ADVERTISEMENT

Promoting bad behavior.

That’s actually exactly what our teacher/coach taught us, to have respect for each other, have each others back and work together as a group or team.
Much like this softball coach was teaching this 7th grade girl to have some respect for her teacher and other students in class.

Now everyone is judging the teacher because she tried to teach the girl a lesson.

You mean the coach? That's because she did so in a negligent manner and must as a grown up take responsibility for her actions just as the kid needs to take responsibility for hers.

Kid more than served out her punishment for her bad behavior. When does the adult see the same thing?

Reactions: artradley
That’s actually exactly what our teacher/coach taught us, to have respect for each other, have each others back and work together as a group or team.
Much like this softball coach was teaching this 7th grade girl to have some respect for her teacher and other students in class.

Now everyone is judging the teacher because she tried to teach the girl a lesson.
Literally nobody is judging the teacher.

People are questioning the coach and their lack of guidance and accountability. A little girl got injured under the coach's supervision. It doesn't matter WHY the girl was doing bear crawls. What does matter is that she got injured in the process. Not hurt, injured.

For whatever reason, you're bent out of shape over this whole thing because you think the little girl is weak willed and deserved what was coming to her and the media stepped in to save her. In reality, the media stepped in because a coach was being negligent with a child.

I disagree. The outcome was awful and the coach needs reprimanded bc she should have been smart enough to know the turf was too hot.
But extra exercise for misbehaving when you're a part of a team has its place and I have no issues with the premise of it whatsoever.
My kids grew up in athletics and it was commonplace... When handled correctly it can be productive.
I think the entire point is that the punishment went way beyond extra exercise. Just make her run laps.

I disagree. The outcome was awful and the coach needs reprimanded bc she should have been smart enough to know the turf was too hot.
But extra exercise for misbehaving when you're a part of a team has its place and I have no issues with the premise of it whatsoever.
My kids grew up in athletics and it was commonplace... When handled correctly it can be productive.
Well the article did say it was her softball coach.
Maybe the coach had previously laid out that this was punishment if a student athlete was acting out in school.
It appears the teacher let the coach know and she served the punishment.
That’s the way I see it.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Maybe the coach had previously laid out that this was punishment if a student athlete was acting out in school.
That’s the way I see it.

Ok but you have to take into account the temperature of the ground and maybe modify your punishments if it's not going to work safely.

Should she have taken them out into -20 windchills and done the same thing?

Why are you excusing the coach being negligent? Again no one here has expressed an issue with the coach punishing with exercise. The issue we had was it was clearly done in an unsafe manner given that a kid got 2nd degree burns on her hands.

Again do the bear crawls in the gym or make them run laps.

Someone has to in the room. Can’t all be lefties that cry when people act like undisciplined scum and also cry when someone is punished for doing something wrong.

Yeah I can't believe the coach isn't being punished! I expect adults to be more responsible than the kids they oversee. Irresponsible adults can not teach kids responsibility!

Why are you opposed to the coach being held responsible? Do you think responsibility only goes one way?

Ok but you have to take into account the temperature of the ground and maybe modify your punishments if it's not going to work safely.

Should she have taken them out into -20 windchills and done the same thing?

Why are you excusing the coach being negligent? Again no one here has expressed an issue with the coach punishing with exercise. The issue we had was it was clearly done in an unsafe manner given that a kid got 2nd degree burns on her hands.

Again do the bear crawls in the gym or make them run laps.
Because I don’t feel like the coach was being that negligent. She was punishing someone for doing something they shouldn’t have done.
Like I mentioned previously, it was her softball coach and it might have already been determined as a punishment for acting out in class.

If you don’t want the punishment, don’t commit the crime.

You do realize that the child will still get blisters from bear crawls in the gym, they might get them even quicker because of the hand sliding on the gym floor much like a floor burn, except this would be repeated floor burns in the same spot.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
My kids do online school because of disabilities.

In terms of it being different, I feel like I'm going to need objective statistics to back this up. Because "kids these days" statements are as old as humanity itself. So I need something more than people's feelings.

I mean you are essentially saying to me "Yes adults have been saying this thing for 3000 years now, but they were all wrong for the previous 2990 years, it's totally right in the last 10 years.

And I got bullied a lot in middle school while administration did nothing so telling me about how the kids are total bullies now and get away with it would just make me think yeah that's pretty much how it was 30 years ago too.
No one is talking about "kids these days" we're talking about discipline and how it's handled at school now compared to 10-20-30 years ago. Sorry but if you don't think it has, I'm not really interested in wasting time explaining it, nor do I think there's an objective stat that's going to convince you.

Because I don’t feel like the coach was being that negligent. She was punishing someone for doing something they shouldn’t have done.
Like I mentioned previously, it was her softball coach and it might have already been determined as a punishment for acting out in class.

You do realize that the child will still get blisters from bear crawls in the gym, they might get them even quicker because of the hand sliding on the gym floor much like a floor burn, except this would be repeated floor burns in the same spot.

Being that negligent
Being negligent
Negligent

That’s the way I see it.
“Alright, I want you to let me if ANY of my players laugh during your class. I’ll make sure they learn respect”

Reactions: Moral

Gym floors arn't like ropes I doubt she's getting floor burns. Certainly not 2nd degree burns.

Reactions: McLovin32 and Moral
I think the entire point is that the punishment went way beyond extra exercise. Just make her run laps.
Bear crawls, laps, the premise is the same. Remove the hot turf causee burns and it 100% should be a non issue. The coach is an idiot for not realizing the turf could cause the burns. Had that not occurred there should be no issues with the punishment.

One time in baseball practice our center fielder launched a cannon into home plate and nailed our head coach square in the nuts. like a perfect shot. Our 2nd baseman laughed and we all had to run laps.

When we finished he tried to give some lecture about "I didn't make you run because you hit me in the nuts, i made you run because you laughed." Our 2nd baseman replied "yeah cause it was funny." He made us run again.

You know what I remember most from that moment? That our 2nd baseman was right, it was f*cking funny.
Probably my worst personal story is baseball too - we didn't play up to our potential my junior year, and the frustration kept building. After a loss at our rival's field where we blew a lead, the coach made us run laps around their field while their team and fans looked on in amusement or disbelief. It went on an on. Then we had to go out on field and take infield and fly balls until finally their grounds guy said he was turning the lights off. But then we were away again not long after and lost to a bad team making multiple errors. I happened to have none that game, but when I got to the dugout he looked at me and said, "you hands are going to be so f'ing bloody after the game you won't be able to use them for a week." I looked behind me to see who he was talking to which made him madder. Then the game was over and he told us to take our positions and as we started jogging out, he said, "Leave your gloves here, you don't need them." Then he proceeded to hit screaming line drives and grounders at us and everyone had to field 3 straight cleanly and throw to first (or to cutoff if you were in the outfield). A line drive got our best player, senior shortstop, in the thumb and broke it. Didn't find that out until the next day. He coached for years after I was gone. Some parents went to the AD, but nothing happened.

Reactions: millah_22
Probably my worst personal story is baseball too - we didn't play up to our potential my junior year, and the frustration kept building. After a loss at our rival's field where we blew a lead, the coach made us run laps around their field while their team and fans looked on in amusement or disbelief. It went on an on. Then we had to go out on field and take infield and fly balls until finally their grounds guy said he was turning the lights off. But then we were away again not long after and lost to a bad team making multiple errors. I happened to have none that game, but when I got to the dugout he looked at me and said, "you hands are going to be so f'ing bloody after the game you won't be able to use them for a week." I looked behind me to see who he was talking to which made him madder. Then the game was over and he told us to take our positions and as we started jogging out, he said, "Leave your gloves here, you don't need them." Then he proceeded to hit screaming line drives and grounders at us and everyone had to field 3 straight cleanly and throw to first (or to cutoff if you were in the outfield). A line drive got our best player, senior shortstop, in the thumb and broke it. Didn't find that out until the next day. He coached for years after I was gone. Some parents went to the AD, but nothing happened.
wtf

Reactions: EasyHawk
They talk back and disrespect because they are kids and that's what kids do. And people have been talking about how kids these days are super extra disrespectful and they don't face an consequences since the time of socrates.

So I have a hard time believing it's really all that different now than it was in the past.

But ultimately that doesn't matter. What matters is that the grown up needs to find a way of punishing the student that doesn't result in 2nd degree burns.

It's not black and white. It's not either no consequences or 2nd degree burns. You can find that middle ground if you have a halfway functioning adult brain.
Behaviors are worse. They are worse than when I was in school and they have worsened in the last 25 years.

Behaviors are worse. They are worse than when I was in school and they have worsened in the last 25 years.
Most definitely worse than they used to be and parents rarely support the teachers now. Many support their kids now matter what they did. My wife had a parent tell her (and the principal) that she had told her kids the teachers in the school are the stupidest people she has ever met so they didn't have to listen to or follow anything the teachers say.

Gym floors arn't like ropes I doubt she's getting floor burns. Certainly not 2nd degree burns.
lol go do bear crawls up and down a gym floor 10 times and let me know how your hands are doing.

Bear crawls, laps, the premise is the same. Remove the hot turf causee burns and it 100% should be a non issue. The coach is an idiot for not realizing the turf could cause the burns. Had that not occurred there should be no issues with the punishment.

I don’t think any of you realize doing a bunch of bear crawls on any surface will give you blisters. When you’re crawling on your hands and feet for a large amount of time, you get blisters.

They forgot to mention the turf was hot in this article.

This coach saw plenty of blisters over 29 years. I doubt all were from a hot surface.
I also find it interesting that it took 29 years before it changed, or someone started crying about it and he had to change his ways.

Most definitely worse than they used to be and parents rarely support the teachers now. Many support their kids now matter what they did. My wife had a parent tell her (and the principal) that she had told her kids the teachers in the school are the stupidest people she has ever met so they didn't have to listen to or follow anything the teachers say.
You just made me realize that the dumbest parents and people are the ones who like us the least and attack us the most.

Reactions: EasyHawk

What lessons do the kids and coach learn if nothing happens to the coach. Don’t feel this is any different than kids collapsing from dehydration when being denied water or breaks.

What lessons do the kids and coach learn if nothing happens to the coach. Don’t feel this is any different than kids collapsing from dehydration when being denied water or breaks.
No difference between someone having a heat stroke and dying and someone having a sore hand from blisters

Dudes trying to cook. Let him cook.
s8lDCm.gif

200w.gif

There's actually a gigantic difference between those two things.
that’s why I was making fun of tumorboy for saying there was no difference.

I know you love to just try and pick on me so you skip over what’s actually being said and take my comments out of context to make yourself feel better.

IAFB2021champs said
No difference between someone having a heat stroke and dying and someone having a sore hand from blisters

He just took mine out of context. So feel as you have company.
You said “Don’t feel this is any different than kids collapsing from dehydration when being denied water or breaks”

You really don’t think it’s much different?
A person can die from dehydration. I’ve never heard of anyone coming close to dying from getting blisters on their hands.

Also, I’m pretty sure anyone getting caught with not allowing water breaks now days in football could be looking at some time in jail

Someone has to in the room. Can’t all be lefties that cry when people act like undisciplined scum and also cry when someone is punished for doing something wrong.

I assume you understand the coach did something wrong? And should be punished?

If you had a daughter go to the hospital for second-degree burns on her hands that she received as punishment from a teacher/coach, you would not have any problem with it. In fact, you'd tell your daughter she deserved it.

Reactions: McLovin32
There are some really dumb coaches in this world, this story is proof of it. Family will likely sue and win and then a few heads will roll.

Reactions: artradley
If you had a daughter go to the hospital for second-degree burns on her hands that she received as punishment from a teacher/coach, you would not have any problem with it. In fact, you'd tell your daughter she deserved it.
If I had a daughter that was misbehaving in class and not listening and it was justified, I would not have a problem with it at all.

If it does come to that, I will feel like I failed as a parent and would apologize to my child for what they had to go through. Not threaten to sue the school.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT