ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment bring PAC-12 wrestling?

BanjoSaysWoof

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2017
I dont follow this Side of sports so someone correct me if I’m wrong…

With the pac12 possibly being disbanded, would some of these cali schools be forced to offer wrestling if they join big 12 or big 10 or wtf it’s called today? Or consider it?

I don't know the answer, but I have wondered/hoped the same thing, that the "new" schools added to the B10 would be obligated to have D1 wrestling.

But...when you combine the massive $$'s at play AND the fact that these schools are true "big boys"...I am not sure if the B10 can/will force their hands or not. I hope that they do, but am not confident of it.

With the pac12 possibly being disbanded, would some of these cali schools be forced to offer wrestling if they join big 12 or big 10 or wtf it’s called today? Or consider it?

There's a better chance that Iowa & Minnesota will be forced to add varsity water polo before SoCal, UCLA, or any other Pac school will be forced to add wrestling.

LOL no.

1. No.
2. Maybe. But probably not.

Ain’t no one making anyone add wrestling. That’s soooo not a thing it is beyond not a thing.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Maybe some school will ad women's wrestling to ease their Title IX woes. Probably not.

Reactions: el dub
Four schools from the Pac, 12, all of them are liberal/******s/tree huggers. This will definitely not help the big 10 in wrestling, unfortunately it will probably be the demise of the big ten.

liberal/******s/tree huggers
I love trees and am liberal with my love, but I would never initiate the tree hug. Prudency demands the tree initiate it to avoid any claims of impropriety. Also, there's a lot of shagbark hickory in my woods. But I am financially quite moderate.

The campus protests I most remember during the first half of the 80s were against apartheid and veal. I haven't been to South Africa, but I've eaten plenty of veal piccata. Still, at my age I have been cutting back on the red meat.

Last edited:
Four schools from the Pac, 12, all of them are liberal/******s/tree huggers. This will definitely not help the big 10 in wrestling, unfortunately it will probably be the demise of the big ten.
This is a non-issue. All colleges have Liberal thinkers, and most have Conservative ones too these days. USC isn't exactly Berkeley, who will be left behind in the Pac 12 along with Stanford and Oregon State, who have wrestling. This really isn't about sports. It's about money.

The bigger issue is that this will dilute the Rust Belt fan base of the Big Ten, making it more like those other schools. I don't see any of these new Big Ten members adding wrestling, and that's a shame. I've never forgiven Oregon for dropping wrestling.

Academically, all four Pac-12 refugees are way above Nebraska, who should probably retreat back to the Big 12, instead of now getting hammered in football most Fall weekends by so many other Big Ten schools. On second thought, let them stay, because I LOVE seeing the Huskers get hammered every weekend.

I love trees and am liberal with my love, but I would never initiate the tree hug. Prudency demands the tree initiate it to avoid any claims of impropriety. Also, there's a lot of shagbark hickory in my woods. But I am financially quite moderate.

The campus protests I most remember during the first half of the 80s were against apartheid and veal. I still haven't been to South Africa, but I've eaten plenty of veal piccata. Still, at my age I have been cutting back on the red meat.
Doesn't shagbark hickory cause a rash? Better to hug a sycamore. ;)

This is a non-issue. All colleges have Liberal thinkers, and most have Conservative ones too these days. USC isn't exactly Berkeley, who will be left behind in the Pac 12 along with Stanford and Oregon State, who have wrestling. This really isn't about sports. It's about money.

The bigger issue is that this will dilute the Rust Belt fan base of the Big Ten, making it more like those other schools. I don't see any of these new Big Ten members adding wrestling, and that's a shame. I've never forgiven Oregon for dropping wrestling.

Academically, all four Pac-12 refugees are way above Nebraska, who should probably retreat back to the Big 12, instead of now getting hammered in football most Fall weekends by so many other Big Ten schools. On second thought, let them stay, because I LOVE seeing the Huskers get hammered every weekend.
In all honesty, Nebraska was a far worse addition than any of these other teams. They couldn’t even keep AAU status, they should have been expelled immediately.

Everyone here loves the sport of wrestling, but in the big picture, it's just another Olympic sport that loses money. And men's wrestling counts against gender equity goals. Nobody in a power conference is adding it. And given the travel headaches with the west coast schools, I'm glad we don't have to bother figuring out how they fit into Big Ten wrestling.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how UCLA is going to make the trip to Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan to play softball in March let alone if they can add wrestling or not. Culture shock for sure. Maybe if we could invite the Ad’s of the new schools to a wrestling meet inside Carver they would see what it could maybe be. California produces a lot of good wrestlers so maybe….

Well, what’s going to happen after Hawk fans spend weekends in Eugene, witnessing the west coast culture? Weed shops on every corner. Legal psychedelics. Might want to leave the women and chirrens at home on da prairie for those games…. Lol
So if it's the Hawks against Ducks in Eugene, are we meeting for hard cider, Dub?

Everyone here loves the sport of wrestling, but in the big picture, it's just another Olympic sport that loses money. And men's wrestling counts against gender equity goals. Nobody in a power conference is adding it. And given the travel headaches with the west coast schools, I'm glad we don't have to bother figuring out how they fit into Big Ten wrestling.
I suspect that women's wrestling might be added to those schools before men's, for Title IX reasons. Wrestling is a relatively cheap sport compared to some others.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I am still trying to wrap my head around how UCLA is going to make the trip to Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan to play softball in March let alone if they can add wrestling or not. Culture shock for sure. Maybe if we could invite the Ad’s of the new schools to a wrestling meet inside Carver they would see what it could maybe be. California produces a lot of good wrestlers so maybe….
show them a picture of pst crowds before cael and picture of current pst crowds, get the up and coming coach lockdown cali and arizona win some titles, off and runnin.pretty sure ucla can find deep pocket donor

Unfortunately, with the added travel costs, men’s sports (outside of FB and MBB) will be on the chopping block for those schools coming into a new conference from other geographic regions. School administrators care about the media $ and their concerns end there. What happened to administrators concern about kids missing too many classes because of travel? It’s just the way college athletics is these days. We should feel very fortunate for the position of strength the B1G is currently in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT