ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterbacks Who Were 2 Year Team Captains

TJFant

HR All-State
Oct 1, 2019
With this Saturday being Senior Day in Kinnick Stadium, it affords us Hawkeye fans an opportunity to thank a group of young men who have busted their asses for the University over the last 4-5 years. One of those young men has borne the brunt of much criticism in certain circles over the past 3 years. Like him or not, Nate Stanley has given his all for Hawkeye nation during his tenure at Iowa and is so revered by his teammates that I believe he has been voted a team captain every game over the last 2 years. My question is can anyone recall other Hawkeye signal callers who were 2 or more year team captains?

With this Saturday being Senior Day in Kinnick Stadium, it affords us Hawkeye fans an opportunity to thank a group of young men who have busted their asses for the University over the last 4-5 years. One of those young men has borne the brunt of much criticism in certain circles over the past 3 years. Like him or not, Nate Stanley has given his all for Hawkeye nation during his tenure at Iowa and is so revered by his teammates that I believe he has been voted a team captain every game over the last 2 years. My question is can anyone recall other Hawkeye signal callers who were 2 or more year team captains?

I assume Stanzi was? And Drew Tate

They both were, as was Stanley. Used to be just seniors that earned it. Other two years: Kaeding, Hinkel, Clayborn, Morris, Weisman, Kirksey and Jewell (only three time captain).
Thanks for the info----I had been trying to find it.

From 1889 - 1935 there was only one Cpt named
From 1935 - 1971 there were one or two Cpts named
From 1971 - 1977 there were two or three Cpts named

1978 to present has been the amount we are used to seeing.
There have been four 2 timers:
Ricky Stanzi
James Vandenberg
CJ
Stanzi

So its a recent trend I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT