ADVERTISEMENT

Scientists from around the world decide that there is no way to save Europe from meteor.

Give six month lead time during simulation.

Equity.
tenor.gif

So, how much money would it cost to have an asteroid deflection program in place that could do something about this with a six months notice?

• Haha
Reactions: Eternal Return
Easy

Restart the Orion Project

We can shoot down a satellite in space from a ship but can't hit a large rock? Maybe we need like a Space Force or something?

So, how much money would it cost to have an asteroid deflection program in place that could do something about this with a six months notice?

Probably would take quite a bit to get it off the ground. You would have to invest a lot up front to have such a spacecraft designed and then built. Maintenance afterwards should be negligible though.

The biggest challenge would be putting them in an orbit, preferably outside of earth's orbit (Heliocentric??) with enough fuel remaining to allow them to respond quickly without having to wait around too long for the proper window. I would guess based of the little knowledge I do have that having several in heliocentric orbits would give us the best chance to respond to anything.

I'm not sure but I don't think we could just leave them on earth or in earth orbit because earth might not be in a position for a launch window when you need it to be and your best chance of stopping one of these is to intercept it and altar it's course as far away from earth as possible. If you catch it 6 months to a year out, taking one out should be a matter of slightly changing it's course or even simply slowing it down or speeding it up slightly.

If you let it enter the influence of earth's gravity than things get much much harder.

We can shoot down a satellite in space from a ship but can't hit a large rock? Maybe we need like a Space Force or something?

You do realize the technological challenges are quite different. Shooting down a satellite should be a relatively simple matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT