ADVERTISEMENT

Russia suspended from U.N. Human Rights Council amid global outrage over Ukraine

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The U.N. General Assembly voted Thursday to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council amid mounting concerns that Moscow’s troops are committing grave war crimes in Ukraine.
The vote came as global outrage over the killings of civilians in the Kyiv suburb of Bucha intensified. Bodies were found strewn in the streets — and in some cases showed signs of torture — after Russian troops retreated.

Germany’s foreign intelligence service claims to have intercepted radio communications in which Russian soldiers discuss indiscriminate killings in Ukraine. In two communications, Russian troops described how they question soldiers as well as civilians, and proceed to shoot them, according to an intelligence official familiar with the findings who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity.
World leaders have responded with tougher sanctions and promises to send Ukraine more weapons — measures that Ukrainian officials have welcomed but say aren’t enough to help prevent future atrocities.
Thousands of people are fleeing eastern Ukraine, bracing for an intensified Russian assault in the eastern part of the country.

Global outrage?

The countries that voted against or abstained make up over half of the worlds population.....

Some notables that kind of surprised me aside from the usual suspects...

Mexico
Brazil
Thailand
South Africa

Reactions: cigaretteman
From another article. How Trumpian is this statement? “You didn’t dump me cause I dumped you first!”

The Deputy Russian Ambassador to the United Nations Gennady Kuzmin said Russia considers the resolution adopted by the General Assembly on the suspension of its membership in the Human Rights Council “an illegitimate and politically motivated step." Kuzmin also claimed it is Russia that decided to end or suspend its membership in the council before the end of its term on the Thursday.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Aren't there frequently nations with unsavory human rights records on the HR Council?

Are only nations who are good on HR allowed?

Have we ever been kicked off?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT