ADVERTISEMENT

Remote work? Yay or Nay | JPMorgan Chase CEO says nay

Generally speaking, are you for or against remote work?

• Total voters

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002

I've been working from home for almost 2 years now and can't imagine ever having to go into the office full time. My team is spread out from coast to coast and even as far as Anchorage. I'd essentially be going into the office just to fire up a zoom call.

That said, I do see the occasional benefit for team cohesion and collaboration, but I honestly don't see a need outside of maybe 2x per month.

I've been working from home for almost 2 years now and can't imagine ever having to go into the office full time. My team is spread out from coast to coast and even as far as Anchorage. I'd essentially be going into the office just to fire up a zoom call.

That said, I do see the occasional benefit for team cohesion and collaboration, but I honestly don't see a need outside of maybe 2x per month.
This. If you're not in a profession that requires hands on or direct interaction and you're being forced to drive somewhere sit and do the same shit you can do at home, your company is led by insecure dumbshits.

What a timely topic. I’ve been working remote for 2.8 years. Work for a large bank. Went into the office today for a recognition event but my team won’t return to the office until early 2023 … and then we will be expected in 3 days a week.

For my specific job… it was and is a waste of time to drive 30 minutes door to door and then the same commute home. All I do is sit on calls and use instant messaging, email, and conference calls.

I have Des Moines teammates but we all work on our own items and the projects we work on involve people all across the country in multiple locations.

Hell, when I was in the office my Des Moines team would all dial into our own team meetings …

Spending an hour in the car just to drive to and from my office … to sit in a cube and follow the exact same routine of sitting on calls and instant messaging and sending emails … is a waste of time…

Also, many nights I’ll check email and do some work …. And so tonight … I drove the half hour home just to set up shop again in my office to continue my work.

I completely understand some jobs require or benefit from having employees together … Along with employees who work face to face with customers or teams who truly work together … But in a company with 270,000 employees nationally and internationally - not every job needs that - especially those where 40 people on a project call may be located in 30 different locations ….

I know my company has lots and lots of office space and they want butts in the seats… I just hope we continue to offer flexibility for those who don’t need to be there every day of the week.

I've worked from home for 5 years. I don't have a single team member in the same state or country. If I was in the office all meetings with any team I work with would be Teams, Zoom, Skype, Webex, etc . This is true with 90 percent of the teams in our company.

I was full-time remote in my last job from 2010 until I quit in April. I’m on the verge of taking a new position that will also be fully remote. I’m all for client meetings, in-person whiteboarding, team building, etc., but as mentioned, going to the office has to have a point beyond Jamie Dimon thinking he made me do something and feeling powerful.

I’m a big fan of hybrid. Some people much prefer being in the office and more power to them, but it should only be required when there’s value in being in person. In my last job, I managed a team of people spread across the continental US - me traveling to an office to get on MS Teams calls is ridiculous.

Medicine by phone or video is stupid as fvck and for the most part irresponsible and lazy.

depends on the job of course…

Medicine by phone or video is stupid as fvck and for the most part irresponsible and lazy.

depends on the job of course…
Even with medicine, it depends on what’s being done. Telemedicine has been around in rural or low-population areas for years and for visit types that don’t require physical contact/exam, it can be fine.

Reactions: ericram
It’s tough to know what we are even discussing when OP trolls with an article behind a paywall

As a software developer who has worked from home for the last eight years, I still firmly believe we are more effective and more productive if we are all together, at least some of the time. Brainstorming sessions are simply better when you are all a room together.

I would favor a hybrid. For instance, everyone is in the office two days a week.

I know someone who manages a team spread out across the country…they’re required to be in the office full time…to manage everyone….remotely….yep, they’re actively looking for new employment…and I’m sure they will find it.

Companies who don’t change will lose the war for talent and watch high performers walk.

Completely depends on the job. I voted no simply because it wouldn’t work in my line of work. In many others? Hell yeah.

As a software developer who has worked from home for the last eight years, I still firmly believe we are more effective and more productive if we are all together, at least some of the time. Brainstorming sessions are simply better when you are all a room together.

I would favor a hybrid. For instance, everyone is in the office two days a week.
There is the answer and why businesses are trying to get people back at least part time.

As time goes on the breakdown and lost production due to the lack of cohesive problem solving increases.....and business know that.

The butts in the seats argument is a swing and a miss. The location costs would actually be less without employees in the office even if they had to sit with an unused building.

I know someone who manages a team spread out across the country…they’re required to be in the office full time…to manage everyone….remotely….yep, they’re actively looking for new employment…and I’m sure they will find it.

Companies who don’t change will lose the war for talent and watch high performers walk.
This was my situation from about May (when then brought people back) until two weeks ago when I finally convinced them how silly the situation was.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
There is the answer and why businesses are trying to get people back at least part time.

As time goes on the breakdown and lost production due to the lack of cohesive problem solving increases.....and business know that.

The butts in the seats argument is a swing and a miss. The location costs would actually be less without employees in the office even if they had to sit with an unused building.

That's a euphemism for a company that wants its current employees to train the (underqualified) staff that it hires (at a discount to hiring qualified employees).

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It’s tough to know what we are even discussing when OP trolls with an article behind a paywall
That's weird. I read the entire article before posting. Now when I go back to re-read (based on your post), I can't w/o subscription.

EDIT:

I can access it from behind the AT&T firewall. Weird!

When it comes to remote work, the leader of one of the largest investment banks in the country is ready to cancel the Zoom calls. JPMorgan Chase (NYSE: JPM) CEO Jamie Dimon, an outspoken advocate for bringing workers back to the office, told leaders in Chapel Hill Thursday that "management by Hollywood Squares doesn't work well."

Dimon, the keynote speaker at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School's groundbreaking event for its new building, put out a lot of one-liners, telling the crowd that while wise people learn from mistakes, the wisest "learns by other people's mistakes." And one mistake might be not showing up to the office.
While working remotely makes sense for some jobs, Dimon said, “You learn so much from people" when collaborating in the same room. He said to look at “who’s getting ahead, who’s getting the plum assignments?” It’s the person going into the office every day, Dimon argues. “I think people should recognize the weaknesses … we make our senior people go in,” he said.

The remarks came as JPMorgan Chase continues to expand its retail branch presence in the Triangle and across North Carolina. The company opened its first retail branch in the state in Chapel Hill in 2019.
Dimon sees his industry as holding a great responsibility, and that includes in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion. He said public policy follows corporate leadership, and challenged the crowd to be intentional about DEI. It's part of the mission, he said. And he sees banks as having a critical mission, particularly in downturns.
“What banks do is we try to lift up society,” he said.

He encouraged UNC students to observe the world around them.“ A lot of the learning you’re going to do is going to be not in school,” he said. “School is teaching you how to learn.”
"Open up your mind," he said. "Don't get jazzed up by everything all the time."

Dimon joined trustees, executives and students in front of the McColl Building on campus for the groundbreaking of Steve Bell Hall in honor of the chairman emeritus of Bell Partners. Bell pledged a $25 million gift to support the new building for UNC Kenan-Flagler.

UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz called it a “historic day.” “Our university was founded on the idea of building for the future,” he said, adding that the plan is to help the school "advance our critical mission ... and to better teach the rising generation in a state of the art facility that we will break ground on today.

Currently, Kenan-Flagler has around 3,400 undergraduate and graduate students. The new building will add 140,000 square feet and double the available teaching spaces to 16 classrooms. Construction is scheduled to start in late November. Work is expected to take more than two years.
The expansion, according to UNC, will enable the school to increase enrollment in its undergraduate business program by at least 50 percent.

Planned renovations to the existing McColl building will take an additional year, with the entire planned expansion project scheduled for completion in early 2026.

Last edited:
Every job is different. My wife took a pay cut and changed careers to work from home and be a legal assistant. She can do her job much easier from home.

In my line of work not so much.

I have zero interest in ever taking a job again for the rest of my life that requires me having to be in the office more than very rarely.

Reactions: pjhawk
Like clockwork, I got an office-wide return to office meeting invite today, mandatory attendance. Something tells me the trains won't be working that day

Not sure how easy it is for something like JPMChase to measure productivity with WFH with the crazy rate environment that has existed since the start of the pandemic. They haven't had a "normal" year of business since WFH started. Probably good for lenders to owners of commercial real estate if most businesses push a return to office.

/Tinfoil

Not sure how easy it is for something like JPMChase to measure productivity with WFH with the crazy rate environment that has existed since the start of the pandemic. They haven't had a "normal" year of business since WFH started. Probably good for lenders to owners of commercial real estate if most businesses push a return to office.

/Tinfoil
There’s no doubt why Jamie Dimon is pushing RTO….but he’s being pretty disingenuous with his logic and reasoning. I heard the same stuff at WF. The reality was that, on the whole, productivity didn’t miss a beat in the areas I worked in until they started shoving people out the door and not replacing even the worst of the attrition. That’s when they started burning people out.

I'm in software development, absolutely no desire to make the trek up 380 to CR everyday ever again. Team is just as effective remotely and like most spread out throughout our branches across the country. So if even in the office, would be on teams calls and not collaborating in person. We are not in any type of return to office mandate but have lost a few people to fully remote positions for bigger companies. Coincidentally one was to Chase. I've neglected to respond to inquiries from recruiters on LinkedIn but lately I've been thinking why not listen.

I was able to work from home occasionally if I wanted. Didn’t care for it.

Personally, I think the widespread implementation of working from home is not a good thing. In the office, you have in-person contact with other human beings. Social interactions like this are valuable for our sense of well being. If this is absent, then people lose their “social skills/social graces.” Much like the advent of social media where folks can now spew hatred while remaining anonymous, not seeing people in person at work would cause (in my opinion), people to lose their “filter” of tolerance for opinions and points of view that are different from theirs.

But…….that’s just my opinion and I’m sure it’s one that is not shared by anyone else.
Yes……I’m an old man yelling at a cloud.

Well, cracking down on WFH would keep some of the riff raff off of HROT during the day. I envision a bunch of the, "I'm so much more productive from home", posters spending 1-2 hours every day on HROT, in between pron breaks, while their inbox swells up.

I just started working from home this week after 30 years of 'standard' work.

I've noticed already that afternoon rum and cokes really pushes my creativity and productivity.

I'm not sure my liver is going to like this.

In all seriousness though, I doubt I'll ever go back

Reactions: CaboKP
I get the need for collaboration and teamwork so I can see the value in coming in once or twice a week but 5 days is a week is not worth it.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Who’s getting ahead, who’s getting the plum assignments? It’s the person going into the office every day

It is insane people say crap like this and don’t realize it demonstrates them to be terrible at allocating resources and planning. Who should we give this big research assignment to? Well Jimmy is in the cubicle 15 feet from me sooo….

Last edited:
Well, cracking down on WFH would keep some of the riff raff off of HROT during the day. I envision a bunch of the, "I'm so much more productive from home", posters spending 1-2 hours every day on HROT, in between pron breaks, while their inbox swells up.
Duh.

Personally, I think the widespread implementation of working from home is not a good thing. In the office, you have in-person contact with other human beings. Social interactions like this are valuable for our sense of well being. If this is absent, then people lose their “social skills/social graces.” Much like the advent of social media where folks can now spew hatred while remaining anonymous, not seeing people in person at work would cause (in my opinion), people to lose their “filter” of tolerance for opinions and points of view that are different from theirs.

But…….that’s just my opinion and I’m sure it’s one that is not shared by anyone else.
You’re literally old man yelling at THE cloud.

I agree. We are diminished when we spend less time with other people.

Reactions: ghost80
I agree. We are diminished when we spend less time with other people.
My main point with remote work vs. in-person is whether you’re actually spending time WITH people. If you’re just going into a cube to sit on Zoom/Skype/Teams meetings with people in other cities, states or countries, then what’s the point? There’s a little small talk with those around us, but I also talk to my neighbors when I get out and walk during breaks, which isn’t really any different than water cooler talk, I just didn’t pay for parking to do it.

If you’re working with colleagues/bosses and you get that face time? That’s awesome and there’s value there.

I think in-person interaction is near the bottom of the list of reasons I can think of to be in the office. I get more than my fair share of that over the course of the day

Reactions: ping72
Rather not have to sit in a cubicle ever again. I'm way more productive at home with my job. No one to stop by every half hour and interrupt me for 15 minutes. It gives me a great balance between work and home life. It's great to be able to knock a home project out while I'm also in a Teams meeting, etc. I haven't missed a beat working at home. My company tried to bring everyone back to the office, but a majority threatened to quit forcing upper management to allow home work to continue and I don't ever see us going back.

• Love
Reactions: ping72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT