ADVERTISEMENT

S&P 500 closes above 5,400 for the first time as Fed notes ‘modest’ inflation progress

dgordo

HR Legend
Nov 15, 2001
Chicago
The S&P 500 jumped to a record Wednesday after the Federal Reserve’s latest policy announcement and May inflation data pointed to easing pricing pressures.

The broader market index climbed 0.8%, while the Nasdaq Composite gained 1.5%. Both the S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit all-time highs on Wednesday and had cinched closing records in the prior session. The Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.2%.

The Fed kept interest rates unchanged, as was widely expected. The central bank also indicated progress has been made on the inflation front, noting: “In recent months, there has been modest further progress toward the Committee’s 2 percent inflation objective.”

However, the Fed’s latest projections, also released Wednesday, showed the central bank only sees one rate cut taking place this year. That’s down from three expected at the start of 2024.

Wednesday’s announcement followed the release of fresh U.S. inflation.

The consumer price index was unchanged for the month of May, lower than the Dow Jones estimate for a 0.1% monthly increase. Year over year, the inflation yardstick increased 3.3%, which also came in below expectations and represented a slowing from the prior 3.4% pace. Monthly and yearly numbers for core CPI, which excludes the volatile prices associated with energy and food, were also lower than anticipated.

“The CPI neutralized the hawkish Fed,” said Jay Hatfield, founder and chief investment officer of InfraCap. “Most market participants believe the economy is slowing, and they’re going to have to cut rates. So that’s why we think the market was shrugging off this really hawkish SEP of just one cut.”

The 10-year Treasury yield dropped below 4.3%.

S&P 500 posts its fourth straight record close, buoyed by cooler inflation data​

The S&P 500 rose on Thursday to post a fourth consecutive record close as traders weighed more data showing inflation pressures may be easing.

The broad market index climbed 0.23% to end at 5,433.74, while the Nasdaq Composite advanced 0.34% and closed at 17,667.56. Thursday marked the fourth straight closing record for both S&P 500 and the Nasdaq. The Dow Jones Industrial Average was the underperformer: It slipped 65.11 points, or 0.17%, to end at 38,647.10.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit record levels this week, boosted by fresh data showing signs of inflation pressures cooling.

May’s producer price index fell 0.2% from the prior month. Economists polled by Dow Jones expected an increase of 0.1%. That report comes a day after the Bureau of Labor Statistics posted consumer price index data for May that came in below the Street’s expectations.

Thursday’s data also follows a Federal Reserve policy decision. The Fed kept rates unchanged, but noted there has been progress made on the inflation front. That said, the central bank lowered its rate cut expectations for 2024 to one from its prior estimate of three.

“We can eliminate the possibility of an interest rate hike from here. That’s something in our framework that’s supportive for valuations across equities and credit,” said Zachary Hill, head of portfolio management at Horizon Investments. “Our baseline expectation right now is we’re going to continue to grind higher in an equity markets.”

Broadcom shares surged more than 12%after the chipmaker topped fiscal second-quarter expectations and announced a 10-for-1 stock split. On the other hand, Dave & Buster’s Entertainment shares dropped nearly 11% after the company’s first-quarter revenue missed estimates.

Generac and Paramount Global, respectively down 4.6% and 6.9%, were among the notable losers in the S&P 500. The streaming service dipped after National Amusements killed its discussions with Skydance on a proposed merger. Salesforce and Amazon, respectively down 2.9% and 1.6%, contributed to the Dow’s decline.

"The S&P 500 rose on Thursday to post a fourth consecutive record close as traders weighed more data showing inflation pressures may be easing."

That certainly doesn't fit the retrumplican narrative.

Reactions: nelly02
Yep. The rich folks on this board get richer while those that can’t afford to invest lose out. Thanks Biden.
I was told the markets would tank if Trump wasn't reelected? Now this is the goal post movement? Don't blame me I voted for the email lady what you referenced stems mostly from a Jan 2017-Jan 2021 colossal failure of a time period..

My investments are doing quite well, having bought the Fall dip, but it should be concerning to all the divide that is becoming larger and larger between those that can absorb these inflationary times and those that are absolutely getting buried.
See the Reagan thread to a lot of our whys and the colossal failures of GWB and Trump.

You're not losing out.

You're just not gaining.

That's your fault. Not Bidens.
Perfect! Love this statement. First Dem I’ve ever seen blame the actual person vs blaming the system. You sir or mam are a rare breed on this board. Does this apply to the whole country or just me?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
Get a better job.
Hah. I’m good thanks. I was just surprised at Chis’ response given his political stance on distribution of wealth. Everyone knows what the stock market going up means for the less fortunate, so was a bit surprised by his and a few other responses

Hah. I’m good thanks. I was just surprised at Chis’ response given his political stance on distribution of wealth. Everyone knows what the stock market going up means for the less fortunate, so was a bit surprised by his and a few other responses
If a republican was in office these libs would be whining about wealth distribution. The market is going to crash sooner, rather than later. It doesn't matter much who's in office.

• Haha
Reactions: franklinman
Perfect! Love this statement. First Dem I’ve ever seen blame the actual person vs blaming the system. You sir or mam are a rare breed on this board. Does this apply to the whole country or just me?
Pull yourself up from your bootstraps, patriot. Ask not what the country can do for you; ask what you can do for our country.

You don’t need to be rich to enjoy the stock market.

aggressive growth choices in your 401k investments is a long term winner.

I bought Apple Amazon and Microsoft stock when I had spare money over the past 25 years. Just a few hundred when we had extra. I plan on retiring early off that alone.

Sure others have made billions but I used it to my advantage also.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT