ADVERTISEMENT

Red hat/Black hat

TJ8869

HB King
Dec 7, 2006
An old Johnny Carson clip popped up in my Facebook feed tonight. It was a logic puzzle for three men to figure out. A hat is placed on each man's head. They are told that each hat is either red or black. You can see the other two men's hats but you cannot see your own hat. The men are instructed to raise their hand if they see a black hat on either one of the other two men. All three men raise their hands and you can see that each of the other two men is wearing a black hat. What color is your hat and how do you know?

An old Johnny Carson clip popped up in my Facebook feed tonight. It was a logic puzzle for three men to figure out. A hat is placed on each man's head. They are told that each hat is either red or black. You can see the other two men's hats but you cannot see your own hat. The men are instructed to raise their hand if they see a black hat on either one of the other two men. All three men raise their hands and you can see that each of the other two men is wearing a black hat. What color is your hat and how do you know?
They could all have black hats according to your premise.

Reactions: pjhawk
I've seen that clip. Johnny didn't do a very good job of explaining the premise. And the logic as they explained it was flawed.

Reactions: TJ8869
I forgot to mention one important piece of information - neither of the other two men answered right away.

***SPOILER ALERT***

You're wearing a black hat. The fact that all three men raised their hands means there must be at least two black hats. If there were two red hats and only one black hat then the man wearing the black hat would see only red hats and thus would not raise his hand.

If you were wearing a red hat then each of the other two men would see one red hat and one black hat. Each man would then be able to immediately deduce that he is wearing a black hat, because they can each see one red hat and knows that because all three hands are raised there can be no more than one red hat. Since they can each see a red hat, they immediately know that they cannot also be wearing a red hat.

That's why the last bit of information was important. Since neither man spoke up to say he was wearing a black hat, you can assume you are not wearing a red hat and you therefore are wearing a black hat.

I've seen that clip. Johnny didn't do a very good job of explaining the premise.
That was partly because the segment went sideways when Doc said out loud that he saw two black hats.
And the logic as they explained it was flawed.
It is slightly flawed in the sense that you have to assume at least one of the other two men would have been intelligent enough to realize he was wearing a black hat had you been wearing a red hat.

***SPOILER ALERT***

You're wearing a black hat. The fact that all three men raised their hands means there must be at least two black hats. If there were two red hats and only one black hat then the man wearing the black hat would see only red hats and thus would not raise his hand.

If you were wearing a red hat then each of the other two men would see one red hat and one black hat. Each man would then be able to immediately deduce that he is wearing a black hat, because they can each see one red hat and knows that because all three hands are raised there can be no more than one red hat. Since they can each see a red hat, they immediately know that they cannot also be wearing a red hat.

That's why the last bit of information was important. Since neither man spoke up to say he was wearing a black hat, you can assume you are not wearing a red hat and you therefore are wearing a black hat.
I swear to God

They all are wearing black hats. I never said there was at least one red hat and at least one black hat. I said each hat was either red or black.
I get the puzzle but I don't like it. Assuming all black hats, the winner is only discovered by the inaction of the other two + the belief that they understand the puzzle completely. If they don't know, then I know, but only because they don't know.
Try the let's make a deal should you switch curtains one next, it's much more pleasing IMO

***SPOILER ALERT***

Math What GIF by Riki Barker

***SPOILER ALERT***

in-the-princess-bride-1987-the-character-vizzini-keeps-v0-5wh8ue5ckxr81.jpg

***SPOILER ALERT***

If I'm wearing a red hat and the other two men are wearing black hats, each man (including myself) would see at least one black hat.

If I'm wearing a red hat and the other two men are wearing black hats, each man (including myself) would see at least one black hat.
Let’s say you’re Person 1 and the other two men are Person 2 and Person 3. You can see that Person 2 and Person 3 are both wearing black hats. You can see that there are at least two black hats but at first you don’t if Person 2 and Person 3 are seeing two black hats or one black hat and one red hat (yours). But the fact that all three men have their hand raised means there must be at least two black hats. Therefore, if Person 2 and Person 3 each saw one black hat and one red hat (yours), they would immediately know that they could not be wearing a red hat because then there would be two red hats and only one black hat and then one man would not have raise his hand.

Since neither man spoke up to say he was wearing a black hat then you can assume you’re not wearing a red hat and you must be wearing a black hat. Or the other two guys are just idiots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT