ADVERTISEMENT

Running back rhythm

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Why does Iowa use 3 or 4 rb's a game? It seems to me that other programs usually use 2 backs per game. It gives them a chance to find some rhythm. I just don't understand what the heck Iowa does with it's rb's. It seems like Kirk and company just roll the dice hoping for someone to have a big run or two. But even doing that, they are taken out of the game and don't see much playing time after that. It would be interesting to see the rb breakdown of carries and yards per game for each back that saw some game time. All that being said, if I'm an rb at Iowa, I would think deeply about transferring.

Reactions: Bones Malone
Why was Patterson not being used and the two freshmen backs we have barely used all year playing, especially when we were in the red zone? They didn’t do bad, but why are they playing?

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Why was Patterson not being used and the two freshmen backs we have barely used all year playing, especially when we were in the red zone? They didn’t do bad, but why are they playing
We all know the answer.. That’s BF idea of creativity and to confuse the defense.

Why was Patterson not being used and the two freshmen backs we have barely used all year playing, especially when we were in the red zone? They didn’t do bad, but why are they playing?
Pretty sure the two freshman have been injured.

It was strange seeing guys who I forgot were on the roster… agree - no rhythm … of course … our entire offense needs to be blown up …

Prolly getting them some PT since he knows what the other guys bring… We certainly couldn’t do that with a QB, right?

• Sad
Reactions: hawkandroll
no one understand the offensive system

It’s complicated
Studying Matt Damon GIF by MIRAMAX

Johnson said something at the end of the season last year about there is no other place he wants to be. I would be rethinking my options going forward.

where would these guys transfer? Do they want to head to a Mac program? Look at Arlen Harris Jr. Dude had a huge offer list and ended up at ISU after leaving Stanford.

where would these guys transfer? Do they want to head to a Mac program? Look at Arlen Harris Jr. Dude had a huge offer list and ended up at ISU after leaving Stanford.
Exactly. A lot of these guys forget there’s 4 and 5 star talent every year and wonder where all the recruiters went that were licking their boots a year or two earlier.

None of them break tackles or have even decent vision. Johnson can take it to the house if the play is blocked perfectly.
Why they use Patterson on third down is beyond me.
No swing passes or wheels. Just embarrassing.
Line them up 8-9 yards deep.
Brian brought in Moulton inside the five yard line and he lined up 9 yards deep. The backside d end ate a snack and still tackled him.

We play 9 vs 11 on offense. A lot like to bag on the oline, they are the ones picking up the extra 2 or 3 because Brian doesn’t know how to help them.

Why does Iowa use 3 or 4 rb's a game? It seems to me that other programs usually use 2 backs per game. It gives them a chance to find some rhythm. I just don't understand what the heck Iowa does with it's rb's. It seems like Kirk and company just roll the dice hoping for someone to have a big run or two. But even doing that, they are taken out of the game and don't see much playing time after that. It would be interesting to see the rb breakdown of carries and yards per game for each back that saw some game time. All that being said, if I'm an rb at Iowa, I would think deeply about transferring.
That's what happens when you have an OC who doesn't know what they are doing. I thought all season we misused them most of the time.

Great thread topic. I’ve never understood playing more the two backs or bringing a RB out of a game after a good run. No player wants to leave the field once finding their groove regardless of position but especially RB.

Also, a RB’s rhythm goes hand in hand with that of the O-line. So, IMO keep the shuffling in/out to a minimum…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT