ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: TARIFFS to Hit E-Bikes Starting June 14

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
In case anyone was thinking of getting one any time soon.

I’ve read rumblings about this and just haven’t dug deeper in terms of how it’s going to impact U.S. based cycling companies. A big chunk of American company’s e-bike lines are Chinese made, maybe a little less if you get your frames out of Taiwan. Are those components going to be subject to the tariff? Or will they be exempt because they’re “American assembled?” Need to look into it.

This came to my attention when I was perusing Slick Deals and saw what might be a good deal on an e-bike.

Anyone have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive e-bike?

This came to my attention when I was perusing Slick Deals and saw what might be a good deal on an e-bike.

Anyone have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive e-bike?

In general, “you get what you pay for” applies massively on e-bikes. There is so much cheap China shit out there that I would completely avoid it. They’re literally throw away bikes once the components or the battery starts to go.

It’s a matter of opinion once you talk yourself into that $1k-ish+ price point but I think the best option is to pick something from Aventon or RadBikes that suits your needs. Decent bikes, decent components, decent rep, decent service, etc.

No thanks,.. If I need to start a fire I'll just use a match.

Elderly relative was looking at adding electric assist to a recumbent bike.
$1800 for a Chinese version. $3000 for a reputable non Chinese version. Everyone he talked to said to go with the $3000 model.

Elderly relative was looking at adding electric assist to a recumbent bike.
$1800 for a Chinese version. $3000 for a reputable non Chinese version. Everyone he talked to said to go with the $3000 model.

If you've got the money. Absolutely.

I know a few people with this bike and it has been a solid choice in that $1500-$1800 realm (although not as good as the $3K-$6K bikes I've ridden).

To WWJD - just don't buy one of the $5-800 ones. It's a complete waste of money.

Anyone caught riding one of these monstrosities anywhere near a venue that hosts traditional cyclists, should be summarily executed! No, your lame ass on your modified electric scooter does not make you Lance Armstrong or Tadej Pogačar!!

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
Anyone caught riding one of these monstrosities anywhere near a venue that hosts traditional cyclists, should be summarily executed! No, your lame ass on your modified electric scooter does not make you Lance Armstrong or Tadej Pogačar!!

You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself WarmUp! Didn’t know your 30 whole miles was on an ebike. Nice job Special Ed!

If anyone needs running shoes, Temu is running some great deals on Hokas. Almost giving them away. I placed a large order with my credit card and unfortunately mine won't ship for quite some time, but it will be a nice Christmas present to myself.

If you've got the money like I do, E-biking is the most amazing sport out there today!

I know a few people with this bike and it has been a solid choice in that $1500-$1800 realm (although not as good as the $3K-$6K bikes I've ridden).

To WWJD - just don't buy one of the $5-800 ones. It's a complete waste of money. Again, E-biking is a source and better than sex; with my wife anyway!
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! 🤣 "E-bikes are a source?" lol 🧚‍♂️

Man, I want to say that anything that gets people out exercising is a good thing. But 98% of the people that I see on these are doing basically no exercise. They are just riding mopeds on the bike paths, clogging them up. Even worse is when they bring their mopeds on the mountain bike trails and turn them into dirt bikes.

I guess this cat is out of the bag and its too late to put it back. They've taken over the paths. But let's just not pretend that these people are "cycling." They're not.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Man, I want to say that anything that gets people out exercising is a good thing. But 98% of the people that I see on these are doing basically no exercise. They are just riding mopeds on the bike paths, clogging them up. Even worse is when they bring their mopeds on the mountain bike trails and turn them into dirt bikes.

I guess this cat is out of the bag and its too late to put it back. They've taken over the paths. But let's just not pretend that these people are "cycling." They're not.
They should ride the phuckers in their church parking lot!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT