1% Native American

There are about 51 million adults who are RC
in America. About half of them vote GOP and
half vote Democrat. They are losing White
members and gaining Hispanic members.
Most RC members are losing patience with the
current Pope's failure to punish priests who
are guilty of child sex abuse.

I am Catholic, and its not the current Pope's failures. I lose patience with bishops getting involved in US public policy.

About 20% of the American population is
Roman Catholic. That is a significant fact.
It helps us understand their influence on
daily life in our nation.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
This doesn't even make sense as they are combining race and ethnicity. Most Central American Hispanics are White.

Should be:

~34% Hispanic
~66% Non-Hispanic

Or

~90% White
~6% Black
~3% Asian
~1% Native American

How are Catholics suddenly altering their genetic makeup? I’ll have to inform my Catholic friend back in Iowa that his family are no longer 100% Italian but are now 34% Hispanic. No idea about the remaining 66%. That means tacos and enchiladas twice a week, right?

Reactions: TheCainer
The Hispanic population in America is growing.
They feel comfortable as Roman Catholics.
They will continue to become a large segment
of the RC Church in America. Hispanic people
look to Christianity as an important part of life.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Yep it’ll be interesting, Democrats think they will have their vote.. but it’s going to be hard to tell these devote Catholics abortion are ok..

Reactions: LuteHawk
Does that mean Catholics get more respect now?

Of course not, but it will mean some assumptions about how certain demographics vote will be called into question. My guess is Hispanics aren’t as on board with wokism, cancel culture, hating on religion, and opening the border for all (in an attempt to get more blue votes in the southwest)

Reactions: BHawkeye1999

Lute,

There are more than just "Roman" Catholics. That's just one church within Catholicism.

There are millions of people in different Catholic churches like the Coptic, Greek, Armenian and Meronite, etc.

"Catholic" just means "universal" in Greek. Not all Catholics are "Roman" Catholics.

Lute,

There are more than just "Roman" Catholics. That's just one church within Catholicism.

There are millions of people in different Catholic churches like the Coptic, Greek, Armenian and Meronite, etc.

"Catholic" just means "universal" in Greek. Not all Catholics are "Roman" Catholics.

Correct
There are technically 23 Eastern Catholic Churches, and 1 Western Catholic/Latin Rite (this would be the most common in the USA). Then there are all the Orthodox Churches which an argument could be made that even despite the schism they are apart, yet in a fight, with the larger Catholic Church because of the valid sacraments.

Yes the outreach to the Latinos from the Catholic Church has been incredible, I wish it was better for the other main minority group in this country, what a shit show that has been.

The Ruthenian Catholic Church I heard had a presence in Iowa City, they were operating out of one of the Latin Rite Churches, they have since moved to Muscatine though.

Like Joe Biden, I'm a semi recovered cafeteria Catholic. Like all the Catholics I grew up with it plays a very, very small part of our daily lives. Weddings/funerals...
Like you, I'm against abortion unless I've knocked up the neighbor girl again.

(There are young girls on both sides of our house. It's not the same girl you sick bastards.)

And are still Mexican soccer fans, so clearly the positive effects of religion are overrated.

About 20% of the American population is
Roman Catholic. That is a significant fact.
It helps us understand their influence on
daily life in our nation.
How many of the SCOTUS bench is Catholic? Quite a few, more than 20%.

EDIT: Just now saw Trad's post. I knew it was a high number but wasn't sure how high.

Yep it’ll be interesting, Democrats think they will have their vote.. but it’s going to be hard to tell these devote Catholics abortion are ok..
If Lute's info is accurate the 50/50 Dem/Rep split would suggest that a lot RC's have a firm grasp on the important idea of separation of church and state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT