ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers & Mich State the latest to make news: Players Quarantined & Players/staff Testing Positive

Just guessing but I would say yes. It just was never called that. You really think a coach would want a player that has the flu around the rest of the team?

or an obese / coach maybe older in age with health condition might want to know also.

There is zero reason to test these players and especially if they are asymptomatic. Do players with the flu have to be quarantined?

What do you mean? If they are asymptomatic and were potentially exposed, they could still have Covid, which would be a reason to test.

Reactions: squeezebox
They are better of having the whole damn team get it now and get over it if there are even any symptoms to get over and then less to think about when fall practice starts.

While that seems extreme, perhaps it's not entirely crazy. However, no program is going to willingly expose their players to this virus. The potential liability alone would be staggering. And we're also assuming that contracting the virus would confer immunity to later exposures and I don't think that's been confirmed, it's only assumed.

Reactions: greenpeach
20+ Hawk team members are now in quarantine.
Ponder that.
Wake up and start wearing masks..it is EASY!
I was going to say it's kind of interesting how open some schools like Texas are about how many players have tested positive and exactly how many are in quarantine whereas others like Iowa are just reporting total number of positive tests among all sports combined and that includes student-athletes, coaches, and staff. Not that we really need to know right now of course, but projecting this out to the fall people would freak out if they knew an entire position group was quarantined.

They are better of having the whole damn team get it now and get over it if there are even any symptoms to get over and then less to think about when fall practice starts.
No, they are not. I know a big chunk of people getting it never have symptoms and only a small number will die from it (in this age bracket). But, there is a not-insignificant chunk of young and healthy people who survive, but have long lasting symptoms including significantly decreased lung capacity that may be permanent.

I was going to say it's kind of interesting how open some schools like Texas are about how many players have tested positive and exactly how many are in quarantine whereas others like Iowa are just reporting total number of positive tests among all sports combined and that includes student-athletes, coaches, and staff. Not that we really need to know right now of course, but projecting this out to the fall people would freak out if they knew an entire position group was quarantined.

Can you confirm any of the numbers? Seems like a pretty big number and not seeing any sources confirming these numbers... Just curious thanks!

Also any news on press conferences or the council/group headed by Mike Daniels? Maybe the next big announcement will be after the Husch Blackwell investigation is complement...

Reactions: cbhawkeye
No, they are not. I know a big chunk of people getting it never have symptoms and only a small number will die from it (in this age bracket). But, there is a not-insignificant chunk of young and healthy people who survive, but have long lasting symptoms including significantly decreased lung capacity that may be permanent.
How can you or even the doctors know there will be long lasting symptoms, since we have only had this thing for 6 months on earth?

How can you or even the doctors know there will be long lasting symptoms, since we have only had this thing for 6 months on earth?
If you burn your hand to a crisp, I can look at that and tell you with full confidence you will have lasting symptoms - no medical training required.

Beyond that, though, I said may. And I said it for a reason. Because we don't know, but doctors can look at it and reason that there is the potential for long-term or even permanent damage.

Reactions: Bee93
If you burn your hand to a crisp, I can look at that and tell you with full confidence you will have lasting symptoms - no medical training required.

Beyond that, though, I said may. And I said it for a reason. Because we don't know, but doctors can look at it and reason that there is the potential for long-term or even permanent damage.
Are contact sports more dangerous when you have Covid? Do we know?

Are contact sports more dangerous when you have Covid? Do we know?
We don't know that, but we know a lot of people have been asymptomatic until they exercised strenuously (I think cardio) and then they had very serious symptoms. So, exercise seems like a possible trigger for more serious symptoms if affected.

But, that's an observation I have seen from health professionals. It's not established fact yet. Very little is.

So do teams need one backup QB to volunteer to live isolated during the season just to make sure we can still have a game? I’m just imagining that if one QB gets it and then we do contact tracing and quarantine everyone he had close contact with, that could be the whole rest of the QB room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT