ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Question

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Watch this video.

Megan's pivot foot is her right foot. She then takes a step without dribbling and scores. During this game I saw several NC State players do the TRAVELING motion with their arms. I have seen people comment to this very video saying that it is traveling.

Well, she does this move all the time.

Is it traveling? I guess not because it's never called.

Reactions: BBHawk and SLarew
Not traveling on a shot. If she tried to dribble instead of shooting after that it would be.

How in the heck do they think that’s traveling? Not even close. Pivot, step, shoot. Basic basketball

yes, that is correct

she has to put the shot up after the step or its a travel
Why can’t you drop a pass to a teammate at that point too? What makes that a travel as opposed to shooting after lifting the pivot foot. It all looks like traveling to me.

Really?

THIS is what some people pick on out of the countless "is this traveling" plays out there in the world of basketball?

This is why I don't do Twitter.....Because I would build a device that would allow me to teleport through the e-waves and the computer screen to wherever the people are that post these things, and just slap the sh** out of them with a fake 3D-printed hand that I put padding stuffed with metal on, and they would deserve it.

That is not traveling and Mr. Dull is an idiot.

People who do not understand how a step-through move works should probably learn a bit more about the game before they decide to watch it again.

She establishes her right foot as pivot foot. She is allowed to move her left foot and even take a step on it so long as the right foot does not hit the floor in a different position.

I don’t understand how the “jump stop” isn’t traveling.

So long as you have completed the dribble while in the air (assuming you're running as you dribble)--meaning grabbed the ball--you can land with both feet. If you grab the ball (stop dribbling) and then leave the ground to jump stop, it's whistle time.

So long as you have completed the dribble while in the air (assuming you're running as you dribble)--meaning grabbed the ball--you can land with both feet. If you grab the ball (stop dribbling) and then leave the ground to jump stop, it's whistle time.
Yes...but I see players land then take another hop, but traveling is not called.

Yes...but I see players land then take another hop, but traveling is not called.

That should be called. After you do the legal jump-stop, you can move ONE foot with the other being the established pivot foot. Anything else should be called.

This particular example is TRAVELING. In this example, the pivot foot is her right foot. She pivots, clearly plants her left foot, then lifts her right foot, then shoots the ball. The legal move requires a jump from two planted feet. She would not be the first player to do this sloppily and get away with it.

This particular example is TRAVELING. In this example, the pivot foot is her right foot. She pivots, clearly plants her left foot, then lifts her right foot, then shoots the ball. The legal move requires a jump from two planted feet. She would not be the first player to do this sloppily and get away with it.
well, i can see why the opposing team stands up and signals traveling with their arms

Really?

THIS is what some people pick on out of the countless "is this traveling" plays out there in the world of basketball?

This is why I don't do Twitter.....Because I would build a device that would allow me to teleport through the e-waves and the computer screen to wherever the people are that post these things, and just slap the sh** out of them with a fake 3D-printed hand that I put padding stuffed with metal on, and they would deserve it.

That is not traveling and Mr. Dull is an idiot.

People who do not understand how a step-through move works should probably learn a bit more about the game before they decide to watch it again.
I personally don't get a vibe that dull is calling that traveling, moreso that Gustafson is the player young girls need to watch to learn efficient footwork

Sigh.....

giphy.gif

yes, that is correct

she has to put the shot up after the step or its a travel
Why can’t you drop a pass to a teammate at that point too? What makes that a travel as opposed to shooting after lifting the pivot foot. It all looks like traveling to me.
That's because it is traveling. Her pivot foot is her right foot. You must dribble to be allowed to do what she is doing.

From the NCAA rulebook:

Art. 5. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot: a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

From the NCAA rulebook:

Art. 5. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot: a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Technically it is travelling. But not called much in the womens game, and rarely called in the mens game.

Technically it is travelling. But not called much in the womens game, and rarely called in the mens game.
No. See the rule quoted. Megan's pivot foot does not come back down to touch the floor until after she releases the shot.

I swear I've seen Basabe called for that exact same stuff countless times. Oh well, rule does state that about the pivot foot. When I think in terms of going up for a lay-up or the Euro step, that rule applies. By rule, not a travel. Still looks like one, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT