ADVERTISEMENT

Russian's conditions for cease fire and truce...

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
In an interview with Reuters on Monday, Peskov said Moscow could "end war immediately" if Ukraine agreed to sign a neutrality agreement that would bar it from entering NATO, recognized Crimea as Russian, recognized the regions of Luhansk and Donetsk as independent, and ceased all military action.

That's tough for Ukraine to do, but they don't have a lot of options. Further, Russia may not withdraw even after agreeing.

In an interview with Reuters on Monday, Peskov said Moscow could "end war immediately" if Ukraine agreed to sign a neutrality agreement that would bar it from entering NATO, recognized Crimea as Russian, recognized the regions of Luhansk and Donetsk as independent, and ceased all military action.
This was the ask before the war, but instead of Luhansk and Donetsk as independent buffers, Putin sought to keep them in a 'federated' Ukraine, to act a veto bloc.

When people seemed flummoxed by the notion of guaranteed neutrality, I think Cold War Austria is the kind of model the Russians were hoping for.

With the Russians looking like they can't get these demands on the battlefield, I don't know how they hope to get them at the negotiating table.

He thought he'd be offering to hand Ukraine back, but he hasn't managed to take it yet.
He can wreck it without taking it. Which sadly looks like where we're headed.

Ukraine came to the table saying get out of Crimea and the previously shielded areas of Luhansk and Donetsk.

I don't think Russia ever cedes Crimea willingly.
This could go 'never ending' like the Korean War.

Screw that, the Russians won't even abide by the ceasefire rules. Let them continue to weaken until they come back with a real offer.
Easy to say that when you aren't getting shelled. There is a lot of honor with the Ukrainians, but Zelensky wants to do what is best for his people. Friggin' impossible situation thanks to a madman who should be prosecuted at The Hague.

Easy to say that when you aren't getting shelled. There is a lot of honor with the Ukrainians, but Zelensky wants to do what is best for his people. Friggin' impossible situation thanks to a madman who should be prosecuted at The Hague.
Jimmy Carter is probably the only president we've had that didn't knowingly and willfully violate the UN charter, isn't he?

I have no idea what Ukraine is supposed to do. If they do agree to this, the current sanctions should stay in place forever.

FNE4M5PX0AEJY3S

Reactions: Urohawk
I have no idea what Ukraine is supposed to do. If they do agree to this, the current sanctions should stay in place forever.

FNE4M5PX0AEJY3S
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. It would be very difficult for the EU to find a replacement for Russian LNG and oil, at least in the near-term.

The fact (or appearance) of Russia bringing said terms to Ukraine means one of two things:
  1. Russia/Putin has no intent of abiding by them if agreed upon.
  2. Russia/Putin knows it’s losing and is gonna lose so they want to try and save face.

The fact (or appearance) of Russia bringing said terms to Ukraine means one of two things:
  2. Russia/Putin knows it’s losing and is gonna lose so they want to try and save face.
Russia isn't losing. They are suffering casualties (probably more than expected) but they are on the path to leveling cities. It's a numbers game at this time.

Reactions: globalhawk
Russia isn't losing. They are suffering casualties (probably more than expected) but they are on the path to leveling cities. It's a numbers game at this time.
I think we can give away missiles faster than they can build tanks and planes.

This will be Putin's Verdun if he doesn't figure out how to climb down.

They’re trying to split the alliance as well.

I think we can give away missiles faster than they can build tanks and planes.

This will be Putin's Verdun if he doesn't figure out how to climb down.
Your lips to God's ears. But I think he is all in and will continue to indiscriminately shell urban centers. There will be guerilla warfare, but the numbers are on Russia's side.

Your lips to God's ears. But I think he is all in and will continue to indiscriminately shell urban centers. There will be guerilla warfare, but the numbers are on Russia's side.
Nope. The worm is turning. Putin can’t get his troops in Kiev if their vehicles are shot to hell. Further, it’s starting to appear as though Ukrainian air defenses are getting stronger, for some strange reason 😎.

He's going to be facing a fierce and well armed insurgency.

We were pissed the Iranians were giving explosively formed penetrators (shaped charge IEDs) to their sympathetic militias in Iraq.

Imagine is Russia had been straight up handing their best ATGMs and MANPADs to the insurgency? Our losses would have been a lot worse.

I can't even picture what the sort-of face saving outcome is for Putin here.
The Ukrainians went into the first ceasefire talks with their own demands, and neither side is talking about a simple return to ante-bellum 2021.

1. Russia is not now, nor is there any chance that they'll lose this conflict.
  2. Ukraine is in this position because their puppet government kept poking Russia, at the behest of their U.S. overlords, until Russia could no longer tolerate the situation.

2. Ukraine is in this position because their puppet government kept poking Russia, at the behest of their U.S. overlords, until Russia could no longer tolerate the situation.

Wut?

Ok Vlad

Piss in your cereal.

Don't blame me that you bought into the propaganda and didn't bother to research what was really happening for yourself.
your russkie brothers are gonna bleed out in this event. Russian aircraft haven’t been shot down at this rate since WW2.
rubles are worthless, pootins brother is offering a bounty on his head, you can’t imprison all of the protesters, the world turns a back to your murderous government.
pi$$ off

Another interesting quote from a top EU official, Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, in Der Spiegel magazine:

DER SPIEGEL: What might a solution look like?

Borrell: It is too early to tell. Only one thing is certain: We cannot and will not sacrifice Ukraine.

This is after the head of the EU delegation to the European Parliament flatly said a few days ago that their goal was "the fall of Putin," and that they wouldn't be able to work with him again.

There's no going back to "status quo" for Russia after this.

Reactions: billanole
your russkie brothers are gonna bleed out in this event. Russian aircraft haven’t been shot down at this rate since WW2.
rubles are worthless, pootins brother is offering a bounty on his head, you can’t imprison all of the protesters, the world turns a back to your murderous government.
pi$$ off
You guys are like the blind leading the blind.

Whatever the outcome of this unprovoked Russian invasion, the ICC needs to bring war crimes' charges against Putin. His attacks on civilians, his almost catastrophic bombing of a nuclear power plant, and his continued use of cluster bombs in civilian areas all qualify as legitimate war crimes. War reparations are also in order for the destruction of the Ukrainian infrastructure and private property along with the cost incurred for the displacement of huge numbers of refugees.

This war will be over within a week, whether officially or unofficially. Russia continues to take major losses, doesn’t have resources food or fuel now have lost coms. They are screwed. they Have already used their main bombs, at this point they have slightly more manpower and that’s it. Drones and air superiority are going to end this shortly.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT