ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Note

you could be right...I was just speculating, and who knows if the staff has been evaluating QB's within the football office as the season has progressed, I suspect they have been keeping their eye on a few just in case of injury or a change of heart. I think all staffs have to have contingency plans for just about every position, QB included, don't you think?

Thank you. I could be wrong, but I choose to be positive and show respect for 'professionals' that know way more than we do. Sooo... many here think they know more than the coaches in recruiting, and evaluating talent, it is just really comical. I can't figure out how these 'pundits' have time to post here, since they spend soooo much time watching football and identifying talent. LMAO! I love this site, it's great comedy!

Chryst is calling opposing coaches about Toren Young. I know one high school coach up here who was called by Chryst for that particular reason over the past few weeks.

There's no way around it...having less than 50% completion rate in hs isn't good. It's not like the competition is going to get easier in the Big 10. If you can't complete passes with Johnny 5'8, 5.0 forty time in high school, it's kinda tough to complete passes against Desmond King.

While reading "Following the Future", I noticed that Kirk and Greg were in town to witness Nathan Stanley's 7-for-22, 122 yard effort this weekend. From what I can tell, this type of performance is not an anomaly with Mr. Stanley. Since I doubt offers from many Top 25 programs are raining down upon him at this point, you can surmise that maybe our coaches weren't in town just to make sure he is still committed to the program, if you know what I mean. My guess is their time could have been better spent on a Friday night watching an undecided recruit somewhere, unless they were trying to make a final determination of whether they actually want this kid wearing a Hawkeye uniform or not. I understand that high school QB stats can be skewed by whether receivers can actually catch the ball, among other things, but if that is an issue it begs the question of what level of talent is he playing with/against in the first place?

Not that we want to be left with a gap at QB in the 2016 class, but might we instead use the scholly at another position, since we did take two QBs (in theory) last year?

What say you, recruiting experts?

Most QB's are recruited based on camp performances and hs. The camp ratings weigh heavy on qb's on average teams or facing weak opponents. If you've never been to a camp ( either at a school or a recruiting service) it's a real eye opener and fair talent evaluation system for a person that day, that year.
Iowa's camp is very well done and my guess is the kid had a great camp. Add that to the physical tools and you get the offer.

Chuck Long's recruitment is actually a funny story. When he told his parents Iowa wanted to offer him a full ride, his dad said "did they see your film?"

Evidently, he has a Illinois state championship record that will be hard to ever beat. He was like 1-4 for NEGATIVE yardage as the winning QB.

Pretty sure Chuck Long was an option QB in Aurora IL in HS. Not exactly a setting to think he'd be a future award winning passing QB.

For some reason I also think that 50% completion % for a high schooler is considered pretty good, but could be wrong there.
Chuck went to Wheaton North

There's no way around it...having less than 50% completion rate in hs isn't good. It's not like the competition is going to get easier in the Big 10. If you can't complete passes with Johnny 5'8, 5.0 forty time in high school, it's kinda tough to complete passes against Desmond King.
Kyle Orton agrees. Career high school completion % of 46.2. He did ok at Purdue...

Pretty sure Chuck Long was an option QB in Aurora IL in HS. Not exactly a setting to think he'd be a future award winning passing QB.

For some reason I also think that 50% completion % for a high schooler is considered pretty good, but could be wrong there.
Long played at Wheaten North.

While reading "Following the Future", I noticed that Kirk and Greg were in town to witness Nathan Stanley's 7-for-22, 122 yard effort this weekend. From what I can tell, this type of performance is not an anomaly with Mr. Stanley. Since I doubt offers from many Top 25 programs are raining down upon him at this point, you can surmise that maybe our coaches weren't in town just to make sure he is still committed to the program, if you know what I mean. My guess is their time could have been better spent on a Friday night watching an undecided recruit somewhere, unless they were trying to make a final determination of whether they actually want this kid wearing a Hawkeye uniform or not. I understand that high school QB stats can be skewed by whether receivers can actually catch the ball, among other things, but if that is an issue it begs the question of what level of talent is he playing with/against in the first place?

Not that we want to be left with a gap at QB in the 2016 class, but might we instead use the scholly at another position, since we did take two QBs (in theory) last year?

What say you, recruiting experts?
I think you are wrong, way wrong. If you watch his video, he has a big time arm and can make all the throws that a quality QB has to make. He has excellent size and seems to be pretty mobile. He already has a Wisconsin offer, and they certainly have been a top 25 program for quite awhile I think the Hawks have an excellent prospect in Stanley..

Has anybody considered that we're showing him that we're still committed to him in case other schools start to show interest. Everybody wants to think the worst, but it just could be that they really like him and are just "showing some love".

Has anybody considered that we're showing him that we're still committed to him in case other schools start to show interest. Everybody wants to think the worst, but it just could be that they really like him and are just "showing some love".

Yes, I already alluded to that earlier in this thread.

I think sending Davis by himself would be showing enough love, leaving Ferentz time to show Epenesa, Sails, Farniok, or Jackson some as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT