ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers beat UWash; did anybody watch and have a report

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
The BTN folks said Wash had a lot of penalties and mistakes and flying three timezones, although it was a night game, might add to that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

But maybe Wash is an avg team as they lost the Apple Cup bowl I think it is called and they havent been scoring a ton of points.

The Wash qb threw for about 300 yards.

I hope the hawks are still in the race by the time we play Wash as maybe they can handle the westerners.

The BTN folks said Wash had a lot of penalties and mistakes and flying three timezones, although it was a night game, might add to that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

But maybe Wash is an avg team as they lost the Apple Cup bowl I think it is called and they havent been scoring a ton of points.

The Wash qb threw for about 300 yards.

I hope the hawks are still in the race by the time we play Wash as maybe they can handle the westerners.
Of course I watched it - Washington didn’t look very good but Rutgers sure did as that’s going to be a tough game for Iowa but I know the Hawks will come out on top - Rutgers will do the usual fade as they start hot and fizzle later - Washington just isn’t that good this year too many players lost from last years team

Of course I watched it - Washington didn’t look very good but Rutgers sure did as that’s going to be a tough game for Iowa but I know the Hawks will come out on top - Rutgers will do the usual fade as they start hot and fizzle later - Washington just isn’t that good this year too many players lost from last years team
I heard that statistically yardage-wise Wash should have won but Wash also had 4 bad penalties, missed 3 FGs (wow it is great how Iowa has had some great FG kickers), and one Wash penalty turned a block of a rutgers FG to a 1st down rutgers and a rutgers TD pass on the next play. That will get you beat.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I heard that statistically yardage-wise Wash should have won but Wash also had 4 bad penalties, missed 3 FGs (wow it is great how Iowa has had some great FG kickers), and one Wash penalty turned a block of a rutgers FG to a 1st down rutgers and a rutgers TD pass on the next play. That will get you beat.
Washington would have been in the game if not for their mistakes. Rutgers was good but not as impressive as I expected. Washington's FG kicker was terrible.

Wash outplayed RU..should have won but made too many mistakes.
Looked like a team that flew 3000 miles east for game.
Rogers, QB, is as good as any QB we will face all year..stud.
Coleman, rb, is outstanding( think Richard bass ..ie..rolling ball of butcher knives).
Steve Belichek, WASH d- coordinator, has them playing well.

Glad that wash faces Mich next week before flying east for our game. They are better than I expected with all the turnover.

Any given Saturday in BIG.

I watched it. My takeaways:

-Overall, Washington played undisciplined, inconsistently and spotty, in all three phases: sometimes they looked good, sometimes great, sometimes terrible. It was a clear contrast to Rutgers, who looked disciplined, in control, and consistentthrough most of the game; Rutgers looked sorta like Ferentz ball at its best, but with an offense that has a pulse.

-Washington really needs to reexamine their kicker situation. I feel sorry for the young man who missed the field goals, but that performance is probably going to cost him his starting position. These coaches are paid too much to pit up with that many misses in a road game.

-Washington's D looks like they are still working on understanding their assignments. They got better as the game went on, I thought.

-Washington's QB looks legit. The guy has a strong arm, throws a tight ball with zip, makes good reads, and looks like he can handle pressure. If he’d had more time, he probably would have gotten them a TD on that last drive at the end.

-I thought Washington's offensive playcaller (Fisch???) called the right plays on that final drive and managed the clock well. It looked like the players were well prepared, like they drill those scenarios in practice.

-Jedd Fisch is weird. Something just feels off about the guy, like he doesn't project confidence on the sidelines. He always has this "I'm freaked out right now" look on his face. Think Mr. Furley from Three's Company.
043a899eb807dcc9dae1460bfc4d53e7.gif

Side note: something felt off with this officiating crew. Maybe they're all old and this game ran too late at night. That slow roll call for illegal substitution on the blocked field goal (in the first half) that gave Rutgers a do-over was very strange.

Rutgers looked pretty good but Washington lost that game with mental errors and penalties as well as 3 missed field goals. Washington still has a pretty good team and certainly that will be a tough game. Rutgers did have success running the football so hopefully we can as well. Go Hawks !

I was there. Washington should have won by double digits. They were more undisciplined than any Nebraska team of the last ten years. Killer penalty on their first drive took away what was looking like a touchdown to open the game. Get the ball down to the Rutgers 1 or 2 and throw twice on third and fourth downs into the endzone. If they play disciplined they will be tough to beat. I’d put Iowa as 3 to 4 point favorite at home. Anybody know what happened on the blocked field goal, it was so loud I couldn’t follow what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkdave007
Washington basically dominated the game and lost, essentially, because it doesn't have a FG kicker. How is that possible for a team with Washington's recent success. Most good high school kickers would have hit at least ONE of the three, and that's all Washington needed for the win. Instead, they sent the SAME guy who had already missed two chip shots to try the game winner, and they got the same result. You mean there's NOBODY else on that roster that can kick? Wow.

Did not watch but am inclined to think from reading posts two mediocre teams clutching at defeat from the jaws of victory.

I was there. Washington should have won by double digits. They were more undisciplined than any Nebraska team of the last ten years. Killer penalty on their first drive took away what was looking like a touchdown to open the game. Get the ball down to the Rutgers 1 or 2 and throw twice on third and fourth downs into the endzone. If they play disciplined they will be tough to beat. I’d put Iowa as 3 to 4 point favorite at home. Anybody know what happened on the blocked field goal, it was so loud I couldn’t follow what happened.
Supposedly Washington made an illegal/late substitution on that play, but even the announcers couldn't make sense of it when looking at the replay.

Any specific thoughts for us on Washington's QB?

Rutgers pass D was very average at times but Wash had some big penaltys that killed them and their kicker had a rough day

Not same game myself, or others watched.

Supposedly Washington made an illegal/late substitution on that play, but even the announcers couldn't make sense of it when looking at the replay.

Any specific thoughts for us on Washington's QB?
Start at approx 1:10 of this clip to see it. #27 was on the sidelines and was not one of the 11 Huskies on the field when the play started. He then ran onto the field to celebrate(?) the blocked kick while the ball was still loose.

Reactions: hawkdave007
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT