ADVERTISEMENT

Run&Blade Insight Thread

In that scenario, they paid back the principal. You know, what the education cost. They paid for it. Where they are getting shafted is on the interest.

Why can Joe Six Pack buy a $80,000 King Ranch truck at 0% APR? Why can’t student loans be the same?
Need to charge at least enough to cover the costs to manage the loan. I don’t think they need to charge anymore than that.

My understanding is private for profit colleges is a big part of student loan debt. Colleges should have some skin in the game. Maybe they shouldn’t prey on students like they do. Many shuffle loan paper work at students like it’s no big deal. Put them on the hook for 1/2 and see if they are so giving.

Need to charge at least enough to cover the costs to manage the loan. I don’t think they need to charge anymore than that.

My understanding is private for profit colleges is a big part of student loan debt. Colleges should have some skin in the game. Maybe they shouldn’t prey on students like they do. Many shuffle loan paper work at students like it’s no big deal. Put them on the hook for 1/2 and see if they are so giving.

Are you getting there? So an interesting perspective to consider is a well educated population is in the interest of national security as we are battling a global economy.

Reactions: Tom Paris
So, on one hand, we could invest in our own citizens with government serviced interest free loans (without a bullshit middleman servicing company). As a result, young adults have more dispensable income to spend, invest, buy a home, and do things that help grow our economy.

On the other hand, we could cripple students with loan debt/interest, blame them for picking a “stupid major”, and allow a very small subset of our population to profit off of it.

So, on one hand, we could invest in our own citizens with government serviced interest free loans (without a bullshit middleman servicing company). As a result, young adults have more dispensable income to spend, invest, buy a home, and do things that help grow our economy.

On the other hand, we could cripple students with loan debt/interest, blame them for picking a “stupid major”, and allow a very small subset of our population to profit off of it.
A cool name for your first paragraph idea could be "Infrastructure Week".

Reactions: claykenny
Yet Krause thought he was the reason they were good. Coach K is why Duke is Duke. Garza is why Iowa is Iowa. See the difference ?

Actually, I like Iowa's forecast post Garza. They are still sitting on Weiskamp, CMac, PMac, CJ, JT, Keegan Murray, and Nunge especially if he adds 10 lbs. Plus post top 3 recruiting power. On top of Iowa being run and gun and a fun team to watch. It's not like Iowa is settling back down to lick years after Garza leaves.

Reactions: Rudolph
Actually, I like Iowa's forecast post Garza. They are still sitting on Weiskamp, CMac, PMac, CJ, JT, Keegan Murray, and Nunge especially if he adds 10 lbs. Plus post top 3 recruiting power. On top of Iowa being run and gun and a fun team to watch. It's not like Iowa is settling back down to lick years after Garza leaves.
But when Garza leaves Iowa won't be Iowa anymore so these players will be like some other team thing that does sport well maybe.

So, in your opinion, paying back 200% of your loan is justified to “service” the loan? What about 150%? 125%?

Again, how can I walk down to the Ford dealership and finance an $80,000 King Ranch truck for 0% APR and a few thousand down but a kid gets to pay back $120,000 on an $80,000 for an education that, generally speaking, benefits all of society, the economy, and so forth?

Who is servicing that auto loan and why is that so cheap to service versus a student loan?

Can we go back to this concept that good teams have good players?

Maybe that's what been the Lions problem for 65 years. They haven't figured this out

Reactions: Moral

It seems like people on the right enjoy picking Door #2...helping the "very small subset" to profit and everyone else can suffer through. I'm saying this as somebody who finished paying off $50,000 (not counting the interest) in student loans back in May...at age 51. Money I could have spent elsewhere if I didn't have to pay the interest.

Reactions: Moral
So, in your opinion, paying back 200% of your loan is justified to “service” the loan? What about 150%? 125%?

Again, how can I walk down to the Ford dealership and finance an $80,000 King Ranch truck for 0% APR and a few thousand down but a kid gets to pay back $120,000 on an $80,000 for an education that, generally speaking, benefits all of society, the economy, and so forth?

Who is servicing that auto loan and why is that so cheap to service versus a student loan?

Pretty sure the automakers themselves are servicing those 0% APR loans (as an incentive to buy their vehicle rather than a competitor's).

But I'm in complete agreement with you on student loans. At most, they should be capped at a ~3% interest rate.

Coach K is why Duke is Duke. Garza is why Iowa is Iowa. See the difference ?

Coach K used to be good,.. Duke is Duke because, like traffic impacted by a highway accident that happened three hours ago, recruits continue to slow down and gawk but the original reason for doing so is long since gone...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT