ADVERTISEMENT

Savannah strips name of U.S. Vice President from the public square named in his honor in 1851....

“Erasing history” has to be the stupidest in a long string of stupid phrases from the right. You guys all say it, and you should be mad at whoever came up with it that you’re all copying. Literally nothing about Calhoun that we know today won’t be knowable tomorrow. If anything, a piece of history hasn’t been “erased,” but examined in its entirety. That’s a good thing. It’s what we with degrees in history do.

A 54% black town decided it could probably find someone better than a guy who fought to keep black people in shackles to name a public square after. That’s what this really boils down to.
Yep and it's funny because I guarantee over half the "you're erasing history!" crowd had never heard of Calhoun until they decided to change the name. They learn some history while crying about history being erased.

I think this is something Americans need to be careful with. It is very easy to judge people of the past by today's standards.

The guy served as vp for 2 presidents. There have been many other presidents who have been criticized and "cancelled".

So what happens to America when we all hate the people that came before us? I don't think it makes us a stronger country to devalue former leaders of our country who represented the people and who was voted on by the people.

Some day our current politicians may be judged in the same way. I do believe a bunch of current democrats will go down in history as supporters of genital mutilation on children and practicing experimental medicine on children. They will also be judged on the fact that they have normalized men becoming women, so they can keep biological women down. (This is not meant to start a gender discussion, but rather, show that time is not always kind on some ideas, so be careful who you are going to throw under the bus. It may come back to hurt you)

You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I think this is something Americans need to be careful with. It is very easy to judge people of the past by today's standards.

The guy served as vp for 2 presidents. There have been many other presidents who have been criticized and "cancelled".

So what happens to America when we all hate the people that came before us? I don't think it makes us a stronger country to devalue former leaders of our country who represented the people and who was voted on by the people.

Some day our current politicians may be judged in the same way. I do believe a bunch of current democrats will go down in history as supporters of genital mutilation on children and practicing experimental medicine on children. They will also be judged on the fact that they have normalized men becoming women, so they can keep biological women down. (This is not meant to start a gender discussion, but rather, show that time is not always kind on some ideas, so be careful who you are going to throw under the bus. It may come back to hurt you)

You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.
You know what… you’re crazy. But, let’s say you aren’t… then let history judge those actions if it comes to that. Let’s go to a time not that far removed when folks in the Jim Crow south mistreated people because of their skin color. There was a whole lot of people who supported that, was ok with that or stayed silent. You won’t find many of those people who’d admit today that they fell into those categories. They were on the wrong side of history and I bet there will be something similar that happens in 10-15 years when it comes to those who came after those who are gay, lesbian, transgender. Just let those people be and worry about your own house.

He was a product of his time. That doesn't change the fact that he was an important figure in U.S. history.
We. Aren't In. His. Time. We do not need to honor him to understand his place in history. That's just stupid.

And EVERYBODY knew slavery was wrong. EVERYBODY...including Calhoun. But the South was making money off of it so they made slaves less than human to justify it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT