ADVERTISEMENT

Romney criticizes parade of GOP leaders appearing outside NY courthouse

I mean I guess if you believe we doubled the amount of mail in votes and somehow became more efficient at the process, then there is really no point having a convo with you. All of those government run practices and agencies are known for their efficiency after all! Maybe use that noggin a lil'
Yeah if only there was a logical reason out there somewhere in the universe that would help to explain why so many more people would prefer to vote by mail in the fall of 2020. What was going on in the world at the time? Such an elusive reason, I’m sure.

That must have been a very awkward and humbling dinner for Romney. He had just several months trying to convince Republicans to vote for someone other than Trump, and now here he was begging for a job. I doubt Trump ever seriously considered him for Secretary of State. He probably just wanted to see Romney grovel. And that’s too bad because Romney would have been an excellent Secretary of State.
I will fully admit that not the least of the reason I didn’t like Romney in ‘12 was because I questioned his ability to stand up to the radical wing of his party. He has proven me wrong in that regard.

As you said, I’d have been perfectly fine with him as the GOP nominee in ‘16 instead.

I will fully admit that not the least of the reason I didn’t like Romney in ‘12 was because I questioned his ability to stand up to the radical wing of his party. He has proven me wrong in that regard.

As you said, I’d have been perfectly fine with him as the GOP nominee in ‘16 instead.

I really liked Romney and was so annoyed with the binders full of women thing. Talk about small potatoes compared to nowadays. Trump could open a binder full of women, whip his bean can out, and spew all over them and the GOP would eat it up.

The outgoing Republican senator said the growing list of GOP leaders traveling to New York to demonstrate their support for Trump is “embarrassing,” “demeaning,” and “difficult to watch.”

Meanwhile, Trump is in Cincinnati today for a $50,000 per plate lunch fundraiser. JD Vance will be in attendance, presumably to audition to be Trump’s running mate.

Link
Set aside what one thinks of the trial, or of trump. Legislators have no business "lobbying" outside of judicial proceedings.

I really liked Romney and was so annoyed with the binders full of women thing. Talk about small potatoes compared to nowadays. Trump could open a binder full of women, whip his bean can out, and spew all over them and the GOP would eat it up.
They'd say, "that right there is a REAL alpha male. Look how he shot his goo all over that binder. Friggin Hillary couldn't do that!"

I just remembering that he sounded like a relative moderate within the GOP, but he’d had to sprint so far to the right for their support in the primaries; I just didn’t see how he could pivot back to the middle without also appeasing the Republican right.

Reactions: BelemNole
I just remembering that he sounded like a relative moderate within the GOP, but he’d had to sprint so far to the right for their support in the primaries; I just didn’t see how he could pivot back to the middle without also appeasing the Republican right.

The Neanderthal Tea Party is what caused all that and ultimately gave birth to the abortion that is MAGA. The GOP has never been the same since screaming rude old farts and nasty ass hillbillies became in vogue. It’s been a trash bin ever since and I don’t see them pulling out of it in my lifetime.

I still wish Romney had waited and ran in 2016 instead. He had zero chance of beating Obama. I think a second Obama term followed by Romney would have been a much better scenario for this country.

The left would have vilified Romney just as they did with Bush and Trump.

Binders full of women was a preview.

WEZYRWFXHUI6NDF2ZSQ4PAVP6E.jpg
To be fair to Romney, I don't think he knew how deplorable Trump was, and still thought he could be a part of a competent administration. Romney didn't understand how vile and narcissistic Trump was, and the point of the dinner that night was to bring him in and humiliate him. Normal people don't think that way.

The left would have vilified Romney just as they did with Bush and Trump.

Binders full of women was a preview.
You poor, poor little victim. Romney, and neither George Sr or George Jr were anywhere near Trump's level. That was back when you could debate issues and have differing viewpoints. You rushed to join a cult.

I don't get it. Why does he think that Biden should have pardoned Trump? Mitt makes no sense. Trump is a criminal but should have been let off the hook?
The flaw is that Trump would have had to admit guilt in order to be offered a pardon. Trump has never, ever admitted fault or guilt. And, a pardon doesn't keep Trump from running again. Trump was never going to go away quietly. Even if he'd signed an agreement to never run again in exchange for a pardon, it's unenforceable, and Trump would have ignored it. Saying it was fake, or a sham, or Biden somehow didn't hold up his end of the deal.

Set aside what one thinks of the trial, or of trump. Legislators have no business "lobbying" outside of judicial proceedings.
Or, conspiring with a criminal defendant to circumvent a gag order. There appears to be some evidence that Trump directed specific comments to be made by his surrogates. However, I doubt Marchan wants to go down that road by seeking an investigation. Trump and the assembled minions would just lie. Even Iowa's AG would lie. You don't show up for that kind of a degradation if you aren't prepared to lie.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
As much as I appreciate Romney's comments, and his strength to vote to impeach Trump, he has still not said that he would vote for Biden. Hard to say that Trump is a threat to democracy and the fiber of the country, but, you know, can't vote for a Dem.

As much as I appreciate Romney's comments, and his strength to vote to impeach Trump, he has still not said that he would vote for Biden. Hard to say that Trump is a threat to democracy and the fiber of the country, but, you know, can't vote for a Dem.
He hasn’t promised to vote for Biden yet, but he has publicly stated he will “absolutely not” vote for Trump.

The right hasn’t even moved right. It’s moved into the stratosphere of conspiracy theories and cult-like adoration of a douchenozzle.

But please keep telling us how one party is extreme.
Both parties have their extremes, but the Republican extremes are worse and the support seems to be growing. That’s why I’m done with them.

Reactions: billanole
Both parties have their extremes, but the Republican extremes are worse and the support seems to be growing. That’s why I’m done with them.

I’m with you. I just push back on what “extreme” really means. There is no far-right with the current version of the GOP. It’s all a mess of conspiracy theories and allegiance to a giant f-bag of a human being

There is no policy.

There is no direction.

It’s literally owning the Libs and causing chaos. Which - I guess - works for 30-35% of the electorate. Which is f’in sad.

He hasn’t promised to vote for Biden yet, but he has publicly stated he will “absolutely not” vote for Trump.
Sure, so you are saying he's waiting to hear more from RFK Jr or Jill Stein? He voted to impeach one of the two major candidates, but he cannot publicly say he'd vote for the guy competently doing the job right now?

Sure, so you are saying he's waiting to hear more from RFK Jr or Jill Stein? He voted to impeach one of the two major candidates, but he cannot publicly say he'd vote for the guy competently doing the job right now?
The election is still 5+ months away. Maybe he's like me and still holding out hope that Trump dies or goes to prison before then.

The flaw is that Trump would have had to admit guilt in order to be offered a pardon. Trump has never, ever admitted fault or guilt. And, a pardon doesn't keep Trump from running again. Trump was never going to go away quietly. Even if he'd signed an agreement to never run again in exchange for a pardon, it's unenforceable, and Trump would have ignored it. Saying it was fake, or a sham, or Biden somehow didn't hold up his end of the deal.
After all these years, Mitt still doesn't understand Trump.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT