ADVERTISEMENT

Red, yellow, green..., and white? Big changes could be coming for the humble traffic light with the rise of autonomous vehicles.

“When we get to the intersection, we stop if it’s red and we go if it’s green,” said Hajbabaie, whose team used model cars small enough to hold. “But if the white light is active, you just follow the vehicle in front of you.”

Although Hajbabaie’s research refers to a “white phase” and possibly even a white light, the specific color isn’t important, he said. Current lights could even suffice, say, by modifying them to flash red and green simultaneously to signal that driverless cars are in charge. The key would be making sure that it’s universally adopted like the current signals are.

This guy has way too much faith in humanity.

Reactions: h-hawk
I can't wait until AI cars make their way to some of our cities where traffic signals and signs are light-hearted suggestions

Reactions: millah_22
I can't wait until AI cars make their way to some of our cities where traffic signals and signs are light-hearted suggestions
New Yorkers honking at self driving cars

Go Away Power GIF

Roundabouts are great for flow of traffic, but much like zipper merging, people need to know how to do it.

I guess we just assume too much out of people driving multi ton vehicles.
roundabouts are safer than traditional 4 way stop intersections

less catastrophic head on or tbone collisions, less fatalities, less serious injuries

the "all change is always bad" people don't like them though

less catastrophic head on or tbone collisions, less fatalities, less serious injuries

When there are more than 2 streets intersecting, I totally get it, they're very useful in those situations.

Roundabouts are stupid, the people who use them don't understand them... they're gaining popularity and I personally know 0 people who like them.
Worst take ever. They are WAY more efficient than stop sign and stop lights. Go to Europe sometime. The issue isn’t the traffic feature, the issue is morons who don’t understand the procedure.

The roundabouts are much better once people get used to them. They have been slowly replacing all the 4 way stops around here with roundabouts and most people are aware of them now. You still have the occasional idiots who just go in without looking or the ones who stop in the middle for no reason but those are just a few now.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Worst take ever. They are WAY more efficient than stop sign and stop lights. Go to Europe sometime. The issue isn’t the traffic feature, the issue is morons who don’t understand the procedure.
we've starting getting them where i live

same story everytime...people freak out about how bad they are...usually bring up how "other people" don't like or understand how to drive through them (like a certain poster here)...and then after they use it for little while - no big deal, most people end up liking them

I don't disagree, they've become popular down here and most people I know aren't fans of them. It's like parallel parking.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
The roundabouts are much better once people get used to them. They have been slowly replacing all the 4 way stops around here with roundabouts and most people are aware of them now. You still have the occasional idiots who just go in without looking or the ones who stop in the middle for no reason but those are just a few now.
It's the people that think they're being polite by stopping in the roundabout to let others enter.

I wasn't the first to derail this thread. In fact I've continued to comment on the point of the thread throughout. You want to completely ignore that fact for whatever reason. It's cool. Keep doing you, everyone else who reads this thread understands what happened here.
You could have ignored it, yet you chose to use it as an opportunity to hate on trans people.

Roundabouts work way better than 4 way stops. I just wish people would quit stopping when they are in the roundabout. I bet I see someone do this every other day. I also don’t enjoy the tight roundabouts, it’s nice to not have to slow down to 5 mph or less just to get around the circle.
This white light idea seems like it will be a mess. Why are we going to follow a driverless car?

Roundabouts are stupid, the people who use them don't understand them... they're gaining popularity and I personally know 0 people who like them.
I personally know tons of people who do like them. If you live in an area where they are common and therefore people know how to use them, they are much better than stop signs or lights in most situations at keeping traffic flowing. Additionally, they are much safer as (1) vehicles entering a roundabout are moving at slower speeds than a vehicle that runs a light or sign, and (2) the angle of impact is typically a side-swipe instead of a t-bone or head-on.

Anyone who bitches about roundabouts is just someone who thinks all change is bad.

I am pro-roundabout but hear me out on this. I was in the Twin Cities this weekend where there are many roundabouts. The issue I have with them is you have to Yield to enter them. When the roundabout is busy with cars coming from the left on the outside lane the Yield becomes a Stop and cars start to back up to enter the roundabout. How is that better than a 4-way stop? I would say it is marginally better, so there is that. Also, when there is little traffic in the roundabout it is nice to not have to stop at every intersection, instead just cruising the roundabout.

At first, they suck. Then you get used to them and are like, whatever. Then, you actually learn how to use them and wonder what took us so long? Roundabouts are way better than 4 way stops.

we've starting getting them where i live

same story everytime...people freak out about how bad they are...usually bring up how "other people" don't like or understand how to drive through them (like a certain poster here)...and then after they use it for little while - no big deal, most people end up liking them

Damn. You beat me to it.

I am pro-roundabout but hear me out on this. I was in the Twin Cities this weekend where there are many roundabouts. The issue I have with them is you have to Yield to enter them. When the roundabout is busy with cars coming from the left on the outside lane the Yield becomes a Stop and cars start to back up to enter the roundabout. How is that better than a 4-way stop? I would say it is marginally better, so there is that. Also, when there is little traffic in the roundabout it is nice to not have to stop at every intersection, instead just cruising the roundabout.

That is certainly an issue. Roundabouts should not be used in heavy traffic/congested areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT