ADVERTISEMENT

QB starter for Illinois State

Stanzi and Christiansen split reps the first 5 games in 08. They each had 10-15 pass attempts each game. I think we'll see something similar, hopefully only for the first 3 non conference games though, not the first 5.
And Stanzi was clearly the better of the two. Kirk will always be remembered for his ineptitude at evaluating QB play.

Both should play about an equal amount of time vs. Illinois State. That would only be fair to the QBs and to the team. Practice is practice. Only the games matter, and anyone who evaluates athletes on practice alone is making a huge mistake.
That should definitely happen, KF loves to split time between QB’s.

sddefault.jpg
Both should play about an equal amount of time vs. Illinois State. That would only be fair to the QBs and to the team. Practice is practice. Only the games matter, and anyone who evaluates athletes on practice alone is making a huge mistake.

Which tells you just how far the offense has been allowed to slide. You can only ignore the passing game so much... eventually quarterbacks and wide receivers will cease to have interest. That's where we are. It's a self-created problem.
And yet we have had two quality QB’s transfer in and some good WR’s as well.( Kaleb Brown, and Jacob Gill) .

And yet we have had two quality QB’s transfer in and some good WR’s as well.( Kaleb Brown, and Jacob Gill) .
Yes, but I'll play devil's advocate.

Neither QB has proven themselves yet. Prior to geting injured last year Cade had 4 TDs and 3 INTs against the weakest part of the schedule, 51% passing. His passer rating was 101, not a huge jump up from Hill @88. Brown had 215 yards and 1 TD. Gill looks promising but again, unproven.

BTW, why aren't we getting enough good recruits such that we have to rely on transfers?

Last edited:
That should definitely happen, KF loves to split time between QB’s.
Dripping sarcasm but you are correct as early season if the #1 QB is doing well then he needs to get all or as many snaps as possible for Kirk to get his offense well oiled. Remember even when Iowa has really good offenses they hardly ever come out of the gate at full efficiency

Reactions: BirdistheWord
KF is notorious for not playing two qbs even in games that are well decided. It’s almost like he tries to avoid a fan qb controversy or debate. I don’t think there is any ways the qb’s play an equal amount, but having packages for both and getting both meaningful playing time would be a huge step forward.

Dripping sarcasm but you are correct as early season if the #1 QB is doing well then he needs to get all or as many snaps as possible for Kirk to get his offense well oiled. Remember even when Iowa has really good offenses they hardly ever come out of the gate at full efficiency

That is a fair point, but even slipping in a few series for the #2 is a must. It’s not going to take away any meaningful reps and injuries are so common that you have to have your #2 ready.

Reactions: amahawk
That is a fair point, but even slipping in a few series for the #2 is a must. It’s not going to take away any meaningful reps and injuries are so common that you have to have your #2 ready.
I am in a bit of disagreement with Kirk hardly ever playing his 2nd string qb until late in games, usually very late, where all the #2 does is handoff. I think a 3 score 17+ point lead is safe enough with our defense to give the #2 a series early in the third, maybe late or early in the 4th. And if the lead is 4 scores let them finish the game using the full playbook to try to move the ball.

Stanzi's injury in 2009 was evidence of not having your #2 have any playing time. same with Rudock not getting on the field in 2012.

• Love
Reactions: BirdistheWord

Neither QB has proven themselves yet. Prior to geting injured last year Cade had 4 TDs and 3 INTs against the weakest part of the schedule, 51% passing. His passer rating was 101, not a huge jump up from Hill @88. Brown had 215 yards and 1 TD. Gill looks promising but again, unproven.

BTW, why aren't we getting enough good recruits such that we have to rely on transfers?
Cade was injured in the kids day scrimmage last season. He was never at 100 percent. Let's see how a game or two go before throwing in the towel.

Your statement "prior to getting injured" says it all. He was NEVER near 100% last season. Thats obvious. We'll see where he is in a few days..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT