ADVERTISEMENT

Proctor will be a bust

Oct 28, 2010
I know this is going to come off as sour grapes and sounds like a crazy theory, but hear me out. Kadyn Proctor is going to be a bust because his PR in the shot put is only 52 feet. That's pretty pathetic for someone who is supposedly one of the top athletes in the country. Someone with his size and strength should be throwing at least in the high 50s even with terrible technique. It really makes me question how athletic and explosive he actually is. For comparison, Brandon Scherff threw 61 feet and Tristan Wirfs threw 66 feet. Still don't buy into my theory? Check out this page which shows a correlation between being a good shot put/discus thrower with being an elite offensive lineman.

I think it is about the same odds that he will be a bust as it is that he will be an NFL 1st round pick like Wirfs. He has the size for sure, but he is definitely not a sure thing right now. I didn't ever see him in person, but his highlight tapes don't tell a whole lot because of the sheer size difference between him and the d ends he was facing. His technique in virtually all of his film shows him imposing his physical dominance by pushing down his opponent or throwing them out of the way, a technique you just don't see in college or pros because of the strength and quickness of the defensive ends at those levels. While he didn't wrestle like Wirfs did (which I think certainly develops a lot of leverage and hand fighting skills needed as an o linemen) he apparently plays basketball but I couldn't find any tape on that, so I have no idea how he moves in space. I will say that even before he committed to Iowa I did read some mixed reviews on people that saw him play football in high school, so that does say something too. So certainly no guarantee of a bust, but certainly no guarantee of a sure thing either. Only time will tell.

On a sidenote, and I will also say this about a player we did get: whether X and/or Proctor signed with Iowa was not really going to make a huge impact on the performance of this team. I am glad we have X, sure, and I wish we had gotten Proctor, especially at a position of need, but to me #1 impact would be QB, #2 would be a true X receiver that can beat man coverage and #3 would be an elite edge rusher like an AJ or Roth and #4 would be a space-eating defensive tackle. I think those positions when filled properly are the difference between an 8-4 type Iowa and an 11-1 type special team. So Proctor or no Proctor I think we will be serviceable on the o-line next year but the massive upgrade at QB will help that a lot, and, if we can be fortunate enough to get a true x receiver 2023 could be really really good. So hopefully they can take the NIL money that was dedicated to Proctor and get that x that we need so badly.

I think it is about the same odds that he will be a bust as it is that he will be an NFL 1st round pick like Wirfs. He has the size for sure, but he is definitely not a sure thing right now. I didn't ever see him in person, but his highlight tapes don't tell a whole lot because of the sheer size difference between him and the d ends he was facing. His technique in virtually all of his film shows him imposing his physical dominance by pushing down his opponent or throwing them out of the way, a technique you just don't see in college or pros because of the strength and quickness of the defensive ends at those levels. While he didn't wrestle like Wirfs did (which I think certainly develops a lot of leverage and hand fighting skills needed as an o linemen) he apparently plays basketball but I couldn't find any tape on that, so I have no idea how he moves in space. I will say that even before he committed to Iowa I did read some mixed reviews on people that saw him play football in high school, so that does say something too. So certainly no guarantee of a bust, but certainly no guarantee of a sure thing either. Only time will tell.

On a sidenote, and I will also say this about a player we did get: whether X and/or Proctor signed with Iowa was not really going to make a huge impact on the performance of this team. I am glad we have X, sure, and I wish we had gotten Proctor, especially at a position of need, but to me #1 impact would be QB, #2 would be a true X receiver that can beat man coverage and #3 would be an elite edge rusher like an AJ or Roth and #4 would be a space-eating defensive tackle. I think those positions when filled properly are the difference between an 8-4 type Iowa and an 11-1 type special team. So Proctor or no Proctor I think we will be serviceable on the o-line next year but the massive upgrade at QB will help that a lot, and, if we can be fortunate enough to get a true x receiver 2023 could be really really good. So hopefully they can take the NIL money that was dedicated to Proctor and get that x that we need so badly.
So you think that of all the areas the team should focus on to improve, the Offensive Line is not in the top 4? Interesting. I must have watched a different team. I'd say O Line first, then QB, then WR. I might jump to the defensive side then to plug places where we've lost talent.

So you think that of all the areas the team should focus on to improve, the Offensive Line is not in the top 4? Interesting. I must have watched a different team. I'd say O Line first, then QB, then WR. I might jump to the defensive side then to plug places where we've lost talent.
Totally agree the ol is priority # 1. But I've been assured by the HR experts that improvement is guaranteed. Qb problem is solved that was #2. WR is #3 and another olb is needed also.

Reactions: Ignored
I know this is going to come off as sour grapes and sounds like a crazy theory, but hear me out. Kadyn Proctor is going to be a bust because his PR in the shot put is only 52 feet. That's pretty pathetic for someone who is supposedly one of the top athletes in the country. Someone with his size and strength should be throwing at least in the high 50s even with terrible technique. It really makes me question how athletic and explosive he actually is. For comparison, Brandon Scherff threw 61 feet and Tristan Wirfs threw 66 feet. Still don't buy into my theory? Check out this page which shows a correlation between being a good shot put/discus thrower with being an elite offensive lineman.
Here's the deal: Shotputting is a VERY form intensive event, about as complex as high jumping in terms of things that can go wrong. The local HS had an absolute Ox that threw 50. Big and a weight room warrior. His form is what kept him from throws of 58-60. Never got the feet switch down. All due respect but I'm sure Proctor is plenty strong for the position. He will do fine.

Reactions: littlez
With respect, shot put is a tricky beast but I’ve known shot putters who threw at a very high level but were pussy’s in the football field. I respect those who can throw one 60 feet or longer. I lost respect for people who use it as a way to measure offensive line potential.

I have zero doubt that he is just regurgitating what Saban was saying to him on the "pitch".
Agree with this. Virtually everything he said sounded a lot like a talking point for Bama versus Iowa. After reading the totality of his comments, I was pretty underwhelmed. No doubt, he could have been more tactful, but I didn't perceive his statements as necessarily throwing Iowa under the bus -- more of just a likely regurgitation of Saban's sales pitch.

He's young and has virtually zero experience with media, apart from the occasional interview with a high school beat reporter or local news personality -- nothing like an established college athlete who gets media training and acquires lots of experience with big-time local and national media. He's basically in over his head at this point. I do think he would have been wise to keep his comments short and sweet and not to try and downplay the financial aspect, which is obviously a major factor. That said, I think the reaction from Iowa fans is much ado about not very much, and it goes without saying that cussing him out on Twitter is extremely poor form.

Sure, it's a gut punch for the Iowa program and fans, but we move on and control what we can control (which, as a fan, is virtually nothing apart from donating to SWARM, which I highly recommend). Upward and onward!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Short arms.

The first time KP picked up a shot put was 21 months ago. 52 feet is pretty good considering he had very little time to learn very complicated technique.

I watched Scherff and Wirfs throw many times. Both started in JH. Both had very good technique. Especially Wirfs.

The first time KP picked up a shot put was 21 months ago. 52 feet is pretty good considering he had very little time to learn very complicated technique.

I watched Scherff and Wirfs throw many times. Both started in JH. Both had very good technique. Especially Wirfs.
Technique is a MAJOR factor.

Proctor has had it easy to this point because he had such a size advantage on the players he faced. The real work begins the minute he steps foot on campus in Tuscaloosa. The upperclassmen are not going to take it easy on him and nearly everyone of them are just as highly regarded as he is. He will have to work, and character issues have a way of rearing their ugly heads when the pressure is on. It is going to be a challenge for him so let’s see what he is made of.

^^^^^^
One of the best comments I’ve seen on this board.

Proctor has had it easy to this point because he had such a size advantage on the players he faced. The real work begins the minute he steps foot on campus in Tuscaloosa. The upperclassmen are not going to take it easy on him and nearly everyone of them are just as highly regarded as he is. He will have to work, and character issues have a way of rearing their ugly heads when the pressure is on. It is going to be a challenge for him so let’s see what he is made of.
Are you saying that at Iowa he wouldn't have had to work? He wouldn't have been challenged? And they would have taken it easy on him?

Additionally, is that any different than most other highly rated O-line prospects? Most of them will have stood out against inferior competition in their high school careers. Seems pretty par for the course.

Are you saying that at Iowa he wouldn't have had to work? He wouldn't have been challenged? And they would have taken it easy on him?

Additionally, is that any different than most other highly rated O-line prospects? Most of them will have stood out against inferior competition in their high school careers. Seems pretty par for the course.
I am not saying that at all. He will be surrounded by players that are just about as highly regarded as he is, and they won’t be easy on him. If he has character issues, then it is possible the kid washes out. That could be especially true if he has any laziness in him after receiving fairly large amounts of cash.

I am not saying that at all. He will be surrounded by players that are just about as highly regarded as he is, and they won’t be easy on him. If he has character issues, then it is possible the kid washes out. That could be especially true if he has any laziness in him after receiving fairly large amounts of cash.
Was he not going to get a big pile of NIL cash from Iowa as well? Maybe not as big as Bama, but still a good amount.

I'm just trying to figure out what you think is going to be so different about his experience at Alabama compared to what he would have had at Iowa.

A_94LM1gfxbOUztn4QioGoMnfEcD051qBuhFCkyQsf7dzAvXNM6iOlrnzEV03sJatoY8xeHoVonZUcoJzICs4bBbJQ4hWInLa8abqClZmjVo_5WU4SMOaYwUjXVFIj2kkvLzOhr9Gqmsjc6HnpeRym1jYxpVqraDcHU3PWn0iTcZui389HFK1CpTCA19rG-zqVhlXXe7-P4hZycNDJrxt_4vOEm_V4V0xSjxrt9peL9eMrEy-Z5Kz02mh4v1PAW8FBAyrzRWWGUabSP5QHEMy4ehr-d7MXn3dB1fJx0AvU4jJJScfOJcLxAdLV9vltV339gwt5Vd3KKbaIRFqJyi2SFSvjntN7ShpbXtPuEqJeIcgT1qXZ_3WPWfwnDlCXdZe9aVW0KQsIdRBur7veS2I081H-c8FdoCn9JbqnZGCIXln2IYXkM86TMGQiGBc8OEhNbNx7FBllmWsEkEqlshDlPAMKtaor1SheXcJWYbEk8axZMz3uxei4GZkDOY4RU0FxfvgsowSlRXJP9jOQNHC725CPcAOybMBBT7Uh46VkpGDnAgRLhlcHLBYckEf_YURwD0nlNAEf1ody-0igIab8YedfO0FZ2nMo9PVDb-yWspmSoj03q7yohL_pxPrwxgKjaId39E3vWBdJ_qGoIJjJ6R-yHCXw0XhYnDa3dlEei8Rq3FmdVfQRAIfdjmCG9wIMuMU3wPD9Hi61n3g0Y5ZIotNyHEfMd7FIWRYtbHh3LguGbnSuVdImmfn8Jf0pi9Y2L5VqT0-6Cj9LFIgtuLqK37QDZA40v055TLjYZTZpzZo84w3i38VxdcRXVSt2v4fAey9dcHNDwgSPdd7LHHf7AayB1bhFjUobArjAC_b2J4ZjZCE2P8M_MDu3DAXuVXuVMBJLFGwHG20Rfrhsh3LCtNDaJeByI-88Y8qtjpSt4H=w499-h371-no

Reactions: Bullethawk31
Was he not going to get a big pile of NIL cash from Iowa as well? Maybe not as big as Bama, but still a good amount.

I'm just trying to figure out what you think is going to be so different about his experience at Alabama compared to what he would have had at Iowa.
He is going to be pushed by more talented players as a whole, and he will wash out quicker if he stumbles, imo.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
He is going to be pushed by more talented players as a whole, and he will wash out quicker if he stumbles, imo.
Well, based on what he said, that's exactly what he was looking for, so I'm guessing you think he made the right decision, if Iowa couldn't give him that.

What character issues has Proctor had so far? The answer is none.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT