ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking B1G Football Helmets

Michigan can’t be elite if other schools also have it. The ny giants have it on their throw back uniforms. Princeton had them before Michigan. Ohio states bucknuts is weak as well.

The single letter helmets are lame. And there’s a lot of them. IU is two letters, but I’ll lump them in with this group. All should be down at the bottom.

You can’t have USC and MSU on different lines unless MSU is using their stupid S logo. I’d rank them on par with Iowa for using a single color logo. Not sure that makes them truly elite, but probably above the “good” line.

UCLA and Maryland are equivalent and probably between the mid and good levels. Definitely a step below the USC/MSU/Iowa helmets because you shouldn’t have to read to see who a team is.

OSU and PSU’s base helmets are equally boring, but at least OSU adds the stickers. Neither belong a I’ve the mid tier.

Iowa’s has been pretty much untouched for 45 years now. USC for a bit longer and Michigan for much longer. Oregon probably doesn’t know what their real helmets look like from changing identities so much over the last several decades. They used to use an O and their winged ones look stupid. So they’re in the bottom group.

Michigan can’t be elite if other schools also have it. The ny giants have it on their throw back uniforms. Princeton had them before Michigan. Ohio states bucknuts is weak as well.
Agreed…I’d put Michigan in the “good” category, but no higher.

The single letter helmets are lame. And there’s a lot of them. IU is two letters, but I’ll lump them in with this group. All should be down at the bottom.

You can’t have USC and MSU on different lines unless MSU is using their stupid S logo. I’d rank them on par with Iowa for using a single color logo. Not sure that makes them truly elite, but probably above the “good” line.

UCLA and Maryland are equivalent and probably between the mid and good levels. Definitely a step below the USC/MSU/Iowa helmets because you shouldn’t have to read to see who a team is.

OSU and PSU’s base helmets are equally boring, but at least OSU adds the stickers. Neither belong a I’ve the mid tier.

Iowa’s has been pretty much untouched for 45 years now. USC for a bit longer and Michigan for much longer. Oregon probably doesn’t know what their real helmets look like from changing identities so much over the last several decades. They used to use an O and their winged ones look stupid. So they’re in the bottom group.
You make a good point.

O5E8gG4.png

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Hands down the best Big Ten helmet is

Florida-State-helmet1280.jpg

Wildly unpopular opinion as normally I love helmet stickers. I love the tomahawk but it's too big. No matter what, I do appreciate your attempt to do something cool and different.

I know I'm biased as can be but black and gold is so, so clean. The tigerhawk is litetally amazing. I don't know how is not the best in the Big Ten. I like Michigan St. and Michigan to be up at the top with us.

Thank you for those pointing out the "classic" helmet being boring like Penn St, Nebraska, and Ohio St (although they have the best of the 3). Don't kill me but Minnesota's huge Goldie face helmet looks cool.

Last edited:
(C. It belongs on the elite line for sure. Except for those little stickers. Don’t clutter a great helmet.

When y’all joining? Let’s get those lawsuits settled I want to get to a game in Tally.

I was really hoping for 2025 but it’s looking like 2026 or 2027 instead.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there especially from BSPiN. But being an attorney and having reviewed the pleadings and attached exhibits it looks like FSU is bound to the ACC only through 2027, so at most we would need to buy out one or hopefully two years worth of contract. That’s because the original contract that we signed allowed ESPN to make an election to extend at 2021 until 2036, but ESPN did not actually extend at that time, instead the ACC Commissioner extended the time for ESPN to 2025 in exchange for a sweetheart deal for his son and his son’s company to get tertiary rights. NONE of that was approved by 2/3s of the ACC vote as required by the agreement FSU signed with the ACC. So ESPN has already missed their chance to reup and force FSU in through 2036 because there was a material change to the contract not approved by either FSU or 2/3s ACC vote but was made illegally by the ACC Commissioner. That’s why they didn’t want their contracts getting out. Because FSU is free in 2027.

Last edited:
I was really hoping for 2025 but it’s looking like 2026 or 2027 instead.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there especially from BSPiN. But being an attorney and having reviewed the pleadings and attached exhibits it looks like FSU is bound to the ACC only through 2027, so at most we would need to buy out one or hopefully two years worth of contract. That’s because the original contract that we signed allowed ESPN to make an election to extend at 2021 until 2036, but ESPN did not actually extend at that time, instead the ACC Commissioner extended the time for ESPN to 2025 in exchange for a sweetheart deal for his son and his son’s company to get tertiary rights. NONE of that was approved by 2/3s of the ACC vote as required by the agreement FSU signed with the ACC. So ESPN has already missed their chance to reup and force FSU in through 2036 because there was a material change to the contract not approved by either FSU or 2/3s ACC vote but I we made illegally wildly by the ACC Commissioner. That’s why they didn’t want their contracts getting out. Because FSU is free in 2027.
Agree. Sadly, the numpty commissioner has a chance to listen to what FSU and Clemson was saying and get creative with Capital Equity infusion investment and paying extra to keep the most valuable programs intact for negotiations but completely dropped the ball.

Meaning a true smart commissioner with all these facts would have looked at 2027 as giant upgrade opportunity not involving espn and kept their most valuable assets until then.

UMich’s is worth 7 points. Everyone else falls in line behind the Wolverine helmet.

Wanna do bands?
They all line up behind TBDBITL and their “Script OHIO”….
USC Trojan band is a distant second…those are two great marching bands.

There is only one definition for best helmet(s) in the B1G; black helmet with a gold Tiger Hawk on it or GTFO.

I would agree, with a couple caveats. Before that, I do love Iowa's Tiger Hawk helmet - it was awesome when it was introduced and is still awesome today.

Caveats...

1) If Iowa were to do any alternative helmet, just reverse the colors. Tiger Hawk helmet design just like the current standard issue - gold background, black TH and stripe. None of that funky reflective or shadow stuff or offset TH...don't overthink it, just reverse the colors.

2) I honestly do not care for the Tiger Hawk emblem used for any sports other than football. Give me the block "I" for baseball and softball, Herky on the court (with the Iowa cursive script on uniforms) for basketball, the Herky grappler for wrestling...that kind of thing.

I don't know about others, but when I think of the Tiger Hawk, I think of football and only football.

Thoughts? I'd move USC down to good and Nebraska and jNW to bad. Cause **** em.

Know that I am a major CFB traditionalist..........

S tier- Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington
A tier- USC, Penn State, Oregon, Michigan State, Wisconsin
B tier- Purdue, UCLA, Indiana, Nebraska
C tier- Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern,
D tier- Minnesota, Illinois

These are my rankings of the helmets of the B10............

Iowa is #1, hands down. No questions asked. ;)

Know that I am a major CFB traditionalist..........

S tier- Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State w/helmet stickers, Washington
A tier- USC, Penn State, Oregon, Michigan State, Wisconsin
B tier- Ohio State w/o helmet stickers, Purdue, UCLA, Indiana, Nebraska
C tier- Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern,
D tier- Minnesota, Illinois

These are my rankings of the helmets of the B10............

Iowa is #1, hands down. No questions asked. ;)
For context-
(S tier):

-1200Wx1200H-000000000008055992-1.png

s-l1600.jpg

rawImage.jpg

(A tier):
81L8ysE9zBL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

2023-7-oregon-vs-wsu.png

23686-DEFAULT-m.jpg

usatsi_13667627.jpg

USATSI_8780664-e1604957746611.jpg

(B tier):

USATSI_11415934.jpg

ohiobuckeyes03_9a7296d8-f67b-439f-bf2a-1144856ba8e8.jpg

2021-1-ucla-vs-hawaii.png

usa_today_15109413.0.jpg

1165781184.jpg

(C tier):

convert

(If Maryland sticks to these, they might move up)
1235094625.jpg

But I wouldn't be opposed to someone arguing for these to be D tier
Maryland_Pride_Spped_Mini__44690.1565380339.jpg

NorthwesternWildcatsRiddellSpeedAuthenticHelmet01_1024x.jpg

(D tier):
(Pick a damn helmet and stick with it, Goofers. Permanent D tier, but mostly because of this.......)

2022-13-minn-vs-syracuse.png

Discount store Iowa wannabes. D tier......
convert

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT