ADVERTISEMENT

Reading people’s posts about next year’s B1G. Can’t believe everybody thinks Ferentz is wrong for the new teams entering

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
I’m not a Ferentz defender or supporter.

Pretty neutral actually.

But the 80% of the posters on here pissed that he might come back & the (pillow) PAC12 teams are going to boat race the B1G teams, let alone Iowa, are literally making me crazy!

Those same posters are the ones that bitch about Iowa not getting skilled players & at the same time can’t figure out that our state & recruiting area isn’t California or Ohio speedsters.

It’s tough defensive players & Oline players.

I actually think Ferentz is the B1G’s best answer to having success against those (pillow) PAC12 teams of all the B1G teams not named Oh St, Mich, P St.

It really might drive 80% of you crazy when he still wins 8-9 games every year until he’s done.

Pretty neutral actually.

But the 80% of the posters on here pissed that he might come back & the (pillow) PAC12 teams are going to boat race the B1G teams, let alone Iowa, are literally making me crazy!

Those same posters are the ones that bitch about Iowa not getting skilled players & at the same time can’t figure out that our state & recruiting area isn’t California or Ohio speedsters.

I actually think Ferentz is the B1G’s best answer to having success against those (pillow) PAC12 teams of all the B1G teams not named Oh St, Mich, P St.

It really might drive 80% of you crazy when he still wins 8-9 games every year until he’s done.
Interesting take. We'll see how well your post ages.

The Hawkeye offense will challenge opposing PAC DCs.

Only half joking! Iowa’s old school double TE with fullback lead power run ball control offense and play action pass game has become unique. It’s something defenders rarely see or practice against.

Throw in a few Hayden Fry gadget plays and there’s your big play.

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerKnobGobbler

Pretty neutral actually.

If the new OC can elevate the offense to average, then 8-9 games is certainly possible.

At the current trajectory, however, not a chance in hell.

Pretty neutral actually.

This current offensive scheme and staff would be wrong entering the Iowa CIML high school football landscape. These high school coaches would run circles around this current iowa offense. It all depends on how we address that problem.

Pretty neutral actually.

Why do you keep calling these teams “pillow” teams? Washington is amazing. Oregon has more resources than God and a lot of talent. USC is a blue blood with a great QB whisperer HC and in a hot bed of talent plus infinite resources. The only “pillow” team is UCLA and who cares about them.

Why do you keep calling these teams “pillow” teams? Washington is amazing. Oregon has more resources than God and a lot of talent. USC is a blue blood with a great QB whisperer HC and in a hot bed of talent plus infinite resources. The only “pillow” team is UCLA and who cares about them.
And UCLA is a top 20 team with a top 10 defense. They are somewhat back too.

Pretty neutral actually.

Here's the truth..........it's not 80% it's more like a loud obnoxious narrative driven 30%.

While I think Oregon & Washington have well-rounded rosters and talent to compete with the blue bloods of the B1G, they will not dominate. Ask Penn State and Nebby about how that worked out for them. Also, Pennix and Nix will be in the NFL next fall.

November can feature cold, wet and windy weather anywhere between Happy Valley and Stinkin' Lincoln. You also have to factor in the fatigue from the 1000 to 2000 mile travel distance the newcomers will face during many of their conference road games. It's easy to see why they won't be motorboating many teams in the new B1G 16.

I think USC and UCLA will have it even tougher. Their OL and DL's are going to have to really step up their games in 2024 and beyond to compete in the new B1G. It's not in Chip Kelly's DNA and I don't think Lincoln Riley is going to stick around USC much longer with Caleb Williams riding off to the NFL. Riley's already fallen out of favor with the USC fanbase and LA media with their 'ole style of defense and recent shootout losses.

Will Iowa trips out to any of the new western members of the B1G likely end up as losses? Yep. But, Kinnick can become a house of horrors for them as well.

While I think Oregon & Washington have well-rounded rosters and talent to compete with the blue bloods of the B1G, they will not dominate. Ask Penn State and Nebby about how that worked out for them. Also, Pennix and Nix will be in the NFL next fall.

November can feature cold, wet and windy weather anywhere between Happy Valley and Stinkin' Lincoln. You also have to factor in the fatigue from the 1000 to 2000 mile travel distance the newcomers will face during many of their conference road games. It's easy to see why they won't be motorboating many teams in the new B1G 16.

I think USC and UCLA will have it even tougher. Their OL and DL's are going to have to really step up their games in 2024 and beyond to compete in the new B1G. It's not in Chip Kelly's DNA and I don't think Lincoln Riley is going to stick around USC much longer with Caleb Williams riding off to the NFL. Riley's already fallen out of favor with the USC fanbase and LA media with their 'ole style of defense and recent shootout losses.

Will Iowa trips out to any of the new western members of the B1G likely end up as losses? Yep. But, Kinnick can become a house of horrors for them as well.
You do realize UCLA is like a typical really good Wisconsin team this year right? Great defense. Run the ball really well. Their current team would be the fourth best team in the big ten and no one below them would be close.

Pretty neutral actually.

KF winning 6 games next year would be impressive. 8 would be a miracle. 9 and he should be a candidate for national coach of the year.

This has already aged poorly.

Complete trash football out west.

But wait, I can show you another post that has already aged even more poorly!

I don't think Lincoln Riley is going to stick around USC much longer with Caleb Williams riding off to the NFL. Riley's already fallen out of favor with the USC fanbase and LA media with their 'ole style of defense and recent shootout losses.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing about how long he'll be there with you and I'm certainly not an expert on this subject but I live in SoCal and the fans still seem to be very excited about Riley and the future. I don't listen to it a lot but the guys I've heard on LA sports radio (at least the segments I've heard) have not seemed to lose faith in him yet. Many are still just happy to not have Helton.

Stanford in their Harbaugh and Shaw eras played "B10" style
Utah, for quite a while now has played "B10" style.
Bother have had success.
If the Hawks can find more talent and execution in the passing game, they'll give a good account of themselves.

This one has out poorly aged any post!
Im struggling to see how losing to an Arizona team that has been red hot and probably jumps into the rankings this week changed anything??? It’s like saying Iowa is back after gaining 170 yards against a defense that gave up 330 to Howard recently. 😊
I’m also willing to bet you didn’t watch the game because ucla lost two qbs. And according to some at iowa, all expectations are done when there are injuries. So this game doesn’t count right?

Pretty neutral actually.

I actually agree. However they have to get back to tough offense line play. It appears the problem we have now is THE oline play. It’s just underwhelming.
It appears to be a systemic problem. Bad evaluation, bad development, and bad coaching.
Until that gets fixed the offense will struggle.

Last edited:

Also interesting that neither Penix (BIG) or NIX (SEC) did jack shit at their previous schools.. Like it or not. there is a big difference in the quality of defense being played in the SEC and even the BIG.

Imagine what the bottom feeders of the the former west will have to endure? Nebraska, Purdue, Illinois, NW....

I get his point I think. I dont mind the run first mentality it just needs to be modernized and better development. We would be a preparation departure every week.
The fact though is the equivalent to holding these West Div teams to 10 or less is like holding the pac12 schools to 24. At some point we have to score points!

Reactions: dozeman
The Hawkeye offense will challenge opposing PAC DCs.

Only half joking! Iowa’s old school double TE with fullback lead power run ball control offense and play action pass game has become unique. It’s something defenders rarely see or practice against.
Kinda like the triple option the service academies run? Or Paul Johnson's GT?

Reactions: nu2u and Bierhalter
Also interesting that neither Penix (BIG) or NIX (SEC) did jack shit at their previous schools.. Like it or not. there is a big difference in the quality of defense being played in the SEC and even the BIG.
I mean I wouldn’t say Penix leading Indiana to one of the best seasons in modern school history is nothing. 2020 was a great year, led by Penix.

I really believe that all we’re going to see is a rearranging of the deck chairs, and the SS Ferentz will continue on its current course.
It's kind of ironic in a way. Hayden Fry comes to Iowa/Big10 and is successful with a passing game and blows up the Big2 / 3yds cloud of dust conference. KF seems to want to take us back to the Bo / Woody days.

Really, you bump this after the Big Ten West shows its ass yesterday?

The PAC 12 doesn’t have to be world beaters to take down these west teams.

You really don’t think we get boat raced by Washington And Oregon? UCLA lost to Arizona, have you actually watched AZ, they have some really good talent.

Meanwhile the Big Ten West got beat by the cellar east teams Indiana and MSU who got boat raced by Washington in preseason.

Really, you bump this after the Big Ten West shows its ass yesterday?

The PAC 12 doesn’t have to be world beaters to take down these west teams.

You really don’t think we get boat raced by Washington And Oregon? UCLA lost to Arizona, have you actually watched AZ, they have some really good talent.

Meanwhile the Big Ten West got beat by the cellar east teams Indiana and MSU who got boat raced by Washington in preseason.
Some of our fans are just ridiculous. Still thinking that these 10-7 victories over NW where we gain 169 yards are some kind of badge of honor. Our defense is incredible and I’m guessing will continue to be but this just isn’t sustainable moving forward.

Pretty neutral actually.

You're high.

Pretty neutral actually.

I very much agree. Really good post imo. It’s why I actually don’t want the overall philosophy to change - even the offensive philosophy of running a pro-style offense.

And I don’t see this post/statement conflicting with also needing better player development (all across the board on O), better playcalling, and ability to attack downfield more often (or at least threaten it).

Know who you are and use your strengths in every way to your advantage - and for Iowa that is tough, disciplined, physical football!

I very much agree. Really good post imo. It’s why I actually don’t want the overall philosophy to change - even the offensive philosophy of running a pro-style offense.

And I don’t see this post/statement conflicting with also needing better player development (all across the board on O), better playcalling, and ability to attack downfield more often (or at least threaten it).

Know who you are and use your strengths in every way to your advantage - and for Iowa that is tough, disciplined, physical football!
What is our offensive philosophy exactly? We’re not tough, we can’t run the ball and we can’t pass the ball. We had 4 possessions in their territory in the 1st half and didn’t score 1 single point. We talk about moving the chains and running the ball. We don’t do any of that. We lose time of possession every single game and depend on our defense 100% of the time to win games. The offense and our philosophy needs a 100% complete overhaul.

covid. Mich was 2-4, then quit. Penn State started 0-5. No coincidence that two crappy programs, ISU and Indiana had their best seasons during covid.
Great. So let’s can the talk on how “good” Iowa’s offense was in 2020 because we played the same Penn state team and it was Covid. Just adds one more year of offense futility to Brian Ferentz’s reign. Indiana also gave Ohio State all it could handle that year too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT