ADVERTISEMENT

Saw an owl today

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
We live in a timber, but I realized I'd never seen one in our yard before. I've heard them virtually every night for the 23 years we've lived here, but I don't remember ever seeing one in the daytime before.

Good-looking bird.

Seemed wise, too.

CSB

Live in Des Moines. Our under 10lb rescue was barking different than normal. Walked around the corner to see a huge owl sitting on our basketball hoop, 5’ from me. Very impressive bird.

Reactions: unIowa
Live in Des Moines. Our under 10lb rescue was barking different than normal. Walked around the corner to see a huge owl sitting on our basketball hoop, 5’ from me. Very impressive bird.
They will take your pet in a heartbeat.

Yes they will. We have 3 rescue dogs under 20lbs. I tell the wife putting a sweater on them just makes it easier to pick them up.

We live in a timber, but I realized I'd never seen one in our yard before. I've heard them virtually every night for the 23 years we've lived here, but I don't remember ever seeing one in the daytime before.

Good-looking bird.

Seemed wise, too.

CSB
You didn't say what kind of owl. Great horned owl (hoot owl)?. I can imitate a barred owl pretty good. I remember what I assume was an inexperienced reporter referring to them in an newspaper article as "bard" owls. Ever been to that sanctuary I think is probably near you that has owls and other birds?

Used to see one all the time when I lived in Iowa City. It was a great horned owl with a very literal hoot.

You didn't say what kind of owl. Great horned owl (hoot owl)?. I can imitate a barred owl pretty good. I remember what I assume was an inexperienced reporter referring to them in an newspaper article as "bard" owls. Ever been to that sanctuary I think is probably near you that has owls and other birds?
I cannot tell one owl from another. I guess that makes me an aviarist.

giphy.gif

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT