ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Quarterbacks Struggle in Kids' Day Tune-Up

Adam Jacobi

HB MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
IOWA CITY — Iowa's annual Kids' Day open practice, held Saturday at Kinnick Stadium, is an opportunity for families to bring their young ones to see a tune-up from the Hawkeyes and snag a few autographs along the way.

Some of the throws by Iowa's quarterbacks Saturday may have sent the parents scrambling to cover their kids' eyes.

Jokes aside, Saturday's game wasn't a cause for panic for the Hawkeyes, who are still adjusting to new offensive coordinator Tim Lester and his playbook, but it was a forceful reminder that the work is still very, very much in progress.

"We're just going to let all three guys keep playing," said head coach Kirk Ferentz after the open practice. "With quarterbacks, you've just got to let them keep playing, see what they can do. We're going to keep giving all three guys good reps."

FREE:

IOWA CITY — Iowa's annual Kids' Day open practice, held Saturday at Kinnick Stadium, is an opportunity for families to bring their young ones to see a tune-up from the Hawkeyes and snag a few autographs along the way.

Some of the throws by Iowa's quarterbacks Saturday may have sent the parents scrambling to cover their kids' eyes.

Jokes aside, Saturday's game wasn't a cause for panic for the Hawkeyes, who are still adjusting to new offensive coordinator Tim Lester and his playbook, but it was a forceful reminder that the work is still very, very much in progress.

"We're just going to let all three guys keep playing," said head coach Kirk Ferentz after the open practice. "With quarterbacks, you've just got to let them keep playing, see what they can do. We're going to keep giving all three guys good reps."

FREE:

Can’t even blame Brian for Sullivan.

What is it about Iowa City that turns quarterbacks to shit?

So, what I’m reading is this is going to be a long season. 😒

really hope dakin is good enough to be a dark horse heisman candidate and complements the defense to power ugly iowa to cfp.

Not a hot take but Sullivan wasn't good at NW. Maybe he will do better here? I vote we just let Lainez run loose and just dual threat?
Ummmm, the guy completed 63 and 71% of his passes the last two years at NW! Granted, he wasn’t a full time starter. Let me give you a painful reminder that the last QB we had that finished with at least a 61% completion in a season was CJ Beathard in 2015. Those numbers should excite you.

Didn’t see the scrimmage, but I have to believe there’s still a cumulative issue here with WRs being less than stellar in getting separation. Yes we’ve heard a lot about this offense intentionally getting WRs more involved and 3 WR sets. But that doesn’t magically make them better. IMO, the jury is still out on the OL, WR, and the QBs collectively.

McNutt, DJK, Mo Brown, ISM, and Ed Hinkle aren’t suiting up for us this year. Who’s gonna become a go-to playmaker in that group that can consistently get good separation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT