ADVERTISEMENT

RIP: Sid Vicious

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002

Pro wrestling legend Sid Eudy, known to fans as Sid Vicious, dies at 63​

Pro wrestler Sid Eudy dies after battling cancer

Pro wrestling legend Sid Eudy, whose big frame and imposing presence catapulted him to the top of the industry in the 1990s, has died, the coroner of Crittenden County, Arkansas, confirmed Monday. He was 63.

Eudy lived in Marion, a suburb 12 miles west of downtown Memphis, Tennessee, with wife, Sabrina Estes Eudy. Their son, Gunnar, posted news of his father’s death on Facebook.

Gunnar Eudy said his father died "after battling cancer for several years."

Eudy, also known as Sycho Sid and Sid Vicious, won the WWF championship twice, the WCW world heavyweight championship twice and the USWA unified world heavyweight championship twice, according to his bio on IMDb.

Sid Eudy, right, with Hulk Hogan  (Daily Mirror  / Mirrorpix via Getty Images file)

Sid Eudy, right, with Hulk Hogan at Madison Square Garden in New York in 1992.

He performed mainly during the 1990s, when pro wrestling had a resurgence among mainstream audiences, headlining multiple pay-per-view shows for WWF and WCW, including WWF's WrestleMania VIII and 13 in 1992 and 1997, respectively, as well as WCW's Starrcade in 2000, according to the bio.Billed at 6 feet, 9 inches tall, he was physical as well as theatrical. Eudy's WWE bio (WWF rebranded in 2002 after being challenged by the World Wildlife Fund) said he was a standout presence in a sport dominated by human spectacle.

"One of the most brutal Superstars to ever terrorize WWE, the sadistic Sid brought an intensity that few could ever hope to contain. Just ask the litany of ring legends who have incurred his wrath — a hit list that includes Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, Bret 'Hit Man' Hart and many more," the bio says.

Sid Eudy and  Hulk Hogan with raised hands (John Barrett / PHOTOlink / MediaPunch via AP)

Sid Eudy, right, with Hulk Hogan in 1992.

He joined WCW in 1989 and was making a name for himself and dispatching foes in WWE by 1991, the company said in its obituary.He went on to win the WWE championship in 1996 and 1997 and became known as "The Master and Ruler of the World," WWE said.
Pro wrestler and Hall of Famer Booker T. Huffman said Monday on X that Eudy was instrumental in his career.

“Without Sid Vicious, I don’t think my brother and I would have made it to WCW,” he said, referring to brother Lash, known in the ring as Stevie Ray. “His impact on this business was undeniable, and he paved the way for so many of us. My deepest condolences to his family during this difficult time.”

Son Gunnar agreed that Eudy wasn't all brute force.

"He was a man of strength, kindness, and love, and his presence will be greatly missed," he wrote on Facebook.
He is survived by Sabrina, Gunnar and another son, Frank.

The dude was a softball legend. Softball Sid was what those who played with him called him. He could absolutely mash a softball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT