ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about spiking (clocking) the ball

El Simbolo

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
Saw where Minny spiked it backwards - not a fumble, huh?

Also, can you spike it even if the clock isn’t moving? When it became evident MSU was going to hurry to kick the FG that seemed like recipe for disaster to me. Made me wonder if they could have lined up and spiked it again even though the clock was stopped.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Great point about spiking it backward. I've wondered about that too. It seems to me a backward spike, by rule, is a lateral. And that means it's a free ball and, since it's a backward pass/lateral, shouldn't the clock continue to run?
If I were a coach, KF for instance, I'd get answers to those questions in writing and have them in my pocket along with my notebook and my chewing gum every game. And when the situation comes up, I'd tell the officials to watch for a backward spike and make sure they know the rules.

No. Intentional Grounding is only the case where it is done to avoid a loss of yardage.
His point is not the purpose of the rule; regardless of the reason for it, since it says you must be outside the tackle box and pass beyond the line of scrimmage for it not to be a penalty, clearly clocking the ball must have special rules governing it.

His point is not the purpose of the rule; regardless of the reason for it, since it says you must be outside the tackle box and pass beyond the line of scrimmage for it not to be a penalty, clearly clocking the ball must have special rules governing it.
There is also a rule that says the person who takes the snap from center can spike it Immediately after gaining possession and it won’t be a penalty. That means the QB can’t take the snap, look up to see if anyone is open, then if not, spike it.

I believe spiking the ball gets special rules. If you wanted to be picky about it, they should always be considered intentional grounding.
I have always thought that as well, don't see how that should not be intentional grounding, I mean by definition you are certainly doing it intentionally and your not out of the box, its not past the line of scrimmage, and your not throwing it too anyone......:confused:

To pile on, I’ve always felt that it was a “cheat” not intended within the spirit of the game and that it should be removed. It’s a loophole that got codified.

I didn't see the Minny play, but I've seen other spikes that appeared to go backward. They've all been ruled a spike and incomplete. SOP in the biz.

I have always thought that as well, don't see how that should not be intentional grounding, I mean by definition you are certainly doing it intentionally and your not out of the box, its not past the line of scrimmage, and your not throwing it too anyone......:confused:
Well, if you have a running back, there is a receiver in the area, so there is that.

Same weirds rules about fake field goals and extra points. Technically the holder's knee is down but he still gets to hop up and attempt a fake.

I am trying to think, I'm sure it has happened, but can you spike it from the shotgun, or do you have to be under center?

Same weirds rules about fake field goals and extra points. Technically the holder's knee is down but he still gets to hop up and attempt a fake.
Yeah, but he has to touch the ball to the ground. Not sure if that technically counts as a "fumble", but I think that is the college and high school rule at least.

I am trying to think, I'm sure it has happened, but can you spike it from the shotgun, or do you have to be under center?
Hawaii spiked it twice against Oregon State from the shotgun earlier this year.

Yeah, but he has to touch the ball to the ground. Not sure if that technically counts as a "fumble", but I think that is the college and high school rule at least.
You can't advance a fumble with your knee touching either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT