ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans pitch tax cuts for corporations, the wealthy in 2025

Do rich people pay too much or too little in taxes?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
“If you’re going to vote on taxes, the key question you should ask yourself is, ‘Do I think rich people pay too much or too little?’” said Michael Linden, a former Biden administration budget official and senior policy fellow at the Washington Center for Equitable Growth.

Trump has asked wealthy donors for donations, promising large tax breaks in return if he retakes the White House.
[excerpts]
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) lowered rates for individuals of nearly all income levels, though it cut taxes most for the highest earners, and slashed the maximum corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. The individual portions of that law expire in 2025, but Republicans who wrote the law made the business tax cuts permanent.
Now GOP lawmakers and some of Trump’s economic advisers are considering more corporate tax breaks — which could expand the national debt by roughly $1 trillion over the next decade.
Extending all of the Trump tax law would add $4.6 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Biden and other global leaders have marched toward a unified corporate minimum tax rate of 15 percent to prevent businesses from shopping around the world for tax havens. A lower corporate rate, as some Republicans seek, would unwind that arrangement.

“There is a discussion about going to 15 [percent] and a discussion about just under 15 [percent], to make it clear to the globalists that we haven’t signed on to their stupid treaty or their agreement,” the anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist, a Trump ally, said.

more here

• Wow
Reactions: Ree4
I noticed that none of the choices said
About what they’re supposed to.

I think it would be important to define what rich means. >$500k/yr?

Most normal people with a good income do not have the tax write-offs of the very wealthy and those with old money.

Reactions: mattymoknows

Average Americans with a good income do not have the tax write-offs of the very wealthy and those with old money.
Roths are important to those who are doing well.
Mortgage interest is important.
College savings accounts are important
Charitable Contributions are imortant
State and local taxes are important

Millionaires and Billionaires are more likely to have more complicated sources of revenue and
If they also have creative options to limit their tax exposure then I’m okay with that.
Their money is none of my business and my money is none of theirs.

Reactions: abby97 and CaboKP
Why didn’t Republicans cut spending to pay for those tax cuts. Going to disagree. Time to cut spending and increase taxes some.
First, the GOP misunderstood the Laffer Curve with the Trump tax cuts.
Second, the Trump tax cuts are going to expire.
Third, increasing tax rates on the wealthy rarely raises as much revenue as increasing GDP.
Fourth, and most important, we have a SPENDING problem.

Most normal people with a good income do not have the tax write-offs of the very wealthy and those with old money.
That's pretty general. Can you be more specific?

Reactions: goldmom
Third, increasing tax rates on the wealthy rarely raises as much revenue as increasing GDP.
I don’t believe all the tax cuts expire. Someone can correct me if i have that wrong.

First, GOP didn’t misunderstand. They ignored it. Had to pay off the donors. Priority one
Second Trump Tax Cuts expired for lower class way before the wealthy
Third , things need to become more aligned when we were running closer to neutral numbers. On the budget. So we have room for error when emergencies strike.
Fourth, the issue is both sides of ledger. Our economy is so large we can’t cut or tax our way out of it.

It was no accident in timing that the Trump tax cuts were set to expire at the end of what would have been his second term.
There was specific intent to have Mericans see their taxes go up after he was out of office to make him/GOP look better.

Few voters thoroughly research issues and only rely on what they see on cable news...specifically Radical Right sources.
It's why MAGA is MAGA.

That's pretty general. Can you be more specific?
The thought is the very rich have more loopholes and can end up paying much less in taxes (by %) than the average worker. I would be ok with not changing tax rates, but instead close down some of the loopholes.

First, GOP didn’t misunderstand. They ignored it. Had to pay off the donors. Priority one
Second Trump Tax Cuts expired for lower class way before the wealthy
Third , things need to become more aligned when we were running closer to neutral numbers. On the budget. So we have room for error when emergencies strike.
Fourth, the issue is both sides of ledger. Our economy is so large we can’t cut or tax our way out of it.
We can cut our way out of it. It wasn't that long ago when baseline spending was $2T less than today.

Republicans should be campaigning on maintaining the Trump tax cuts,.. which Dems will most certainly allow to lapse...
Yes.
If the dems let them lapse and people see their take home pay go down with more inflation maybe they’ll wake up.
Doubt it for some libtards but maybe for a few.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Yes.
If the dems let them lapse and people see their take home pay go down with more inflation maybe they’ll wake up.
Doubt it for some libtards but maybe for a few.
Wait, so now you're saying that we need to continue the stimulus to the wealthy and that will cause inflation to go down? LOL

This is where you right wing dumbasses trip all over yourself with regard to the economy. First - "We have too much money in the system, it's causing inflation." Next - "We need to keep the tax cuts for the wealthy. Incomes will fall and that will cause more inflation."

It would be comical if there weren't so many idiots that will vote for that kind of nonsense.

Reactions: TheCainer and Ree4
Wait, so now you're saying that we need to continue the stimulus to the wealthy and that will cause inflation to go down? LOL

This is where you right wing dumbasses trip all over yourself with regard to the economy. First - "We have too much money in the system, it's causing inflation." Next - "We need to keep the tax cuts for the wealthy. Incomes will fall and that will cause more inflation."

It would be comical if there weren't so many idiots that will vote for that kind of nonsense.
Nope. Cut spending.
The current tax laws help many lower and middle class with higher standard deductions and lower rates.
Wait and see if that goes away,

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The thought is the very rich have more loopholes and can end up paying much less in taxes (by %) than the average worker. I would be ok with not changing tax rates, but instead close down some of the loopholes.
Please define "loophole". Many politicians now claim a basic deduction that the politicians intentionally wrote into law, as a "loophole." Closing the "loopholes" is just another political talking point to enrage ignorant voters. If one is actually serious about eliminating all loopholes and making sure everyone pays taxes fairly, simply have a flat tax rate with no deductions.

Reactions: Rifler
Please define "loophole". Many politicians now claim a basic deduction that the politicians intentionally wrote into law, as a "loophole." Closing the "loopholes" is just another political talking point to enrage ignorant voters. If one is actually serious about eliminating all loopholes and making sure everyone pays taxes fairly, simply have a flat tax rate with no deductions.
I'd be fine with a flat tax.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
The GOP should leave taxes alone. It's not the time to raise or cut taxes. It is time to cut government spending, particularly at the federal level.

Except, if we had taxes on the wealthy back at Reagan (or even pre-Reagan) levels, we'd be able to balance the budget...

Put cap gains back at 39%, exclude retirement accounts valued under $5M

“If you’re going to vote on taxes, the key question you should ask yourself is, ‘Do I think rich people pay too much or too little?’” said Michael Linden, a former Biden administration budget official and senior policy fellow at the Washington Center for Equitable Growth.

Trump has asked wealthy donors for donations, promising large tax breaks in return if he retakes the White House.
[excerpts]
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) lowered rates for individuals of nearly all income levels, though it cut taxes most for the highest earners, and slashed the maximum corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. The individual portions of that law expire in 2025, but Republicans who wrote the law made the business tax cuts permanent.
Now GOP lawmakers and some of Trump’s economic advisers are considering more corporate tax breaks — which could expand the national debt by roughly $1 trillion over the next decade.
Extending all of the Trump tax law would add $4.6 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Biden and other global leaders have marched toward a unified corporate minimum tax rate of 15 percent to prevent businesses from shopping around the world for tax havens. A lower corporate rate, as some Republicans seek, would unwind that arrangement.

“There is a discussion about going to 15 [percent] and a discussion about just under 15 [percent], to make it clear to the globalists that we haven’t signed on to their stupid treaty or their agreement,” the anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist, a Trump ally, said.

more here

Deficits don't matter when the GOP is in charge, yo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT