ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: 2 weeks to get you 9.6% rate Series I bond

notlongago

HR Heisman
Jul 28, 2012
if you're able, worth looking into Series I bonds before 10/28 - lock in 9.6% for the next 6 months (then a drop to a reported ~6%). Not a bad hedge against the markets for the near future while you stock up on low cost stocks/funds. Individuals can get a $10K bond, a trust can do another $10K, and a business another $10K - double that all for spouses.
Once the calendar resets, your cap resets and you can do it again if rates still happen to be high.
Funds are locked for 12 months, but after that, its only a 3 month interest penalty to cash out.

Reactions: hwk23
Never bought a bond in my life but that's a no brainer.

Too bad you can only put in $10k a piece.

Might have to buy a couple.

I was always told "bonds are for kids and retirees" and it stuck and im a bit embarrassed by ignorance on this one. Glad I wised up in time...even the 6% for the last 6 months of the minimum commitment is a solid option.

I was always told "bonds are for kids and retirees" and it stuck and im a bit embarrassed by ignorance on this one. Glad I wised up in time...even the 6% for the last 6 months of the minimum commitment is a solid option.
Yeah I'm pretty much a 100% stocks type of guy myself.

The only bonds we would have would be in mutual funds in the wife's 403b.

Otherwise my retirement account at work allows me to purchase stocks.

10 large is not much of a hedge
but if you have a spouse, its 20K, if you each have a business, its 40K, if you each have a trust, its 60K. You can do it for children as well, im just not as familiar w/ those rules. A family could easily move 50K+ over and that is a decent hedge for a near term shelter.

Reactions: Tenacious E
but if you have a spouse, its 20K, if you each have a business, its 40K, if you each have a trust, its 60K. You can do it for children as well, im just not as familiar w/ those rules. A family could easily move 50K+ over and that is a decent hedge for a near term shelter.
You can also buy one as a gift for your wife (and vice versa) but not deliver it to each till next year. That counts as next year’s contribution but you can lock in the 9.60% rate for the 1st 6 months and then get the 6% rate for the other.

Reactions: notlongago
Should have done this months ago when someone posted about it. I suppose now is better than never. Thanks for reminding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT