ADVERTISEMENT

Reasonable homeowner here?

And just hope that he doesn’t kill your daughter or your wife while you wait for the police to arrive?

I have a feeling our good friend Beleem would be the first to run if there was ever a problem.

x2mc9.gif

Reactions: abby97
The dad is obviously a complete pussy. Just like all the badasses who said they would shoot the guy. I would love for some punk teen to try that at my house. He’d get tackled right out the front door and wouldn’t get u until the cops got there. America has really turned to shit and it’s all because of pussies with guns.
Not everyone is a Certified Bad Ass like yourself.

Someone should warn violent ex boyfriends that not all dads want to play tickle and grab ass in the yard like you do.

For those who said reasonable, do you think the father, with his gun drawn, and the kid on the porch, was ever in fear for his life or of his kid’s life?

Or are you saying it’s okay in your view because the ex-boyfriend was breaking in and basically play stupid games win stupid prizes?

And what are your feelings on none of the people trying to administer aid or call 911 right after the shooting (I have no idea if it would have made a difference).
I always assume someone breaking into my house by force has bad intentions and wants to cause physical harm, or is otherwise indifferent about causing physical harm. Am I worried they will kill me? I have no way of knowing if they are armed, how they are armed, or what other physical capabilities they might have. If I'm behind a locked door, the other person knows I'm armed, and still tries to break down the door, I really have to believe they have bad intentions and are capable of carrying them out. If I'm in my house, there's no reason to risk my life or health if I don't have to.

Tough one. If the shooter had reason to believe his life might be in danger, I could see it. I don't know though. I would've been yelling at him that he was going to get shot before shooting. Of course if it's happening fast and you don't know what's going to greet on the other side of that door... I get it.

The dad is obviously a complete pussy. Just like all the badasses who said they would shoot the guy. I would love for some punk teen to try that at my house. He’d get tackled right out the front door and wouldn’t get u until the cops got there. America has really turned to shit and it’s all because of pussies with guns.

Tackled? LMAO

Can't even tell if you are serious.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I'm pro gun and I agree with this. Just a complete break down of conflict resolution skills. If the dad would have met him at the front door the kid probably backs down and walks away.

Guns complicate the matter. Who's to say the kid didn't have a gun. Threat escalation.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
The neighbor makes the video. "Calm down. He ain't moving, he ain't going nowhere."

I think this was a complete overreaction and excessive force was used. Bad situation all around. I wouldn't have shot the kid. Would have met him on the front porch and whooped his little ass instead.
How do you know you would have whooped his little @$$?

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Is that the only way to harm someone?
Right, he could have been an expert in krav maga and sent by the Israeli's to kill me. Who knows.
Well, except you know - the people that knew him for years as he was dating their daughter. The daughter described him as a sweet kid.
If an ex that was a sweet kid was losing his shit and trying to get into my house shooting him dead is the last thing I would think to do.
But then, I don't have a gun and dream of using it one day.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Watching the video, the kid didn't seem to be a threat at first. The mom says. kind of in passing, "she doesn't want to talk to you". Like there was a conversation that took place in the driveway before all this went down. It's like him beating on the door gives the dad a right to shoot? I just don't see it that way.

There is way more context to this than what we have been shown, I am sure.

Right, he could have been an expert in krav maga and sent by the Israeli's to kill me. Who knows.
Well, except you know - the people that knew him for years as he was dating their daughter. The daughter described him as a sweet kid.
If an ex that was a sweet kid was losing his shit and trying to get into my house shooting him dead is the last thing I would think to do.
So, you don't know if he could have hurt you. And of course that sweet kid was breaking the door down even though he knew the dad on the other side of the door had a gun. And the dad still believed the kid was a sweet kid, so he got a gun instead of opening the door.

Would you have opened the door in that same circumstance?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
“Overreacting.” Lol.

Using your shoulder as a battering ram to break down someone’s front door isn’t “overreacting”, it’s a crime. If you’re anyone other than Kool-Aid Man, it’s felony trespassing.

I love how you’re now just making up fictional alternate scenarios. The guy didn’t get shot because he was hanging around their house or because he was too close to their car. He got shot because he forcibly broke down a locked door after being repeatedly told to leave.
This actually gave me a good laugh...

giphy.gif

I watched the video. I'm rolling 6-2 260lbs, in shape, athletic, former college athlete. This punk would have been knocked the F out.

Even Steven Patrick will affirm the lethality of my fists.
I agree with you on a lot of stuff. That said, I spent a portion of my childhood in a really bad area, and learned there's always someone badder than you. Size may or may not matter. Being a former athlete might help you, but I've seen skinny little dopers slice up big guys without much effort.

If you believe you can handle it that way, you be you. Everyone isn't that capable, and would prefer not to put themselves at risk.

I watched the video. I'm rolling 6-2 260lbs, in shape, athletic, former college athlete. This punk would have been knocked the F out.

Even Steven Patrick will affirm the lethality of my fists.
The internet is full of gifs of 6-2 260lb guys getting knocked out. Then where does that leave your wife and daughter?

You never know.

In the imaginary scenario where he tries to get into my house and where I couldn't keep him out and where he decides that he's going to kill us - we're still statistically safer without a gun in the house.
Want to add anything else to it? Make him rabid? Mexican?
The research you are referring to does not address whether you are safer with or without a gun when someone is actually breaking in to your house. The odds you die from an alligator attack tell you nothing about the odds of surviving a alligator attack. You logic sucks.

So, you don't know if he could have hurt you. And of course that sweet kid was breaking the door down even though he knew the dad on the other side of the door had a gun. And the dad still believed the kid was a sweet kid, so he got a gun instead of opening the door.

Would you have opened the door in that same circumstance?
Yeah, I would have been outside - not pushing on the door with a gun.

Years ago I came back from a deployment and was getting wasted on 12 year Jameson. Some fella was breaking into my Mustang I owned at the time. So I grabbed my AR-15, toss in an empty magazine, and walked outside. I walked to the front of my car, and said "Hey" which didn't get his attention, so I charged my weapon. Dude popped out of the car pretty quick at that point. I was holding the weapon at rest pointing to the ground. He apologized and GTFO'd.

There are a lot of things you can do with a weapon before actually shooting someone.

My buddy ended up calling the cops on the guy, and he got arrested. The cops legit asked me why I didn't shoot them. I remember the feeling of confusion getting asked the question and I said "because I didn't want to kill anyone?" Anyway I got called into trial, the guy ended up taking a plea and getting 17 years for a stolen umbrella as it was his third strike. The guy could barely talk and was clearly undereducated. Shit was sad. CSB.

I'm glad it all worked out the way it did. I know I guy who walked out to someone trying to steal his car in a similar situation. He took 4 shots to the chest and abdomen. He was in the hospital for about 2 months and a year of rehab.

• Wow
Reactions: Moral
In the imaginary scenario where he tries to get into my house and where I couldn't keep him out and where he decides that he's going to kill us - we're still statistically safer without a gun in the house.
Want to add anything else to it? Make him rabid? Mexican?
I don’t have to add anything else or “make him” anything else. The facts of the case stand on their own. You’re the only one in this thread who seems intent on creating alternate fiction.

The guy violently broke through their locked front door to get to his daughter. If I’m the father of that girl I’m not waiting around for the police to arrive and just hoping he doesn’t have violent intentions once he gets into the house.

I don’t have to add anything else or “make him” anything else. The facts of the case stand on their own. You’re the only one in this thread who seems intent on creating alternate fiction.

The guy violently broke through their locked front door to get to his daughter. If I’m the father of that girl I’m not waiting around for the police to arrive and just hoping he doesn’t have violent intentions once he gets into the house.
I don't doubt that you too would have shot him.

It's these situations were I always look at it from this perspective:

1. What's legal
2. What could have been done better- Warning shot, more clear and forceful declaration that he had a gun, barricade the door and wait for police, etc.
3. It's an incredible fast unraveling of events.

This video is good with a cool pepsi but watch what happens to both the newscaster and community activist.

i hate to see death as a result, but it does appear the homeowner made an attempt to get the kid to leave and warn him of the consequences of breaking and entering. That's one stupid kid, that's for sure.

I don’t own a gun. If I did, I’d like to think I’d keep the gun pointed at the door and give him a chance to back away. Once the door is broken and he steps through, he’s finished.

I don’t own a gun. If I did, I’d like to think I’d keep the gun pointed at the door and give him a chance to back away. Once the door is broken and he steps through, he’s finished.
I think this is probably the reasonable option most people would be at.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff. That said, I spent a portion of my childhood in a really bad area, and learned there's always someone badder than you. Size may or may not matter. Being a former athlete might help you, but I've seen skinny little dopers slice up big guys without much effort.

If you believe you can handle it that way, you be you. Everyone isn't that capable, and would prefer not to put themselves at risk.
Hope it would never come to that. i just can't justify shooting a kid down who is on the other side of a door in this situation. It went from "she doesn't want to talk to you" to gunfire in ten seconds. The kid didn't even cross the door threshold. Way too much happened there, way too fast, and there wasn't much in the way of conflict resolution going on there, or even trying to intimidate the kid into backing down.

Reactions: BelemNole
Hope it would never come to that. i just can't justify shooting a kid down who is on the other side of a door in this situation. It went from "she doesn't want to talk to you" to gunfire in ten seconds. The kid didn't even cross the door threshold. Way too much happened there, way too fast, and there wasn't much in the way of conflict resolution going on there, or even trying to intimidate the kid into backing down.
Yeah, he was probably standing there thinking, 'my work here is done' when over-protective dad goes all pew-pew and ruins the day.

Most parents of kids who go on rampages or commit violent crimes are called sweet kids. Even victims of domestic violence say it.

But you and your daughter possibly ending up dead is a better alternative in your world.

Most parents of kids who go on rampages or commit violent crimes are called sweet kids. Even victims of domestic violence say it.

But you and your daughter possibly ending up dead is a better alternative in your world.
Look, you all are people that feel it's better to kill someone because there's a small chance things go very badly. I'm not. I focus on the 99 times things don't end up in multiple murders, you do. That's why you all arm yourself to the teeth and I don't. It's why this guy will live the rest of his life knowing he killed a kid he shared meals with and I won't.

Years ago I came back from a deployment and was getting wasted on 12 year Jameson. Some fella was breaking into my Mustang I owned at the time. So I grabbed my AR-15, toss in an empty magazine, and walked outside. I walked to the front of my car, and said "Hey" which didn't get his attention, so I charged my weapon. Dude popped out of the car pretty quick at that point. I was holding the weapon at rest pointing to the ground. He apologized and GTFO'd.

There are a lot of things you can do with a weapon before actually shooting someone.

My buddy ended up calling the cops on the guy, and he got arrested. The cops legit asked me why I didn't shoot them. I remember the feeling of confusion getting asked the question and I said "because I didn't want to kill anyone?" Anyway I got called into trial, the guy ended up taking a plea and getting 17 years for a stolen umbrella as it was his third strike. The guy could barely talk and was clearly undereducated. Shit was sad. CSB.
What would you have done if he step out of your car with a gun? I get what you're saying and agree with you, but not sure I would have gone out there with an empty magazine.

Last edited:
Look, you all are people that feel it's better to kill someone because there's a small chance things go very badly. I'm not. I focus on the 99 times things don't end up in multiple murders, you do. That's why you all arm yourself to the teeth and I don't. It's why this guy will live the rest of his life knowing he killed a kid he shared meals with and I won't.
He could also live with the fact he possibly saved himself and his daughter from being beaten or murdered..

Reactions: Finance85
You can justify killing a kid if you really want to. But there have always been young people overreacting to breakups, we just didn't always kill them.
But this is the new America. Anyone shows up at your house or near your car or whatever and we're all ok with you shooting and killing them. It's as American as apple pie and baseball.
At your house, said ex would have kicked your ass and then assaulted your daughter.

I'm glad it all worked out the way it did. I know I guy who walked out to someone trying to steal his car in a similar situation. He took 4 shots to the chest and abdomen. He was in the hospital for about 2 months and a year of rehab.

This was less of a car stealing situation and more of a someone rummaging for stuff to pawn. If I saw them in my drivers seat trying to hotwire the car I might have went out loaded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT