ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Match Thread

I actually started feeling sorry for the kid The bull was mauling.... cash looks a lot quicker at 84... nice win for Bowman doing his Warner imitation....going to be a long season on this board if people don’t lighten up
I think future matches will be easier, although still frustrating, on the fan base because we’ve been warned and know what to expect. The surprise element after having high expectations was a holiday gift nobody wanted. Of course the scouting element has taken a hefty hit now that the cat’s out of the proverbial bag.

I’m sure the guys would have wrestled if they could, why wouldn’t they? So they are injured and need to heal. I understand the disappointment though. It’s not like they missed some big matchups. I really worry about Stoll being 100% physically. He couldn’t go all fall.

I actually started feeling sorry for the kid The bull was mauling.... cash looks a lot quicker at 84... nice win for Bowman doing his Warner imitation....going to be a long season on this board if people don’t lighten up
I think future matches will be easier, although still frustrating, on the fan base because we’ve been warned and know what to expect. The surprise element after having high expectations was a holiday gift nobody wanted. Of course the scouting element has taken a hefty hit now that the cat’s out of the proverbial bag.[/

I buy season tickets I get the disappointment between the weak home schedule and holding starters out.... but there were positives today.... I figure no matter how much I gripe .... Brands will do what he wants anyway....looking forward to Midlands and whooping ISU next weekend

Reactions: AFHawk86
I’m sure the guys would have wrestled if they could, why wouldn’t they? So they are injured and need to heal. I understand the disappointment though. It’s not like they missed some big matchups. I really worry about Stoll being 100% physically. He couldn’t go all fall.
I think missing a good portion of the season is less of an issue for a heavyweight for a number of reasons (weight cut non issue, style of wrestling, array of offensive strategy, etc.). Kem, on the other hand, jumping 2 weight classes with less time for live competition adjustment is more concerning.

Ok, home now and had a little time to reflect. The 2nd half of the dual was a lot better. 1st half just seemed off. The thing that bothers me the most is having our starters out and the crowd was kinda ho-hum. Not the best atmosphere for a elite recruit like Howard. Things/wrestlers that impressed me were: Bowman winning was Huge. Desanto left some pts out there but had a solid win. Murin looked solid but once again probably should have scored more. Happel looked pretty good liked how he attacked and rode up a weight. Young with a 2nd period fall was nice. Seems like that ignited something. Bull is the Bull and honestly right now outside of Lee is our best wrestler. Wilcke cant believe I am saying this but man did he look good out there. Nice attacks showed his quickness and used multiple different takedowns other than just his duck.
I guess the thing that bothered me the most was the atmosphere or lack of for Howard. Not a good sale. That being said I don't know what the reasons were for holding out some of the starters but the coaches do and that's all that matters. Not giving up hope for sure. I just want us at full strength to see where we are against the other top 3 teams.
Very similar to my thoughts and conversation with my son on the way home.

No one wants to admit that duals are almost pointless, but that is the reality.
Reality is wrestling season is long.
The Conference and National tournaments are really all that matter.
Seeds mean some, but not that much.
Attendance records dont matter much either. If the Hawks can set themselves up to be healthy and peaking in March the season will be made right there.
I kind of enjoy watching guys like Bowman and Perez go out and compete hard against solid conference opponents.
However, I cant wait to see our A1 lineup whenever that happens.
what happens if you get the colosseum built and no one wants the product...but they could put in a drive-through for the ice cream sales.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
So. I'm a first time season ticket holder this year. I couldn't attend the Princeton meet due to work so this is my first meet attended in person in almost 20 years.
A little disappointed that Spencer Lee wasn't going but I trust the coaches know what they're doing. Carver was a lot more quiet than I remember. That said I had a great time!
Somewhat surprised Lyon got a pretty big reception for Purdue. Must have been a lot of Dyersville people there today.
Here's to a championship season... Go Hawks!
Carver WAS very quiet today. Embarrassingly quiet. A lot of people I talked to were surprised at so much JV for two meets in a row. I think they made a mistake starting the meet at 197 with 3 backups in a row. I think it's better to ride the high rather than try to bring the crowd back up later.

Carver WAS very quiet today. Embarrassingly quiet. A lot of people I talked to were surprised at so much JV for two meets in a row. I think they made a mistake starting the meet at 197 with 3 backups in a row. I think it's better to ride the high rather than try to bring the crowd back up later.
It was a random draw for the starting weight since the coaches didn’t agree to start at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT