ADVERTISEMENT

Pulp Fiction, 30 years later.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I flipped onto Pulp Fiction yesterday and wound up watching about three quarters of it. Such an impactful movie.
I'm still not sure I'm a fan of Tarantino's decisions to skip around in the timeline, though.
I have two quibbles, I still don't get why Vincent left his gun on the counter when he went to the bathroom at Butch's apartment. Seems like a big mistake for a pro to make. He should have just stopped going to the can in that movie. Nothing good happened when he went to the can.
Second quibble, how did Butch and Marcellus make it into the basement of the pawn shop and not get followed by cops? There was broken glass, blood, and gunshots for the cops to follow.

Reactions: nelly02
I flipped onto Pulp Fiction yesterday and wound up watching about three quarters of it. Such an impactful movie.
I'm still not sure I'm a fan of Tarantino's decisions to skip around in the timeline, though.
I have two quibbles, I still don't get why Vincent left his gun on the counter when he went to the bathroom at Butch's apartment. Seems like a big mistake for a pro to make. He should have just stopped going to the can in that movie. Nothing good happened when he went to the can.
Second quibble, how did Butch and Marcellus make it into the basement of the pawn shop and not get followed by cops? There was broken glass, blood, and gunshots for the cops to follow.
Vincents gun- wasn't it assumed the Butch had skipped town after the fight and only returned home for his watch?

Pawn shop- they were blocks away from the accident, and Zed's partner simply locked the door and put up the closed sign ( I think).

Loved the movie, but those exact two things always bothered me as well. But you have to give some creative license. It’s a movie, not real life.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Thing that bothered me was that Willis stops to make pop-tarts? He’s sneaking around, very careful, and then decides to do that rather than leave after he got his watch?

Like any author’s early novels it gets bonus points for original elements that would become Tarantino staples.

Peak Tarantino for me is Django and Inglorious Bastards.
Agreed. Great movie but behind Inglorious Basterds, Django, Hateful Eight and Reservoir Dogs for me.

I still don't get why Vincent left his gun on the counter when he went to the bathroom at Butch's apartment. Seems like a big mistake for a pro to make.
He left his gun on the counter because even though he was a ‘pro’ he was a colossal fvck-up. He almost got Jules and himself killed at Brett’s apartment because he failed to check the back room. He almost got Mia killed when he left a baggie of highly potent heroin in his coat pocket and she mistook it for cocaine. He crashed into his dealer’s house when he took Mia there after she overdosed. He accidentally shot Marvin’s head off in broad daylight and then disrespected Mr. Wolf when he arrived to help them clean up the mess.

Great character but not exactly a skilled hitman.

He left his gun on the counter because even though he was a ‘pro’ he was a colossal fvck-up. He almost got Jules and himself killed at Brett’s apartment because he failed to check the back room. He almost got Mia killed when he left a baggie of highly potent heroin in his coat pocket and she mistook it for cocaine. He crashed into his dealer’s house when he took Mia there after she overdosed. He accidentally shot Marvin’s head off in broad daylight and then disrespected Mr. Wolf when he arrived to help them clean up the mess.

There was also the line when he said something like “Don’t look at me like that, Jules. I can feel you staring.” suggesting Jules had dealt with Vincent’s amateurishness before.

Well, that was an accident, man. Jules hit a bump in the road.
I can't give you Mia, either. Coke heads digging around in other people's pockets looking for something to snort isn't on Vincent. And, not knowing myself, how much does heroin look like cocaine, anyway?

One of the side effects of heroin detox is diarrhea. Maybe after his little encounter with Mia, he swore off the junk. As for leaving his gun on the counter, he had to think that only an absolute fool would do what Butch did. Yes, a real professional would never do that, but the movie has to happen. And Vincent has demonstrated poor judgement before. Marcellus sent him to Amsterdam for a reason, and it wasn't as a reward. He was running one of Marcellus's clubs, but it is clear that he didn't want to be there. Vincent must have screwed up somewhere.

I can't give you Mia, either. Coke heads digging around in other people's pockets looking for something to snort isn't on Vincent. And, not knowing myself, how much does heroin look like cocaine, anyway?
He also disrupts the de-escalation in the diner.

Vincent is written as a **** up to create contrast with Jules' professionalism.

Last edited:
Heroin is usually stored in balloons, coke in baggies. Vincent’s dealer was out of balloons so he put the heroin in a baggie, which is why Mia thought it was coke.

Vincent had one job that night - take Mia out and show her a good time. And she very nearly died in the process. I doubt that Marcellus Wallace would have cut Vince some slack on account of a technicality.

Heroin is usually stored in balloons, coke in baggies. Vincent’s dealer was out of balloons so he put the heroin in a baggie, which is why Mia thought it was coke.

Vincent had one job that night - take Mia out and show her a good time. And she very nearly died in the process. I doubt that Marcellus Wallace would have cut Vince some slack on account of a technicality.
Well, Marcellus failed to give Vincent all of the variables. He should have warned Vincent that Mia was a coke freak. "Hey, she likes a good burger, maybe some dancing, don't let her have coke".

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Drawing on the bathroom scene where Vincent gets killed, okay, so he isn't the brightest hit man, but why would he close the bathroom door? He's alone in the place, and waiting on someone. Keep the door open so you can hear better, and if nobody is there, what does it matter if you are dropping a deuce with the door open?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Drawing on the bathroom scene where Vincent gets killed, okay, so he isn't the brightest hit man, but why would he close the bathroom door? He's alone in the place, and waiting on someone. Keep the door open so you can hear better, and if nobody is there, what does it matter if you are dropping a deuce with the door open?
Habit would be the simplest answer

Reactions: artradley

This, and let’s not forget, he was a serious drug addict. Plus, he likely assumed there was no way in hell Butch would be stupid enough to go home after the fight. And to OP’s other gripe, the time jumping was so original and brilliant imo. Pulp Fiction was so ground breaking it’s a Goddamn institution. It’s by far his best film imo.

Even more baffling - the pop tarts only toasted for 39 seconds before the toaster popped up. That’s an abnormally brief period of time.

let it go GIF

Reactions: TJ8869
This, and let’s not forget, he was a serious drug addict. Plus, he likely assumed there was no way in hell Butch would be stupid enough to go home after the fight. And to OP’s other gripe, the time jumping was so original and brilliant imo. Pulp Fiction was so ground breaking it’s a Goddamn institution. It’s by far his best film imo.
I think an argument could be made that the use of non-linear chronology was the biggest factor in the film's critical acclaim.

Poor trigger discipline.

Reactions: seminole97
I read one theory that the gun was actually Marcellus'. He left his gun out to go get some food, so Vincent wasn't even aware about it. That feels more realistic in my mind.

What kind of animal leaves a bathroom door open, ever?

Reactions: artradley
I read one theory that the gun was actually Marcellus'. He left his gun out to go get some food, so Vincent wasn't even aware about it. That feels more realistic in my mind.
It's plausible, but imagine you're writing the screenplay. Which scenario sounds more impactful:

a) Vincent, a continual **** up, dies by his own gun.
b) Vincent, a continual **** up, dies because his boss ****ed up.

It's obviously choice A.

The bigger problems I have with the scene are:

1) Butch parks a block away and sneaks through a vacant lot to survey the situation, but then strolls through main courtyard, uses the stairwell closest to his apartment instead of the stairwell that would give him a better visual of his front door, and enters through his front door when we later see a back door exists.

His exit from the boxing match demonstrates that he's athletic enough and clever enough to scale his second story balcony. Perhaps he doesn't have a key for the back door, since a second story balcony door would not be considered an entrance. But, it would at least allow him a visual into the apartment from an angle an assailant would not be expecting.

2) Again, he's written as a clever character, but the scene shows him doing a poor job of clearing the entire apartment. Perhaps a director's choice to condense the scene? Even so, he visually checks the kitchen for an intruder but doesn't immediately notice the gun sitting in plain site on the counter? Come on, man.

Last edited:
Pulp Fiction was an awful movie IMO. This goes against the grain in what is deemed an avant garde, but it didn't trip my trigger in my times viewing it.

Parts of Inglorious Bastards was entertaining, and I rewatch those parts of the recording. I have idea what the intentions were re: the movie theatre section. Was it purely entertainment or what. A bent on historical accounts maybe? WTF? Well, the rest of the movie was good enough to skip through to get the good parts.

Pulp Fiction was an awful movie IMO. This goes against the grain in what is deemed an avant garde, but it didn't trip my trigger in my times viewing it.

Parts of Inglorious Bastards was entertaining, and I rewatch those parts of the recording. I have idea what the intentions were re: the movie theatre section. Was it purely entertainment or what. A bent on historical accounts maybe? WTF? Well, the rest of the movie was good enough to skip through to get the good parts.
Chris Rock Reaction GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT