ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed changes to college wrestling rules

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10889313-ncaa-rules-committee-proposes-massive-changes

And there are a BUNCH of them. 3 point take downs, 3 nearfall points for a 3 count, no riding time point unless you get back points, changing the requirement of top wrestlers that they have to be working to turn/pin rather than just ride, removing the "no reaction time" rear standing TD....plus more.
no riding time point unless you get back points, changing the requirement of top wrestlers that they have to be working to turn/pin rather than just ride,

YES PLEASE

Can’t keep changing rules and scoring and expect to keep an audience. This will become as foreign to high school wrestling as freestyle.

Like with neutral danger, they’re looking to increase scoring, not action. Increased scoring gives the impression that there’s more action when there’s not. A wrestler will be no more aggressive with a 3-point takedown because he’s just as likely to get countered for a TD as before.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Who cares about the RT point if you have backs?!? How often does a wrestler get back points and need the RT point to tie or win? It happens but not very often. Just another complicated rule that makes wrestling difficult to follow. Thank goodness the women are adopting freestyle so at least there’s only one set of rules (even if we don’t always like the rules).

Last edited:
Get rid of riding time:
Pros
- Fewer table errors
- It’s easier to call stalling because the top guy is trying to prevent a point not score a point(unless you are actually trying to turn).
- Kids never had riding time in high school so they won’t miss it.

Cons
- “We had riding time when I was in college.”
- Change is hard
- “Get off my lawn!!!”

Last edited:
How about 1 back point for one swipe?
How about 5 for 5? They’re over complicating things.

Also, although I like the concept of 3 points for a TD, it will lead to quicker TF’s if the 15-point margin is retained. That’s fine if it’s the outcome we want…but I’m not sure that is the case.

Last edited:
I like the 3 point takedown...only gaining 1 point on your opponent when you're the aggressor isn't enough. But as someone else pointed out above, will wrestlers still be hesitant if they know their opponent can get 3 for a good counter? I guess it rewards the aggressive wrestler if he's able to finish more often than not.

Something needs to be done with RT. Nothing as boring as watching a guy rack up 5 min of RT (Warner). I don't know what you do...eliminate it, give them the point at 1 min and put them back into neutral, or whatever, but do something. Call stalling on guys who just hang out on top, and start calling the damn leg trap that PSU does a stall ride.

And as someone pointed out....JUST CALL STALLING! Action is what we want, no necessarily points. There have been really good 4-2 matches with a lot of scrambling...but it's rare. Those are still fun for the fans.

I like the 3 point takedown...only gaining 1 point on your opponent when you're the aggressor isn't enough. But as someone else pointed out above, will wrestlers still be hesitant if they know their opponent can get 3 for a good counter? I guess it rewards the aggressive wrestler if he's able to finish more often than not.

Something needs to be done with RT. Nothing as boring as watching a guy rack up 5 min of RT (Warner). I don't know what you do...eliminate it, give them the point at 1 min and put them back into neutral, or whatever, but do something. Call stalling on guys who just hang out on top, and start calling the damn leg trap that PSU does a stall ride.

And as someone pointed out....JUST CALL STALLING! Action is what we want, no necessarily points. There have been really good 4-2 matches with a lot of scrambling...but it's rare. Those are still fun for the fans.

Saying “JUST CALL STALLING” is nonsensical. Stalling must be redefined, which is looks as if they are trying to do, in a positive way. THEN it must be called. But under current rules, riding to ride isn’t stalling so saying “just call it” makes no sense.

The more I think about it, what’s really the point/virtue of riding time under the proposed rules? Keep the points for a turn (instead of remove) and be done with it. Basically the same difference in many scenarios.

Saying “JUST CALL STALLING” is nonsensical. Stalling must be redefined, which is looks as if they are trying to do, in a positive way. THEN it must be called. But under current rules, riding to ride isn’t stalling so saying “just call it” makes no sense.

The more I think about it, what’s really the point/virtue of riding time under the proposed rules? Keep the points for a turn (instead of remove) and be done with it. Basically the same difference in many scenarios.
Even ignoring the riding to ride periods of a match, there are way too many matches that end the 1st period with only 1 true shot from either competitor. Murin, Brands, Assad, and Warner all had numerous first periods this last year without taking a shot. When they come up against an opponent that won't shoot either, those matches become REALLY boring. There is no reason for stalling not to be called in these instances. Maybe that takes rewording the rulebook, or maybe it just takes refs who are willing to call it. Whatever it takes, get them to start being aggressive and stop the defensive stalemates that the sport has evolved into.

Reactions: artradley
I’m much too young (I’m not) to recall the rules when stalling was called more frequently 30 years ago. What were the rule changes that lead to the present sport where stalling is called less frequent in our sport today? I think we can all agree stalling calls for the first 6:50 are called less frequently today than 30 years ago. Fortunately the meaningless first stall call inside the last :10 is still called:/

The problem with 3-pt TD is that it makes TD attempts even riskier than they already are. I think it could make wrestlers even more hesitant to attack, especially against good counter wrestlers and scramblers.

How about a push out point? Lol

How about bottom guy scores a point if he manages to get out of bounds from center of mat after starting whistle?
I'm picturing a guy desperately trying to crawl out of bounds while the top guy is dragging him back to the center by one leg to continue riding. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12tdsaw and el dub
I can get behind a few of these, but please don't try to implement all of these in one off season. That will make it so unnecessarily difficult to follow not only for the fans, but for the wrestlers, coaches, and refs.

If we think the reviews are bad now, next season is going to be a complete clusterf*ck.

Y'all realize a step out rule in college shrinks the mat and eliminates scoring on the edge? Just call stalling!
It doesn’t have to. It would be easy to allow scoring to continue outside the edge AND have a step out point. For example, only award the step out if no other scoring occurs OR add the step out point to the scoring.

If first period ends 0-0, both guys get an automatic stall call.
I’d go a step further and say auto-double-stall if no TD has been secured in the first 2:00. Then another if still no TD by the end of the period. Mathematically, no first period will go scoreless again, and guys won’t be eating up the first 3 minutes of a match dancing while gazing into one another’s eyes, tying-while-blocking, taking breaks to jog in place/shufflestep, etc. . . .

Simultaneously, make stall penalties warning - 1 pt - 2 pt - 2 pt - DQ.

The above should light fires under butts.

But for the love of something unoffensively holy, do not take away the 2-pt TD. That would be a crime against folkstyle wrestling humanity. I cannot bring myself to embrace “Threeeeee!!!”.

I’m much too young (I’m not) to recall the rules when stalling was called more frequently 30 years ago. What were the rule changes that lead to the present sport where stalling is called less frequent in our sport today? I think we can all agree stalling calls for the first 6:50 are called less frequently today than 30 years ago. Fortunately the meaningless first stall call inside the last :10 is still called:/
Indeed.

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Refs waiting until :10 left to call their token stall, especially at Nationals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT