ADVERTISEMENT

Replay Ref

WWDMHawkeye

HB Heisman
Nov 13, 2014
SIAP in the game thread, etc. Probably worth its own thread.

I couldn’t believe the sideline catch by MN was ruled a catch. Seemed pretty clear on replay that there was never control.

Then it looked clear on the replay of Jazz’s non-TD run that he was on top of other players and that the ball broke the plane.

It seems like a remarkable series of screw jobs on replay in Iowa-MN games dating back to the non-fair-catch.

I’m assuming the jackwagon who screwed us over last year wasn’t in the booth this time. Glad that the two apparent screw jobs this time around didn’t affect the outcome.

SIAP in the game thread, etc. Probably worth its own thread.

I couldn’t believe the sideline catch by MN was ruled a catch. Seemed pretty clear on replay that there was never control.

Then it looked clear on the replay of Jazz’s non-TD run that he was on top of other players and that the ball broke the plane.

It seems like a remarkable series of screw jobs on replay in Iowa-MN games dating back to the non-fair-catch.

I’m assuming the jackwagon who screwed us over last year wasn’t in the booth this time. Glad that the two apparent screw jobs this time around didn’t affect the outcome.
Also the TD by Kaleb that was overturned that didn’t have a 100% clear view that he stepped out of bounds. Call on the field was TD.

Of the 3 big reviews

KJ stepping out of bounds on his TD run - I think refs got it right. Clearly had his foot on the line.

Minnesota catch on sideline - I think refs got it right. Had ball pinned to his shoulder with 1 foot in bounds before he went out.

Jazz TD ruled short - I think refs got that wrong, but those angles are so hard bc there are so many bodies in the way, so not surprised it stood.

Can you please get your bitching right the refs didn’t say it was a fair catch

Minnesota catch on sideline - I think refs got it right. Had ball pinned to his shoulder with 1 foot in bounds before he went out.
Did they change the rules with completing the process of the catch? Didn't seem like he ever had full control of that thing.

I seem to remember Iowa being screwed once (TD at Nebraska) after catching the ball both knees hitting the ground in the endzone, rolling over then losing the ball being called incomplete. Evidentially he had to watch his first born get married first before it would be called a catch.

No way the catch was a catch. He didn't complete the process.
My only question is the rule for that the same in college and NFL - not counting 2 feet rule? Even if he got both feet down I don’t think that’s a catch in the NFL based on what you said about process.

The other thing, the ref that called it a catch didn’t see the drop. He turned his back immediately and didn’t see the ball hit the ground.

I know that. My statement stands non the less...

No, running into the kicker is not reviewable. Acting or not, the call of running into the kicker was 100% the correct call. You can’t run into a punter after the ball is gone, without a blocked kick, and completely wrap him up. That is a penalty.

I’m assuming the ref didn’t buy the acting hence it was the lesser form of the penalty.

Do I assume the roughing our kicker was not reviewable? Worst acting job since whatever was Nicholas Cage's last movie...
and the number of players going up to congratulate dakin after was somewhat cringe...but i absolutely loved it after being on the other side of it seemingly every year forever

Did the MIN guy mean to run into Dakin and hug him? Probably not.

But the ref had no choice to call that "running into the punter, 5 yard penalty". You can't stand there and slow dance with the opposing punter during live action in undeniably plain sight.

As far as the potentially game-changing replay calls?

- MIN receiver stepped out before completing security & process of catch, and ultimately dropped the ball anyways. Should have been ruled incomplete.

- It was by only a couple blades of field turf, but KJ did step out. He scored a play later, so all good.

- Patterson was absolutely laying on the back of an OL and broke the plane with the ball before his off arm elbow touched down, but it was a wad of bodies to try & determine it with 100% surety and Iowa scored on the next play, so again, all good.

Why was it cringe? He moved the ball for a first down.
i just felt second hand embarrasment at the showing of our players awarding dakin an oscar on national tv for some very exaggerated acting. that said, the penalty call was absolutely on the money

i just felt second hand embarrasment at the showing of our players awarding dakin an oscar on national tv for some very exaggerated acting. that said, the penalty call was absolutely on the money
Dude's 100% coached to go flop if run into. I don't care if it's cringe if it works.

Of the 3 big reviews

KJ stepping out of bounds on his TD run - I think refs got it right. Clearly had his foot on the line.

Jazz TD ruled short - I think refs got that wrong, but those angles are so hard bc there are so many bodies in the way, so not surprised it stood.
The downed punt for minny was a bad call. The kid had his foot on the goal line

Even if it’s not running into the kicker, he grabbed him so it’s holding. Automatic first down.

After the kick is gone, change of possession, it would be minus 10 yards from the end of the return. Goofer’s football.

The officiating wasn't bad, or perhaps wasn't any worse than usual is a better way to put it. Certainly not helpful to Iowa but we were the road team. I cannot believe those words are leaving my keyboard.

It wasn’t. I disagreed with the replays. I thought KJ was likely out at the 1.5 yard line but not enough to overturn the call. I thought Jaz got in but not enough to overturn that call. Not clear video of either play to change the on field official’s call.

I thought Iowa got away with a couple of PI’s and Minn got away with at least one obvious hold that would have been a sack. Same could probably be said for almost every game yesterday.

Reactions: peacehawk
They either have no idea what they're doing or they know exactly what they're doing. That sideline "catch" wasn't even actually reviewed was it? I heard no announcement. If you watch the highlights on youtube, the side judge too quickly takes his eyes off the receiver and rules a catch, like he's more worried about getting the spot correct than actually seeing if he maintains control. Having the ball awkwardly pinned against your earhole for a second doesn't constitute a catch. Any irregular catch like that needs to be maintained through contact. If I catch a ball with one hand against my leg and it squirts away when I hit the ground after falling out of bounds, is that a catch too?

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Also, anyone notice on our FG that Minny player #0 came close to blocking it by illegally vaulting? Imagine if that fg had been blocked and returned for a TD with no call. Stupid ass refs. There were TWO of them back there with a plain view of it, it's literally their only job on this kind of play.

No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may: 1. Step, jump or stand on a teammate. 2. Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height. 3. Be picked up by a teammate, or be elevated, propelled or pushed.

The officiating wasn't bad, or perhaps wasn't any worse than usual is a better way to put it. Certainly not helpful to Iowa but we were the road team. I cannot believe those words are leaving my keyboard.
This is my opinion. They could have maybe called some of the more obvious holdings, but overall I thought they did fine.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
They either have no idea what they're doing or they know exactly what they're doing. That sideline "catch" wasn't even actually reviewed was it? I heard no announcement. If you watch the highlights on youtube, the side judge too quickly takes his eyes off the receiver and rules a catch, like he's more worried about getting the spot correct than actually seeing if he maintains control. Having the ball awkwardly pinned against your earhole for a second doesn't constitute a catch. Any irregular catch like that needs to be maintained through contact. If I catch a ball with one hand against my leg and it squirts away when I hit the ground after falling out of bounds, is that a catch too?
You are mostly right but we know the officials are human and will make mistakes, or simply disagree with what we think constitutes bobbling the ball, where the all white shoe hits the all white line.

The problems begin when the officials' "mistakes" target primarily one team and/or in an unusual number or type.

It wasn’t. I disagreed with the replays. I thought KJ was likely out at the 1.5 yard line but not enough to overturn the call. I thought Jaz got in but not enough to overturn that call. Not clear video of either play to change the on field official’s call.

I thought Iowa got away with a couple of PI’s and Minn got away with at least one obvious hold that would have been a sack. Same could probably be said for almost every game yesterday.
KJ's foot was clearly on the white. You could see that on the jumbotron at the stadium. Iowa did get away with some close PIs and Minne some holds. It seemed to balance out.

Did the MIN guy mean to run into Dakin and hug him? Probably not.

But the ref had no choice to call that "running into the punter, 5 yard penalty". You can't stand there and slow dance with the opposing punter during live action in undeniably plain sight.

As far as the potentially game-changing replay calls?

- MIN receiver stepped out before completing security & process of catch, and ultimately dropped the ball anyways. Should have been ruled incomplete.

- It was by only a couple blades of field turf, but KJ did step out. He scored a play later, so all good.

- Patterson was absolutely laying on the back of an OL and broke the plane with the ball before his off arm elbow touched down, but it was a wad of bodies to try & determine it with 100% surety and Iowa scored on the next play, so again, all good.
I agree with your entire assessment. One could argue that the MN WR secured the ball for a brief instant against his shoulder but I wasn't sure that his right foot was still down on the turf at that same moment. Knowing how gutless some refs are, I wasn't surprised when they let it stand after the review.

One of the announcers was a Gopher homer during the first half,.. Became noticeably less partisan during second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT