ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Beat Writer's Impressions on Kinnick, the Wave & more

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The Newark, New Jersey based "The Star-Ledger" is the largest circulated newspaper in the state of New Jersey.

This is what they had to say:

KINNICK, HERKY AND A TRADITION THAT LIVES UP TO THE HYPE

A few off-the-field observations from the Scarlet Knights’ first trip to Kinnick Stadium:

a. Rutgers has now traveled to every Big Ten campus other than Northwestern -- circle Nov. 13, 2021, to finally check off Evanston, Ill. -- and, for this well-traveled scribe, Iowa slides near the top. Kinnick Stadium is nestled at the edge of campus, and its top-notch football facilities are open to the public an hour before kickoff.

b. I’d still rank them like this: 1. Nebraska. 2. Ann Arbor. 3. Columbus. But Iowa might be in the mix for the fourth slot.

c. And then, of course, there is “The Wave.” All 69,000 fans in Kinnick turn toward the Children’s Hospital, an eight-story building that rises up on the opposite side of the press box, and wave to the kids watching from behind the windows inside. The tradition has gotten a lot of attention lately, but it really does live up to the hype. Even the Rutgers players turned and joined in.

Oh, and as soon as The Wave was over, Iowa fans -- furious about a non-call on a third-and-long play that appeared to be pass interference on Rutgers -- resumed booing the referees. Outstanding.

d. This happened on the drive from Cedar Rapids:

e. The Iowa media has a sharp wit, especially longtime Cedar Rapids columnist Mike Hlas. His column on Iowa’s spot in the college football pecking order -- and, by extension, Rutgers’ -- is a good read. Remember when Rutgers fans were tired of going 8-4 every year?

f. Here’s something you don’t see in Piscataway: Fans tailgating around a corn harvester equipped with flat-screen TVs.

FOKXFHIO3BCYJEG3OYUWEZTP2I.jpeg

g. With the Iowa Caucuses fast approaching, at least one candidate -- Pete Buttigieg -- had volunteers canvassing outside the stadium. Can we start the Korsak 2020 movement?

h. Two days in Iowa and I couldn’t get a definitive answer to this question: Is Herky smiling? Or is he angry? Or maybe both? (This Herky greets visitors to Cedar Rapids airport. Imagine a Scarlet Knight at EWR. )

HFNRBZ47QVGFLHE6WKOXF6JHW4.jpeg

LINK: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ess-again-in-iowa-politis-5-observations.html

Last edited:

A few off-the-field observations from the Scarlet Knights’ first trip to Kinnick Stadium:

a. Rutgers has now traveled to every Big Ten campus other than Northwestern -- circle Nov. 13, 2021, to finally check off Evanston, Ill. -- and, for this well-traveled scribe, Iowa slides near the top. Kinnick Stadium is nestled at the edge of campus, and its top-notch football facilities are open to the public an hour before kickoff.

b. I’d still rank them like this: 1. Nebraska. 2. Ann Arbor. 3. Columbus. But Iowa might be in the mix for the fourth slot.

c. And then, of course, there is “The Wave.” All 69,000 fans in Kinnick turn toward the Children’s Hospital, an eight-story building that rises up on the opposite side of the press box, and wave to the kids watching from behind the windows inside. The tradition has gotten a lot of attention lately, but it really does live up to the hype. Even the Rutgers players turned and joined in.

Oh, and as soon as The Wave was over, Iowa fans -- furious about a non-call on a third-and-long play that appeared to be pass interference on Rutgers -- resumed booing the referees. Outstanding.

e. The Iowa media has a sharp wit, especially longtime Cedar Rapids columnist Mike Hlas. His column on Iowa’s spot in the college football pecking order -- and, by extension, Rutgers’ -- is a good read. Remember when Rutgers fans were tired of going 8-4 every year?

f. Here’s something you don’t see in Piscataway: Fans tailgating around a corn harvester equipped with flat-screen TVs.

g. With the Iowa Caucuses fast approaching, at least one candidate -- Pete Buttigieg -- had volunteers canvassing outside the stadium. Can we start the Korsak 2020 movement?

h. Two days in Iowa and I couldn’t get a definitive answer to this question: Is Herky smiling? Or is he angry? Or maybe both? (This Herky greets visitors to Cedar Rapids airport. Imagine a Scarlet Knight at EWR. )

LINK: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ess-again-in-iowa-politis-5-observations.html

Thanks, good read. And the linked Hlas column is a gem, imo.

60,000 plus fans see the pass interference yet the zebra guys on the field don’t? That’s why the boos rain down when a receiver basically gets tackled and no call.

I know. I’m questioning why that poster thinks the booing is indicative of the “sad truth” of where we are as a country- doesn’t make much sense to me.

I have to question this writer's opinion...not sure why he would have Nebraska ranked #1 in game day experience? Their tailgating pales in comparison to Iowa's. Iowa has many other game day advantages over Nebby, including how close the fans are to the field compared to Nebby, etc.

I have to question this writer's opinion...not sure why he would have Nebraska ranked #1 in game day experience? Their tailgating pales in comparison to Iowa's. Iowa has many other game day advantages over Nebby, including how close the fans are to the field compared to Nebby, etc.

Was just about to post the same thing. Not sure how seriously I can take his opinions after putting Nebraska in the top spot.

The UN fans are conspicuously absent today so I will try to represent.

Their fans are really nice when you meet them in person, especially in Lincoln. The Cornholer fans who have access to this internet thing and post here, not so much.

The sea of red is impressive, and they are loyal to the extreme of being brainwashed.

They release a lot of balloons at the start of a game. That seems to be a big thing.

They are warm-hearted and caring enough to give criminal football players and accused criminal football players a second chance, third chance, fourth chance- if they are good football players. Otherwise they boot them.

They are an ag school so you can probably get good beef and, as their name suggests, sweet corn there.

It's on I-80, convenient for motorists.

That's all I've got.

Nebraska fans in Lincoln are so nice. It's unbelievable the difference between their trash internet fanbase, and the people who actually attend the games. That definitely factors into my stadium rankings.

Worst fan experience I've had, by far, was in Madison - they threw rocks and beer cans at us while we walked to the stadium, and then after the game, a group of drunk douche-bags tried to fight us (we had 3 elementary school-age children with us, too). Best is a tie between Kinnick, obviously, and Lincoln.

As a hawkeye fan living in Lincoln, I'd love to rip on the game day experience at UNL, but I can't. They do it right (at least in the stadium, can't say anything about tailgating).

As a hawkeye fan living in Lincoln, I'd love to rip on the game day experience at UNL, but I can't. They do it right (at least in the stadium, can't say anything about tailgating).

I seem to recall a UN poster stating that most fans prefer the bars before and after a game, so tailgating isn't as important there. Nothing wrong about that, different fan bases do things differently.

If I may, I've traveled to tOSU,psu,Michigan, Nebraska and now Iowa as well as to Arkansas. Arkansas is my #1 experience and, until this weekend, Nebraska was my #2 over all and #1 in the B1G. Iowa blows Nebraska out of the water. You are right, Nebraska does not know what tailgating is(they set their tailgates up on the sidewalk along side buildings and in a gas station...because open flames of a grill next to a gas pump is not dangerous at all), but the people were nicer than nice and their downtown bar scene is pretty great with the Haymarket area. I hated Michigan...my worst away game experience and was disappointed in tOSU.

We had a blast in Iowa City from the moment we landed Thursday morning. Iowa football fans were nice as could be, the weather was spectacular and the tailgating was great. Inside the stadium was more of the same and it was special to be part of the wave (twice if you count the halftime wave that was done). I had the opportunity to take a private tour of the hospital including up to the area where the kids all sit when they watch the game. What a gorgeous hospital!

Having grown up in NYC and lived in Manhattan for many years I would not have known what a combine was before my last trip to Nebraska...where my husband and I visited a couple we met on our first trip out there and he let us drive the combine and the tractor. The Green Acres song was playing through my head as we did it. I did get to see the Iowa combine tailgate vehicle and thought it was fantastic.

I said this in another thread, I loathe Steve Politi, the author of that article. He's a jerk and a UNC alum who most Rutgers fans hate.

thanks again for a great time Iowa.

I haven't been yet but I've heard this exact same thing unanimously from the Iowa fans who have been there.

Reactions: no_one_
yeah, rankings are very subjective

who knows if he even went & checked out the tail gating, etc

If I may, I've traveled to tOSU,psu,Michigan, Nebraska and now Iowa as well as to Arkansas. Arkansas is my #1 experience and, until this weekend, Nebraska was my #2 over all and #1 in the B1G. Iowa blows Nebraska out of the water. You are right, Nebraska does not know what tailgating is(they set their tailgates up on the sidewalk along side buildings and in a gas station...because open flames of a grill next to a gas pump is not dangerous at all), but the people were nicer than nice and their downtown bar scene is pretty great with the Haymarket area. I hated Michigan...my worst away game experience and was disappointed in tOSU.

We had a blast in Iowa City from the moment we landed Thursday morning. Iowa football fans were nice as could be, the weather was spectacular and the tailgating was great. Inside the stadium was more of the same and it was special to be part of the wave (twice if you count the halftime wave that was done). I had the opportunity to take a private tour of the hospital including up to the area where the kids all sit when they watch the game. What a gorgeous hospital!

Having grown up in NYC and lived in Manhattan for many years I would not have known what a combine was before my last trip to Nebraska...where my husband and I visited a couple we met on our first trip out there and he let us drive the combine and the tractor. The Green Acres song was playing through my head as we did it. I did get to see the Iowa combine tailgate vehicle and thought it was fantastic.

I said this in another thread, I loathe Steve Politi, the author of that article. He's a jerk and a UNC alum who most Rutgers fans hate.

thanks again for a great time Iowa.
thanks for your contributions, @MrsScrew

The booing that followed the Wave is a sad truth of where we are as a country these days.
Note that the author seemed to be impressed & wrote this:

As an Iowa fan living in Omaha and growing up in CB it truly astounds me and leaves me a little skeptical when people say that Nebraska fans are so nice. Because I have just never had that experience. Like ever. As soon as they hear I am from Iowa and an Iowa fan it is like I spit on their grandmother. They are condescending, nasty people. They must import people to attend the games to give people the impression they are decent people. It's the only way I can reconcile it in my brain.

So they should rebrand themselves as THE NEW JERSEY STATE SCARLET KNIGHTS? ;)

@MrsScrew , what do you think? :)

I'm neutral on the subject.. I do like the sound of that though. There are a lot of people who want to push to add NJ into either the name or the logo

For what it's worth Politi and his brethren do walk around and check out the tailgates when they travel.

Can you explain to me how your parking passes work? At RU you get a pass which entitles you to a parking spot in any of the lots but the spot must have a vehicle in it and you set up behind your vehicle. . Walking around I saw people with tents over 8 spots.. But didn't see a car anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterHawk
Nebraska fans in Lincoln are so nice. It's unbelievable the difference between their trash internet fanbase, and the people who actually attend the games. That definitely factors into my stadium rankings.

Worst fan experience I've had, by far, was in Madison - they threw rocks and beer cans at us while we walked to the stadium, and then after the game, a group of drunk douche-bags tried to fight us (we had 3 elementary school-age children with us, too). Best is a tie between Kinnick, obviously, and Lincoln.

I can relate and agree to most of what you said, but Penn State tops the overall visitor stadium experience for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT