ADVERTISEMENT

Saw "Poor Things" yesterday. Great movie. 4.5/5 stars.

GES4

HR All-American
Nov 14, 2001
I'd probably go 5 stars normally but it lost a half star because it was a little too disturbing to fit the bill as a traditional family Christmas movie. But my kids are old so we can handle it.

Anyway Emma Stone is mesmerizing. Willem Dafoe is great as usual. The movie is a spectacle. Highly recommend.

Can confirm. This is what high falutin' critics call a "brave performance."
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I'd probably go 5 stars normally but it lost a half star because it was a little too disturbing to fit the bill as a traditional family Christmas movie. But my kids are old so we can handle it.

Anyway Emma Stone is mesmerizing. Willem Dafoe is great as usual. The movie is a spectacle. Highly recommend.
so im like almost finished and you watched this with your kids? lmao

Jut finished. I had an idea of what it was about, but that was not what I expected. At all. It had a great art style. I loved it it. It was like this fantastical art deco, that reminded me of Melies's A Flight to the moon. The color was amazing. Bright and vibrant, almost oversaturated at times. I loved how the color appeared when she broke lose. I appreciated the strange and uncomfortable music.

I loved the story of personal discovery. Personal strength. The uncomfortableness of it all. The strong character arc made you root for the uniquness to never be squash or held captive. The overarching theme of breaking the cycle and chains that bind you. Breaking the cycle of becoming the father who does cruel surgeries, breaking the cycle of becoming your mother of the body you inhabit. Being influenced by your past, but not becoming your past, and becoming yourself.

I thought her performance was terrific and I really liked the way it was shot. I thought it was a little long and some of the disturbing scenes got repetitive. That director is one strange dude.

Jut finished. I had an idea of what it was about, but that was not what I expected. At all. It had a great art style. I loved it it. It was like this fantastical art deco, that reminded me of Melies's A Flight to the moon. The color was amazing. Bright and vibrant, almost oversaturated at times. I loved how the color appeared when she broke lose. I appreciated the strange and uncomfortable music.

I loved the story of personal discovery. Personal strength. The uncomfortableness of it all. The strong character arc made you root for the uniquness to never be squash or held captive. The overarching theme of breaking the cycle and chains that bind you. Breaking the cycle of becoming the father who does cruel surgeries, breaking the cycle of becoming your mother of the body you inhabit. Being influenced by your past, but not becoming your past, and becoming yourself.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

the problem i had with it was she was clearly crazy as heck and people took advantage of her regularly. because they were abusing the crazy person. and it was OK. somehow. because it was a different time. if it were 2024 , there would have been jail time.

the problem i had with it was she was clearly crazy as heck and people took advantage of her regularly. because they were abusing the crazy person. and it was OK. somehow. because it was a different time. if it were 2024 , there would have been jail time.
I think it was implied that no matter what period it took place it wasn't okay. They did it because they had it happen to them, so they did it to others. That was the cyclical nature of the story, and how she was trying to break the cycle.

The only problem I had is it was unclear how fast time moved. It seemed within the course of a few months her brain had grown from toddler to functioning adult.

I thought her performance was terrific and I really liked the way it was shot. I thought it was a little long and some of the disturbing scenes got repetitive. That director is one strange dude.
he clearly thinks it's ok to sexually abuse folks who do not have the capacity to consent. she had like about a 10 yr old girl mentality through most of that movie. maybe 8 yr old. that being said, yes the movie itself was nice filmwork, bizarre use of futuristic stuff and antique Victorian stuff... blended together, kind of like the original willy wonka or something from the 70's

he clearly thinks it's ok to sexually abuse folks who do not have the capacity to consent. she had like about a 10 yr old girl mentality through most of that movie. maybe 8 yr old. that being said, yes the movie itself was nice filmwork, bizarre use of futuristic stuff and antique Victorian stuff... blended tiogether, kind of like the original willy wonka or something from the 70's
The author/director are not the narrator.

I also really recommend this movie. It was so well directed and acted. The costume department also did a fantastic job. It was funny, dark, and disturbing.

Emma was just incredible. She really became that character.

I think it was implied that no matter what period it took place it wasn't okay. They did it because they had it happen to them, so they did it to others. That was the cyclical nature of the story, and how she was trying to break the cycle.

The only problem I had is it was unclear how fast time moved. It seemed within the course of a few months her brain had grown from toddler to functioning adult.
i noticed that too but at the end of it all she was no longer functioning and back to her childish ways. I was left thinking there was no breaking out of the cycle. and she was entering back into the cycle. maybe a metaphor for becoming old and going into a nursing home and having to be taken care of like a child in your older years in the nursing home? maybe. I know she wasn't that old yet but she was headed that way rapidly the way time was moving. yet she seemed to be becoming childish again.

Reactions: millah_22
you could say that about any movie that a law is broken or someone is harmed.
maybe i don't know. this is seriously my first time jumping into movies after about 30 yrs of never having cable tv or internet that's fast. we had a modem till lately. last yr we got high speed internet and hulu. mainly for hawk games. so this being one of my newfound deals where I watch movies, it was kind of disturbing. last time we went to the theater was 1999 me myself and irene. yeah, I've watched clips before, but now I can say I'm watching movies. saw queen of meth with lori arnold. started watching fargo tv series. and raylen givens

maybe i don't know. this is seriously my first time jumping into movies after about 30 yrs of never having cable tv or internet that's fast. we had a modem till lately. last yr we got high speed internet and hulu. mainly for hawk games. so this being one of my newfound deals where I watch movies, it was kind of disturbing. last time we went to the theater was 1999 me myself and irene. yeah, I've watched clips before, but now I can say I'm watching movies. saw queen of meth with lori arnold. started watching fargo tv series. and raylen givens
I am really sure what to say here other than welcome to the modern world.

I am really sure what to say here other than welcome to the modern world.
yeah when we first moved out here in the country people has these small sattelite deals for cable. we got AT&T modem for like 20 years on our hard line phone. we had no cable tv. lately there have been a bunch of air fiber internet people putting towers around. we got the air fiber internet now . this little dish on our roof. now spectrum cable is burying the fiber optics out here as we speak. spectrum is coming soon but my neighbor tells me it's hit or miss and keeps having interruptions. we are like 20 miles south of austin.

yeah when we first moved out here in the country people has these small sattelite deals for cable. we got AT&T modem for like 20 years on our hard line phone. we had no cable tv. lately there have been a bunch of air fiber internet people putting towers around. we got the air fiber internet now . this little dish on our roof. now spectrum cable is burying the fiber optics out here as we speak. spectrum is coming soon but my neighbor tells me it's hit or miss and keeps having interruptions. we are like 20 miles south of austin.
Spectrum sucks.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
I don't know who exactly thinks it's ok but somebody does or else that thing would never have seen the light of day . producer maybe? disturbing stuff.
Strange take. Like saying Stephen Spielberg advocates for shark attacks.

Strange take. Like saying Stephen Spielberg advocates for shark attacks.
I personally don't think child abuse or crazy abuse or abusing crazy people who act like children, should be on the big screen. but ok, whatevs. yes he has to advocate putting it on film. or somebody does. not that they advocate it in real life. I'm talking films. so, I also think some in the hollywood circles live thru their films and yes, think they can break down society in real life eventually, by using this stuff in films and dumbing down people in society into believing in real life it should be good and ok because it was good in films. yes I think that is the agenda. which is why I probably have been not watching movies for 30 yrs

in other words: make abuse acceptable on film, eventually break down society into submitting and believing it's ok in real life. yes i think that is the goal of some. can't say for sure if this film was made with such intent, but it's bizarre to say the least

in other words: make abuse acceptable on film, eventually break down society into submitting and believing it's ok in real life. yes i think that is the goal of some. can't say for sure if this film was made with such intent, but it's bizarre to say the least
Maybe you should go back to no watching movies.

This is like saying if you watch a heist movie society will eventually break down because they are acceptable.

Maybe you should go back to no watching movies.

This is like saying if you watch a heist movie society will eventually break down because they are acceptable.
Don’t even get me started about what road runner did to the coyote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT