ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds’ plan to reorganize Iowa state government advances

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A sweeping proposal to restructure the executive branch of Iowa state government took a key step toward becoming law by passing the Iowa Senate on Tuesday.

Gov. Kim Reynolds’ proposal, in the form of a nearly 1,600-page bill, was approved only by her fellow Republicans in the Senate.

Reynolds has argued that Iowa state government is overdue for restructuring, that a reorganization of this scope has not been conducted since the 1980s.

Advertisement

She said her proposed reorganization will make state government more efficient and responsive to Iowans, and that it can be accomplished without laying off any state workers. The governor’s office said some state positions that are currently vacant will be eliminated through attrition.

“The result will be a state government that will be aligned with the only reason that it exists, and that is to serve Iowans,” Reynolds said earlier Tuesday at the Capitol while speaking to a meeting of the Iowa Bankers Association.

Democrats have argued the proposal streamlines state government to the point where it gives the governor too much authority, and reiterated myriad concerns raised by state workers and advocates that believe some of the proposed changes will adversely impact some agencies and their services.

“(The proposal) is a power grab, plain and simple,” said Sen. Zach Wahls, the Senate Democrats’ leader from Coralville.

The bill passed the Senate on a 34-15, mostly party-line vote.

Sen. Jason Schultz, a Republican from Schleswig who chairs the Senate’s committee on state government and has been shepherding Reynolds’ proposal through the legislative process, disputed the argument that the bill represents a power grab.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

“We’re taking departments, commissions, boards, entities and placing them closer to the governor’s chain of command,” Schultz said.

Under the bill, the number of state agencies with directors who report directly to the governor would be reduced from 37 to 16. Myriad departments would be merged: for example, the Department of Cultural Affairs would merge with the Department of Administrative Services, the Iowa Finance Authority would merge with the Iowa Economic Development Authority, and the Department of Human Rights would merge with the Department of Health and Human Services.

Among many other provisions, the proposal also would create more agency leaders who are appointed by the governor and subject to Iowa Senate confirmation, rather than being elected by state boards or commissions; and brings community-based corrections programs into the state’s Department of Corrections.

The proposal also would give the governor more leeway to pay directors higher salaries, which Reynolds has said is needed to recruit and retain top talent and streamline higher salaries by eliminating the need for bonuses; would explicitly state that the state attorney general has the authority to prosecute cases without first consulting with the county attorney; and would give the state attorney general’s office exclusive jurisdiction over elections-related cases.

Majority Republicans advanced the giant bill with only minor, technical amendments. Nothing of substance in Reynolds’ original proposal was changed.

“I have come to the conclusion that the homework has been done, that the concerns, while they are legitimate concerns, but the answers I received show that the homework has been done and that this is a good bill,” Schultz said.

Senate Democrats presented 11 amendments to the bill, most proposing to strike a proposed change and keep a state agency where it currently resides within state government.

For example, Democrats proposed eliminating the attorney general jurisdiction language, preventing the dissolution of the state board of health, keeping community-based corrections programs more independent of the state, and keeping where they are the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, the state consumer advocate’s office, and the Department of the Blind.

Majority Republicans rejected each amendment proposed by Democrats.

“I wish we could have addressed more changes in this chamber, rather than a complete rejection of any ideas the minority party had,“ said Sen. Tony Bisignano, a Democrat from Des Moines.

Reynolds’ proposal, Senate File 514, was informed by recommendations made in a 68-page report produced by a Virginia-based consulting firm. Guidehouse was paid nearly $1 million by the state, which used federal pandemic relief funds.

The Guidehouse report estimates that if the governor’s office implements its recommendations, the state could save a total of roughly $215 million over four years, including $73.5 million in the first year. Those savings include the proposed selling off of some state-owned lands around prisons.

A fiscal analysis from the state’s nonpartisan Legislative Services Agency says the governor’s bill — which does not include those prospective land sales — will reduce state general fund spending by $12.4 million in the first year.

With its passage in the Senate, the proposal now needs only the blessing of the Iowa House. The House is not expected to debate the bill this week.

• Angry
Reactions: h-hawk
So...somewhere in this effort, Dim Kim will propose something that takes aim at all political opponents and agencies that have ever stood up to her.

Indirectly, it's a way to reduce employees who are under IPERS because she's known all along her massive, unnecessary tax cuts were going to drain the State's revenues and force the State into default on it's financial obligations.

What an evil tyrant.

Combining some of these departments and reducing the associated bureaucracy doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Should do that on the federal level periodically

Reactions: abby97
To piggyback on my previous comments, I hope anyone that read Ciggy's post noticed the mention of how many unfilled, high paying positions are involved.

These are college degree jobs that no one wants because well educated grads are fleeing this State.

Reynolds realizes her policies are creating unnecessary problems and revenue shortfalls.

She trying to reduce government expenses/services, in advance of her plans to do away with the state income tax. While also consolidating her control of the remaining state agencies.
And some of the consolidation efforts will place agencies in departments with deep conflicts of interest, putting the State Historic Preservation Office in the Department of Economic Development instead of the State Historical Society (moving to the Department of Administrative Services from Cultural Affrairs), for example.

Her frenetic pace of ramming stuff through the legislature is frightening.

No debate, no opportunity for citizens to speak with their elected representatives, and no swing around the State to explain her actions.

This is a GIANT red flag to me.

Dim Kim is making Terry Braindead look good.

Think about that for a moment.
You're not kidding. Not one thing she does benefits everyday Iowans. She's doing damage to the state which will take 20 years to fix. I mean, I could understand if 60% of the state agreed with her stances on the issues, but they don't. She doesn't care. They are going to ram through everything that she wants done. Someone gave the Republicans a helluva playbook, because they are following it and everyone else be damned. Christian Taliban.

Reactions: MitchLL
You're not kidding. Not one thing she does benefits everyday Iowans. She's doing damage to the state which will take 20 years to fix. I mean, I could understand if 60% of the state agreed with her stances on the issues, but they don't. She doesn't care. They are going to ram through everything that she wants done. Someone gave the Republicans a helluva playbook, because they are following it and everyone else be damned. Christian Taliban.
ALEC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
o.k....but I think combining departments and reducing the bureaucracy is a good idea.

What's the sinister intent here?
To gain more direct control over all state agencies. To eliminate any obstructions to what she wants, and to reduce financial oversight. Also, to dramatically cut existing regulations and licensing which will lower environmental protections and service quality.

To gain more direct control over all state agencies. To eliminate any obstructions to what she wants, and to reduce financial oversight. Also, to dramatically cut existing regulations and licensing which will lower environmental protections and service quality.
That's certainly one way to look at it :)

Her frenetic pace of ramming stuff through the legislature is frightening.

No debate, no opportunity for citizens to speak with their elected representatives, and no swing around the State to explain her actions.

This is a GIANT red flag to me.
How do you feel about bypassing the legislature to spend $400B+ with absolutely zero debate? :)

• Love
Reactions: abby97
Ramming all this stuff through with little thought is very concerning. However that's not me agreeing that things should be the way they are...the fact that the Iowa State Fair is currently considered it's own department is mind-boggling for example.

Because I don't see the bill in the same lens you do. I don't see a problem with it.
Because you live in Florida and have no clue what you're talking about as far as Iowa politics go. That's why you don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't argue with you about Charlie Christ.

Do you trust Donald Trump? If no, then I'm the same with with our wicked governor. I have witnessed enough out of her to not trust a single thing she's doing. It's always SELF SERVING. Not for the people. But you go ahead and argue with people who know more than you on a topic. It's your thing.

Because you live in Florida and have no clue what you're talking about as far as Iowa politics go. That's why you don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't argue with you about Charlie Christ.

Do you trust Donald Trump? If no, then I'm the same with with our wicked governor. I have witnessed enough out of her to not trust a single thing she's doing. It's always SELF SERVING. Not for the people. But you go ahead and argue with people who know more than you on a topic. It's your thing.
Fair enough

Reactions: Tom Paris
So she’s a great governor?
If you like fascist dictator types, she's one of the best, very similar indeed to Meatball Ron. Honestly, she's flicking her own bean hoping that if Meatball runs for POTUS that he will tap her skinny, old harpy ass as his VP choice.

This whole anti-woke BS agenda they roll out on a daily basis must resonate for some people. Personally I find it exhausting, mean and cruel and certainly not in line with any type of actual Christian values of any kind.

If you like fascist dictator types, she's one of the best, very similar indeed to Meatball Ron. Honestly, she's flicking her own bean hoping that if Meatball runs for POTUS that he will tap her skinny, old harpy ass as his VP choice.

This whole anti-woke BS agenda they roll out on a daily basis must resonate for some people. Personally I find it exhausting, mean and cruel and certainly not in line with any type of actual Christian values of any kind.
Ok.

side note...she found out even after all her sucking up to Trump she's not on his shortlist for VP candidates. So what does she do? Now she's appearing with Desantis at an event.

• Angry
Reactions: cigaretteman
side note...she found out even after all her sucking up to Trump she's not on his shortlist for VP candidates. So what does she do? Now she's appearing with Desantis at an event.
With what she's doing to this State, anything to remove her works for me.

But I think she's going to have other problems here because there will come a point where she pisses off a wacko and something bad will happen to her.

When history is written, it will not be kind to Dim Kim.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT