ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Seton Hall

And1Hawk

HR Heisman
Mar 13, 2015
Rutgers up 43-26. They look much better than they did a couple of years ago. The RAC is a fun environment.

Was this the same Seton Hall team that ISU barely beat at home?

Myles Powell left the game shortly before half, so that is now their 2 best players out...

I see that. At 2:26 left in the first half Rutgers was up 34-15 before Powell left.

Not sure that second best player played at ISU either.

I've watched a good portion of their last 2 games and Rutgers is vastly improved.
Another team in that middle bunch of the B1G that has enough ability to compete for one of the NCAA tourney spots the league will get. Throw the bunch of Iowa-rutgers-penn st-illinois-indiana-purdue together in a six team round robin tournament and you could very well get a different winner if you ran it six times.
Right now the only team in the league that's truly terrible is nebbie, and they gave the hoosiers a scare just this week. minny and nu aren't very good, but they'll still give some better teams fits at least once or twice this season.

Another team in that middle bunch of the B1G that has enough ability to compete for one of the NCAA tourney spots the league will get. Throw the bunch of Iowa-rutgers-penn st-illinois-indiana-purdue together in a six team round robin tournament and you could very well get a different winner if you ran it six times.
Right now the only team in the league that's truly terrible is nebbie, and they gave the hoosiers a scare just this week. minny and nu aren't very good, but they'll still give some better teams fits at least once or twice this season.
Yes this is right. Every single night in the B1G this year will be a dogfight. Any team not playing well is going to lose and that is for sure. It sure makes it fun but nerve wracking.

One preseason college basketball magazine
ranked Seton Hall in the NCAA Sweet 16.

The Rutgers crowd always seems to be super energized. The environment there is awesome, especially when Rutgers has not been very good until this year. Winning @ Rutgers has not been easy, and it will be especially challenging this season. It's true that the Big Ten is a collection of really, really good basketball teams and a couple of excellent ones. We're not sure yet who's who, but it'll be quite a ride as we find out.

Reactions: And1Hawk
The Rutgers crowd always seems to be super energized. The environment there is awesome, especially when Rutgers has not been very good until this year. Winning @ Rutgers has not been easy, and it will be especially challenging this season. It's true that the Big Ten is a collection of really, really good basketball teams and a couple of excellent ones. We're not sure yet who's who, but it'll be quite a ride as we find out.

Their hoops fans are great. I was at the Iowa-Rutgers football game @ High Point a few years ago and the crowd was like an unexcited high school crowd. Completely dead.

Their hoops fans are great. I was at the Iowa-Rutgers football game @ High Point a few years ago and the crowd was like an unexcited high school crowd. Completely dead.
Ash will steal the energy from a baby hyped up on candy. Schiano had exciting crowds during his day. Even "Elm" Flood had high energy crowds.
Here is Rutgers first year in the B1G when the program was surviving off of Schiano players.

Powell was severly concussed in this game. Not sure when but it did not sound good from his coach's post game quotes

Rutgers looks to be improved but dang....I'd be more impressed with Pikiell and his Rutger's team or any other B1G team and as I am impressed with Iowa who has 2 true road wins in hostile arenas. Like what Oregon did today in Ann Arbor.....that was an impressive W.

And I will be more impressed with Michigan when they beat a quality team in a true road game.....so far they haven't done this and not too many Big teams have yet...Iowa has - Cuse by 14 and ISU by 16....that's impressive folks because you have to beat officiating too. That's a huge true road game risk....
Schedules to date matter...check em out.

Rutgers road games...

12/03/19 at Pittsburgh L 60-71
12/08/19 at Michigan State L 65-77

Reactions: JesusIsKing
Powell was severly concussed in this game. Not sure when but it did not sound good from his coach's post game quotes

Nice try to pass off this game with ‘missing’ Powell and to give ISU an excuse. He made a jumper with 7 minutes to go in the first to make it 28-9 Rutgers. They were down 12-0 in the first 5 minutes. Rutgers dominated this team with Powell playing pre-concussion.

Nice try to pass off this game with ‘missing’ Powell and to give ISU an excuse. He made a jumper with 7 minutes to go in the first to make it 28-9 Rutgers. They were down 12-0 in the first 5 minutes. Rutgers dominated this team with Powell playing pre-concussion.

When your best win loses by 20 at the RAC, you need to try something.

Rutgers is probably a bubble team this year though. B1G is going to be a grind...best conference in the country.

Not an excuse. Rutgers blew them out of the water right out of the gate. I do not know when the concussion happened but it did not sound good reading the coach's quotes. Powell played 15 minutes.

Rutgers looks to be improved but dang....I'd be more impressed with Pikiell and his Rutger's team or any other B1G team and as I am impressed with Iowa who has 2 true road wins in hostile arenas. Like what Oregon did today in Ann Arbor.....that was an impressive W.

And I will be more impressed with Michigan when they beat a quality team in a true road game.....so far they haven't done this and not too many Big teams have yet...Iowa has - Cuse by 14 and ISU by 16....that's impressive folks because you have to beat officiating too. That's a huge true road game risk....

Rutgers road games...

Ohio State beat North Carolina by 25 in Chapel Hill. I was impressed.
Purdue won at Marquette by ten. Impressed.
Penn State won at Georgetown by 15 when they were at full strength. Nice.

There just haven’t been that many true road games played by any P5 team at this point in the season.

Beating a .500 Syracuse team that has beaten absolutely nobody and won’t be in the tourney? Better than a loss but...Meh. That is not going to be a win that pushes any team to the right side of the bubble. Big names alone don’t carry the same weight in the age of analytics.

Even though they aren’t making the tourney either, the ISU win was definitely solid because of the way we won — total freaking domination on the road. Still....Texas Tech on a neutral court is by far our best win to date and their best player was out....

Much left to prove there be....

Michigan State has won 16 of their last 20 games against Iowa. A win anywhere against them will impress the heck out of me.

Last edited:
Not an excuse. Rutgers blew them out of the water right out of the gate. I do not know when the concussion happened but it did not sound good reading the coach's quotes. Powell played 15 minutes.
The announcers didn't know that Powell was injured. They were surprised he never returned from halftime and were looking for updates as the second half was played.

Rutgers came out firing on all cylinders, but to think that Seton Hall wouldn't have made a run with Powell is silly.

I assure you the crowd when I was there was a tiny fraction of the PSU crowd. Tiny.
I know. I was there that day. Ash stole the spirit of the fans at Rutgers. In four years, Ash's lack of success and dismissal of certain traditions caused the season tickets holders numbers to drop by almost 20K. Right after he was fired, the local media ran a poll to gauge how the high school coaches perceived Ash, and most (90%) said he was a nice guy, but never met him or spoke to him. Ash wasn't aggressive enough for the local folks to believe he would be successful. Ash never adopted his ideas from Ohio State and Wisconsin to blend with NJ. Rutgers doesn't have the tradition of other schools, but Rutgers can hang its hat on the "Birthplace of College Football." Ash dismiss it and had plaques and statues removed, and that was the last straw.
The difference between Ash and Schiano was Schiano sent a children's book about Rutgers football and mini football to local hospitals throughout the state. The parents of newborns received the gifts. Schiano would hold meetings with NJ HS coaches every year to gauge what he needs to do to connect with them. This time around, the local coaches are all in with Schiano. One other thing Schiano did the first to convince the people of NJ he was serious about making everyone a fan of Rutgers was to show up unannounced to meet and greet people. Schiano embraces the tough guy mentality of NJ and so has Coach Pikiell for basketball.

Rutgers road games...

I wouldn't call beating Cuse a big thing anymore and ISU is average at best this year.

Funny you mention that. I was in NYC 15+ years ago and went to a Rutgers vs Seton Hall game @ Madison Square Garden with some college buddies.

Not much of a crowd that night as they probably had only 3000 fans there. Most of which were asleep.

Funny you mention that. I was in NYC 15+ years ago and went to a Rutgers vs Seton Hall game @ Madison Square Garden with some college buddies.

Not much of a crowd that night as they probably had only 3000 fans there. Most of which were asleep.
Like any school, when you are struggling, people don't bother to show up, but when Rutgers has a pulse, people show up in masses. Also, there's some bias towards coaches who have no connection to Rutgers or NJ. At the time you went to the game at the Garden, Gary Waters (from Ohio) was the coach. Although he was having some success, he like Ash didn't embrace any aspect of NJ, and the fans turned against him. In NJ, if the fans can't connect with the staff or players, they have little interest in supporting. Waters ('00-'06) didn't have anyone on his staff from the northeast. Also, Waters had like five players from NJ/NY on the roster most years. If you want to know how the RAC rocks during a basketball game, ask any old Big East coach or fan how it was a house of horrors even when the team wasn't great.

Ohio State beat North Carolina by 25 in Chapel Hill. I was impressed.
Purdue won at Marquette by ten. Impressed.
Penn State won at Georgetown by 15 when they were at full strength. Nice.

There just haven’t been that many true road games played by any P5 team at this point in the season.

Beating a .500 Syracuse team that has beaten absolutely nobody and won’t be in the tourney? Better than a loss but...Meh. That is not going to be a win that pushes any team to the right side of the bubble. Big names alone don’t carry the same weight in the age of analytics.

Even though they aren’t making the tourney either, the ISU win was definitely solid because of the way we won — total freaking domination on the road. Still....Texas Tech on a neutral court is by far our best win to date and their best player was out....

Much left to prove there be....

Michigan State has won 16 of their last 20 games against Iowa. A win anywhere against them will impress the heck out of me.

I wouldn't call beating Cuse a big thing anymore and ISU is average at best this year.

Please quote me information that I don't already know......I know and I said there are a few teams that have true road wins stated above ....I KNOW this and I respect this more with B1G teams than a Rutgers team that does NOT have a true road win. This thread is talking about Rutgers....

And of course, I was expecting posters to devalue a win in the Carrier Dome and in Hilton Magic.....seriousy.....shame on you? Like a football win in Lincoln in front of a sold-out hostile crowd doesn't matter regardless of the team across the LOS :rolleyes:......You are reaching....Iowa has 2 true road wins on 12/15 and many other B1G teams don't yet..... deal with it.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Please quote me information that I don't already know......I know and I said there are a few teams that have true road wins stated above ....I KNOW this and I respect this more with B1G teams than a Rutgers team that does NOT have a true road win. This thread is talking about Rutgers....

And of course, I was expecting posters to devalue a win in the Carrier Dome and in Hilton Magic.....seriousy.....shame on you? Like a football win in Lincoln in front of a sold-out hostile crowd doesn't matter regardless of the team across the LOS :rolleyes:......You are reaching....Iowa has 2 true road wins on 12/15 and many other B1G teams don't yet..... deal with it.
Both Iowa and Rutgers have work to do before anyone can consider one a true road warrior or the other a solid team. You want respect for the Cuse and ISU road wins, I could have easily mentioned the bad home loss to DePaul. That same DePaul team lost to an average Buffalo team. I believe it's too early to judge some of the early season results. The bottom line is both teams show promise and the hope is it continues for both.

Both Iowa and Rutgers have work to do before anyone can consider one a true road warrior or the other a solid team. You want respect for the Cuse and ISU road wins, I could have easily mentioned the bad home loss to DePaul. That same DePaul team lost to an average Buffalo team. I believe it's too early to judge some of the early season results. The bottom line is both teams show promise and the hope is it continues for both.

Geesh....where did I call Iowa a true road warrior? But please don't devalue wins on the road at Syracuse and Ames.....don't do that.

Teams improve throughout the long season, it's a journey so a lot to be determined yet. I get that. Iowa has improved already. Luka Garza is no joke and the team supporting him is good. And again, stay on point with the thread talking about Rutgers. Just saying, I'd like to see them beat someone, anyone, in a true road game in a hostile environment before I can talk about how they've improved?? Same goes for many others teams.....OK, they look good at home but how bout beating a team on the road? Not easy to do.

Geesh....where did I call Iowa a true road warrior? But please don't devalue wins on the road at Syracuse and Ames.....don't do that.

Teams improve throughout the long season, it's a journey so a lot to be determined yet. I get that. Iowa has improved already. Luka Garza is no joke and the team supporting him is good. And again, stay on point with the thread talking about Rutgers. Just saying, I'd like to see them beat someone, anyone, in a true road game in a hostile environment before I can talk about how they've improved?? Same goes for many others teams.....OK, they look good at home but how bout beating a team on the road? Not easy to do.
I respect Iowa and I'm not trying to devalue their wins. I think it's you who is trying to minimize what Rutgers has done so far this year. Rutgers is a young team. They start 4 sophomores. Btw, Rutgers' last road win was against Iowa last year. ;)

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
That DePaul team is 10-1. Their loss to Buffalo may be a bad loss for DePaul. That was not a bad loss for Iowa. The Hawks don't have any bad losses at this point! You maybe shouldn't have mentioned! :)

That DePaul team is 10-1. Their loss to Buffalo may be a bad loss for DePaul. That was not a bad loss for Iowa. The Hawks don't have any bad losses at this point! You maybe shouldn't have mentioned! :)
Iowa doesn't have any bad losses. He was implying Rutgers does but is starting to look like the Bonnies and Pitt losses are not as bad either. The real point was both teams look better than advertised, but it still may be too early to say how good either team will be by the end of the season.

Lol. I will take your word for it. However, they couldn't have won too much at home (or any where else) as Rutger has a total of 6 NCAA appearances with the last coming in 1991 (yikes!).

With that in mind, I agree, Rutgers probably was really tough at home in the late 70's.

Like any school, when you are struggling, people don't bother to show up, but when Rutgers has a pulse, people show up in masses. Also, there's some bias towards coaches who have no connection to Rutgers or NJ. At the time you went to the game at the Garden, Gary Waters (from Ohio) was the coach. Although he was having some success, he like Ash didn't embrace any aspect of NJ, and the fans turned against him. In NJ, if the fans can't connect with the staff or players, they have little interest in supporting. Waters ('00-'06) didn't have anyone on his staff from the northeast. Also, Waters had like five players from NJ/NY on the roster most years. If you want to know how the RAC rocks during a basketball game, ask any old Big East coach or fan how it was a house of horrors even when the team wasn't great.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
Lol. I will take your word for it. However, they couldn't have won too much at home (or any where else) as Rutger has a total of 6 NCAA appearances with the last coming in 1991 (yikes!).

With that in mind, I agree, Rutgers probably was really tough at home in the late 70's.
Actually, Rutgers was tough at home. They just couldn't win a damn game on the road.:D From the mid-90s through mid-2000, Rutgers was a regular NIT participant. They were solid but not good enough to make the NCAA. Since then, the program was left to die on the vine. Only recently has Rutgers started to re-invest in the basketball program.

I love college basketball. Every game is a new adventure. Without their best two players Seton Hall knocks off Maryland. That is what makes this game fun. Anything can, and frequently does, happen on any given night.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT