ADVERTISEMENT

San Francisco School District Drops 'Chief' From Job-Titles, Cites Native-American Concerns

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
I'm just amused by the absurdity of it.
There is no logical stopping point for this nonsense, is there?
It just has to get more and more arcane.

chief (adj.)
c. 1300, "highest in rank or power; most important or prominent; supreme, best, placed above the rest," from Old French chief "chief, principal, first" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum (also source of Spanish and Portuguese cabo, Italian capo, Provençal cap), from Latin caput "head," also "leader, guide, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head").

chief (n.)
c. 1300, "head, leader, captain; the principal or most important part of anything;" from Old French chief "leader, ruler, head" of something, "capital city" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum, from Latin caput "head," also "leader, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head"). Meaning "head of a clan" is from 1570s; later extended to headmen of Native American tribes (by 1713; William Penn, 1680s, called them kings). Commander-in-chief is attested from 1660s.

Can we use chieftain?

This has white liberal angst written all over it. Didn't know there were still native American tribes in. San Francisco.

I wonder if all those super concerned people will be giving up the highest priced land in the world to give it back to the closest tribe?

The administration obviously supports it, made clear by the fact that they won't even weigh-in on anything woke.

God forbid this basement dummy potus actually says "enough is enough" on something that actually matters.

The puppet won't condemn it because his masters are the ones pushing it - which is a pretty logical conclusion that should be fairly easy for most functioning adults to understand.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Correct, chief is not a native American word.
This is an odd one. Chief existed and we applied it to the Native Americans. My general opinion on this stuff is that there are some that shouldn’t have been gone decades ago; some that I have no energy on, so if they go they go; and some where we’re just trying too hard. This is the trying too hard version.

In our midwest city of over 100,000 population, we have
a Police Chief and and a Fire Chief. Both are well-paid and
do a good job for the city. Nobody cares about nomenclature.

First it was gay cops can’t march in the pride parade in uniform. Now it’s the word “chief”. At our Memorial Day gathering, in a pretty liberal crowd by the way, we all agreed this has gone way too far.

What’s next? Ban all of these guys? Cowboys and construction workers watch out. We have jumped the shark on our imagery and language choices so that a small (like super small) % of us can feel like they are doing something - even though what they are doing results in no meaningful change.

Will this have any effect on my ability to call people chief?
VE0-lx.gif

Reactions: seminole97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT