ADVERTISEMENT

Have we talked about the debate surrounding speed limiters in big rig trucks?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

The mega fleets’ foolhardy stance on speed limiters​

AUGUST 25, 2023

Jami Jones
|
Ahhh, here it comes. The Trucking Alliance, the mega fleet group. In all of its smugness, the group has weighed in opposing the DRIVE Act.

Quickly for those who need to catch up: Lawmakers are rallying together to prevent the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration from mandating speed limiters on all large trucks. It’s called the DRIVE Act.

The push for a speed limiter mandate has been led, not surprisingly, by the American Trucking Associations and a smattering of safety groups. Now The Trucking Alliance, with its whopping 11-member group, has weighed in on the fray in opposition to the DRIVE Act.

While not at all surprising on any level, these large fleet groups like to lob safety benefits as the motivation behind the mandate. What is surprising is that they are either too arrogant or too ignorant to expect someone to take a deep dive into their inspection data.

Senior Editor Mark Schremmer and I had a gleeful time doing so earlier this week. We looked up each of The Trucking Alliance members’ CSA Safety Measurement System inspection data. Specifically, we looked for speeding violations and crashes. We excluded crashes that were determined by FMCSA to be non-preventable, even though we know speed limiters could very well have been a contributing factor in that non-preventable crash. More on that in a minute.

The Trucking Alliance proudly claims that 98% of their members’ trucks are speed limited. OK, fine. That’s their choice. Now, let’s look at the numbers.

The Trucking Alliance is comprised of large fleets Maverick, Bison, Cargo Transporters, Dupré Logistics, J.B. Hunt, KLLM Transport Services, Knight Transportation, May Trucking Company, Schneider, Swift and U.S. Xpress. Over the past two years, they had combined totals of 3,406 crashes that were not determined non-preventable and 3,481 speeding violations.

Let me say this slowly.

Speeding. Is. Speeding. Period.

Speeding in a 50 mph or 60 mph speed zone is still speeding.

The reality is that these large fleets who neuter their trucks to speeds well below the speed limits in a number of states are creating an unsafe environment on the road.

Let me point out a couple of big ways these speed-limited trucks are a menace to society.
  1. They are pissing off impatient passenger cars who lose their fool minds and perform unsafe maneuvers and interactions. All too frequently likely resulting in a non-preventable crash with the speed-limited truck. And guess what? That crash will probably also wind up being settled by the trucking company.
  2. Most motor carriers pay by the mile. Speed limiters lead to fewer miles and less pay. That creates a negative incentive to speed in lower speed limit areas, like rural highways and construction zones, where crashes are more likely. Throw in the electronic logging mandate these large groups also advocated for, and it’s turned into a recipe for disaster.
Now these groups will most certainly point to their out-of-service records. All 11 motor carrier members of The Trucking Alliance are below the national average in all categories.

So what?

That’s the equivalent of being graded on the curve in school. You know, the one where the whole class flunks a test, but the highest F in the class gets an A for earning the distinction of being the best loser?

The reality is out there in plain sight on every highway around the country, every day. Wrapping arguments for things like speed limiters in a fuzzy safety blanket is just trying to hide the grim realities.

Speed differentials are dangerous, and people drive stupidly because of them. Heap on a healthy serving of distracted driving, and if every truck is speed-limited, I don’t even want to know the carnage that will result from passenger cars rear-ending trailers.

Fortunately, lawmakers are seeing these realities, and we have the DRIVE Act in play. Visit FightingForTruckers.com and encourage your lawmaker to sign on. Drivers, we have allies; we just need more.

My son bought a Freightliner box truck that had one when he got it. Had to take it in for the DOT inspection so he had the dealership take it off. It will run 85 MPH all day long now, loaded or unloaded.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Best idea ever seriously
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by Laff

How about a lane switch sensor preventing them from moving into the fast lane if there are any approaching vehicles within one mile. I'd support the heck outta that initiative!

Vehicles on the roadway are supposed to get into the left lane if approaching a vehicle on the shoulder.

If you're following a semi with this device installed, and you're within a mile - he can't get over. So, what's he supposed to do? Stop? Pull over to the shoulder too and wait for traffic to clear within a mile before proceeding?

Reactions: seminoleed
Vehicles on the roadway are supposed to get into the left lane if approaching a vehicle on the shoulder.

If you're following a semi with this device installed, and you're within a mile - he can't get over. So, what's he supposed to do? Stop? Pull over to the shoulder too and wait for traffic to clear within a mile before proceeding?
Debbiedowner.jpg

If there's a God in Heaven, yes!

How about this, (I'll make a tweak to the system). When a truck crosses over into the fast lane, their vehicle is forced into acceleration. If they are on a steep incline, though, the previous measures are enforced.

BitesizedFocusedHoatzin-max-1mb.gif

If there's a God in Heaven, yes!

How about this, (I'll make a tweak to the system). When a truck crosses over into the fast lane, their vehicle is forced into acceleration. If they are on a steep incline, though, the previous measures are enforced.

BitesizedFocusedHoatzin-max-1mb.gif

How about we just let humans determine the proper speed instead of machines doing that for us?

Debbiedowner.jpg

Yeah, I know.

One thing I keep forgetting to reply with in those "driving pet peeves" threads that come out here every month is when you're in the right lane and see a vehicle pulled over on the shoulder. You look in the mirror, and see vehicle(s) that were following you are now already in the left lane coming up from behind going much faster - and block you into the right lane.

You know damn well, THEY saw the vehicle pulled over also. They couldn't just pull over to the left and stay put in line to match your speed so you too can get over - they just gotta pass you in the process too.

I hate getting behind a lane blocking truck. Just like cars, move your bitch ass out of the left lane!!!
When they get stuck in the left lane because everyone starts passing them on the right, and then a slow car on the right is now matching speeds with the semi on the left and you're stuck behind both.

How about a lane switch sensor preventing them from moving into the fast lane if there are any approaching vehicles withing one mile. I'd support the heck outta that initiative!
LOL, Where is this fast lane you speak of. Never in all my years of driving have I seen a lane marked as the fast lane.

• Wow
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Yeah, I know.

One thing I keep forgetting to reply with in those "driving pet peeves" threads that come out here every month is when you're in the right lane and see a vehicle pulled over on the shoulder. You look in the mirror, and see vehicle(s) that were following you are now already in the left lane coming up from behind going much faster - and block you into the right lane.

You know damn well, THEY saw the vehicle pulled over also. They couldn't just pull over to the left and stay put in line to match your speed so you too can get over - they just gotta pass you in the process too.
So many variables to consider though. For example if traffic is thick, and the vehicle on the shoulder is unoccupied, the safety benefit by moving from the right to the left lane swiftly, is mull and boyd.

So you’re one of those?
We call them Left Lane Loungers.

and HROT loathes them.

I had some serious road rage in my younger years. I have definitely calmed the eff down as I have gotten older, but those feelings definitely boil up when a semi pulls into the left lane to “pass” another semi and they both go 3 under the speed limit for a few miles. Once they pass, back up to 5 over. Just dirty.

How about we just let humans determine the proper speed instead of machines doing that for us?
You want an inexperienced driver in their 20s who is sleep deprived, angry at their dispatcher, or one of the semi drivers who post here while driving to decide what the proper speed is?
The big push for safety is coming from customers and carriers, both. Fuel efficiency is right behind safety when it comes to regulating speed.
If someone drives recklessly because they are mad about a truck in the left lane it’s still on the driver attempting to pass. Whether it makes you angry or not to wait on someone, you still have to maintain control of your vehicle, even if you are inconvenienced by 2 minutes lost.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Kind of hard to regulate speeding when the speed limit changes from state to state.

I cannot wait until the technology is good enough for all of us to have autonomous vehicles. 95% of people will get everywhere much faster than they currently do. No traffic jams, no accidents, you’ll know when you leave exactly when you’ll arrive.

It sounds so heavenly. But you know there’s going to be idiots complaining about “muh freedoms!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT