ADVERTISEMENT

Projections for Fridays depth chart

Kirk isn’t going to run up the score to get legit reps, so I don’t think this matters
That's a good question. This is kind of a weird year with a new OC coming off the disastrous offenses of the past 2 years. The passing game is by all accounts a work in progress. I think games like this have to be used whenever possible to develop rhythm and see what you have in anticipation for the more challenging contests ahead. If what they are saying is true, they don't even have QB1 settled yet.

Even in that unlikely scenario, wouldn't it still make sense to get as many reps for QB1 and QB2 as possible before the real competition starts?
No, because if you can get up by 40 running 1/3 of the play book, why would you show anymore of the play book then that? If #1 and #2 got you up by 40 running 1/3 of the play book and you do not want to show anymore playbook at that time, then why not put #3 in and get him some real reps? The goal is to have as deep of room as you can, especially if you have any question as to what if #2 ends up being #1 (due to an injury to #1) which now puts #3 1 play away from possibly being called up. Thought we all figured that out with RB's some years back. The entire room of all rooms, needs to be as ready as they can be.

I've long been past the idea of "showing too much of playbook!" Given the past few years and even some of the golden years, it's laughable to think Iowa was holding back some amazing formations/plays/etc for later in the year, etc. Heck, def players would yell out the play before it's ran in most cases, Doc from the Athletic had a very sobering stat a year or so ago re: 11/12 personnel and run/pass, etc. Now, it may be upgraded with Lester yet I don't subscribe to this magic theory of a vanilla playbook...at least not at Iowa!

I've long been past the idea of "showing too much of playbook!" Given the past few years and even some of the golden years, it's laughable to think Iowa was holding back some amazing formations/plays/etc for later in the year, etc. Heck, def players would yell out the play before it's ran in most cases, Doc from the Athletic had a very sobering stat a year or so ago re: 11/12 personnel and run/pass, etc. Now, it may be upgraded with Lester yet I don't subscribe to this magic theory of a vanilla playbook...at least not at Iowa!
Well, you don't show jumbo package if you don't need to. So there does not have to be amazing formations and plays,to show things you do not have to. Because often times in qb keeps. they know which guy they re going to run behind and if they show that enough times, it makes it easier for the LB's to pretty much predict where the ball is going to be. As Lester said in an interview, if these 5 plays are working, why not just keep running them until they do not work anymore.

Its not about some exotic formation or play - it's about wrinkles. For example, you show inside zone out of a particular formation at a particular area of the field as many times as you can on tape. Then in a big game when you need a chunk play and you're at that part of the field, you pull an inside zone play action play out of that formation you haven't shown before and burn the defense. Ken O'Keefe was great at playing this type of chess game. Brian was not. He clearly had football knowledge - the scripted plays were always great. But when you asked him to make strategic move weeks in the waiting, he wasn't very good at it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT