ADVERTISEMENT

Reparations Task Force votes to approve recommendations for the payments of Reparations to Black Californians

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
CNN —
A panel in California created to consider reparations for Black residents voted over the weekend to approve recommendations for the payments of reparations to Black Californians for injustices and discrimination stemming from slavery.

Saturday’s meeting in Oakland was the 15th public meeting of the Task Force to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans, according to Kamilah Moore, chair of the panel.

The recommendations will be presented at the task force’s next meeting before being presented to the Legislature by the deadline of July 1. The recommendations outline restitution, which, if approved, could cost the state billions of dollars.

Among the possible estimates of reparations for Black Californians recommended by the task force are:

• Estimated value of payment for health care disparities: $13,619 for each year of residency, based on 71-year life expectancy.
  • Estimated payment for housing discrimination: $148,099 or $3,366 for each year between 1933 and 1977 spent as a resident of the state.
  • Estimated payment for mass incarceration and overpolicing: $115,260 or $2,352 for each year of residency in California during the 49-year period between 1971 and 2020.

The concept of paying reparations might assuage guilt, but it is not the solution - especially at a rate of $773K for a 40 year old lifelong Californian. It would simply cause a flight of capital, jobs and wealthy Californians to leave the state. The idea of reparations might feel good, but it is simply not economically or practically possible.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Payments are too low, go big or go home. Everyone should get at least 1 million.

CNN —
A panel in California created to consider reparations for Black residents voted over the weekend to approve recommendations for the payments of reparations to Black Californians for injustices and discrimination stemming from slavery.

Saturday’s meeting in Oakland was the 15th public meeting of the Task Force to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans, according to Kamilah Moore, chair of the panel.

The recommendations will be presented at the task force’s next meeting before being presented to the Legislature by the deadline of July 1. The recommendations outline restitution, which, if approved, could cost the state billions of dollars.

Among the possible estimates of reparations for Black Californians recommended by the task force are:

• Estimated value of payment for health care disparities: $13,619 for each year of residency, based on 71-year life expectancy.
  • Estimated payment for housing discrimination: $148,099 or $3,366 for each year between 1933 and 1977 spent as a resident of the state.
  • Estimated payment for mass incarceration and overpolicing: $115,260 or $2,352 for each year of residency in California during the 49-year period between 1971 and 2020.

I’m surprised is took this long for this to be posted. This was the top headline on Foxnews yesterday while everyone else was leading with the goings on in Texas.

Edit to add: If the legislature actually does something with this I’d move the fudge out of California. No way am I paying for this shit with my tax dollars.

I’m surprised is took this long for this to be posted. This was the top headline on Foxnews yesterday while everyone else was leading with the goings on in Texas.

Edit to add: If the legislature actually does something with this I’d move the fudge out of California. No way am I paying for this shit with my tax dollars.
I used to think there was no way something like this could pass on a state wide level...California might end up being the exception.

Reactions: SIXERS24

Under California's proposition system, they could put directly to a vote on the ballot.

Under California's proposition system, they could put directly to a vote on the ballot.

That’s true, I don’t think there’s enough white guilt even in California for it to pass though. People will talk a lot…but rarely put their money where their mouth is.

Reactions: SIXERS24
I would say Africans owe all black people in America at least a million dollars each since they sold them to the slave owners!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT