ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Maryland

ghostOfHomer777

HB Heisman
May 20, 2014
The OC/interim coach is Locksely - familiar face, former OC for Illinois during the Zook regime. As we all recall, with Juice Williams at the helm, they ran a read-option game.

Admittedly, I haven't tracked Maryland too much this year, however, their likely starter at QB will be Perry Hills. Given that he's ran for 90 yards against Bowling Green and 170 yards against Ohio State - methinks he's likely executing read-option stuff.

Maryland has access to a hotbed of talent with their given geography. Thus, we are guaranteed to see excellent speed and athleticism across their roster. However, whenever there are coaching issues - there invariably follow execution issues by the players.

Presuming that Hills is mobile and fast ... I have concerns about Iowa's raider package on third down. The outside guys in the package have been losing outside leverage - thereby allowing faster QBs to escape and get to the edge. I assume that they'll be well prepped for the Maryland game - but this nit-picking point is one of the few that is bothering me.

If they run the read-option, this extra week of preparation is even BETTER than I had originally thought.

Their receiver who went off against us last year (Stefon Diggs- 9 rec, 130 yds, TD) had a nice game yesterday for the Minnesota Vikings. It'll be nice not having to face him again. I think we are better suited to slow them down defensively this year than last year.

Also, Weisman and Canzeri combined for like 115 yards while Maryland ran for over 200. While not impossible, I don't think this is a likely scenario in this year's game.

Every game is its own little micro-universe. Though it is their first visit, Doodle suspects Kinnick will not be a particularly harsh shock to their system after having already played at West Virginia and Ohio State earlier this year.

And speaking of the OSU game, they were tied at 21 with the #1 team and defending CFP champs in Columbus halfway through the 3rd quarter. Sure they are in a bit of turmoil with their coaching situation and whatnot, and yes they ultimately did lose by 21 to the Buckeyes, but that alone shows us they are more than capable of putting up a major fight on the road against a supposedly superior opponent. It's still a Power 5 team with Power 5-level scholarship athletes. Every game will be a unique and interesting challenge.

In that game with OSU by the way, Maryland had only 66 yards rushing and about 250 passing. OSU meanwhile almost had identical rushing/passing stats at 269/264 respectively. So, hopefully that is a preview of good things to come from our offense....maybe getting back to that "holy grail" run/pass balance we seem to always strive for.

Would like to think that also shows it's not terribly difficult to make MD one-dimensional. That said, we made Illinois, Wisconsin and Pitt almost completely one-dimensional (that one dimension being passing), and all of those games came right down to the dang wire.

So basically what Ol' Doodle is trying to say is, this team and this season is pretty much....
forrest-gump-1994-001-chocolate-sharing-001-578x200.jpg

Maryland handed Richmond its only loss before College Gameday visits Harrisonburg for UR vs JMU this weekend, so there's that.

If Maryland can't pass well, I like our chances very much.

MD total offensive yards ranking is 109. Their defensive total yards ranking is 109.

Iowa if they show up, they should crush Maryland.

Maryland has zero passing game. I believe they've gone through three different quarterbacks so far this season trying to find literally anyone that can consistently complete a forward pass.

Glad we have an extra week to prepare for this game, not just health-wise, but because they like to run a lot of the motion (or jet) triple option looks that we 'struggled' with at times last year (Maryland, Minny, Tenn,). Hopefully PP schemes it a little different this year and that extra week should help in getting guys on their reads a lot quicker. I am confident that they will.

Glad we have an extra week to prepare for this game, not just health-wise, but because they like to run a lot of the motion (or jet) triple option looks that we 'struggled' with at times last year (Maryland, Minny, Tenn,). Hopefully PP schemes it a little different this year and that extra week should help in getting guys on their reads a lot quicker. I am confident that they will.
Yeah - I was just watching the Maryland vs Ohio State game. Maryland shows a lot of formations and they do a bit out of them too. Some of what they do remind me of Iowa State ... but other elements remind me of the Juice Williams era Illini O. They even operate some out from behind center - using play-action and all that.

On O, they really try to be very "multiple." I too will be curious how Phil ends up trying to game-plan them.

First and foremost, they need to make sure that they put a bottle on the Maryland running game ... particularly keeping an eye on the QB run.

Would like to think that also shows it's not terribly difficult to make MD one-dimensional. That said, we made Illinois, Wisconsin and Pitt almost completely one-dimensional (that one dimension being passing), and all of those games came right down to the dang wire.
The difference in those games, though, is that our offense bogged down at various and occasionally important times. The saving grace has been the defense, and their ability to stay mostly healthy this year (knock on wood).

Pitt- lots of blitzing, very physical, our O stepped up when needed, but most of the 2nd half was a struggle to move the ball.
Wisconsin- similar to Pitt, though I don't think they blitzed quite as much......ghost? Outside of the two scoring drives and a couple other missed scoring opportunities, our offense was shut down. The Badgers' was just shut down more.
Illinois- similar concept, lots of blitzing, very physical, we didn't finish drives. Had to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns and that allowed the Illini to stay with us on the scoreboard.

Against Northwestern, we were able to impose our will, but we also finished drives with touchdowns. That needs to continue against a supposedly weaker defense. If Iowa can control the line of scrimmage offensively, and possess the ball for long periods of time, finishing those drives with touchdowns, that in itself is going to be a big hurdle for Maryland to climb, aside from whatever our defense has in store for them.

Also, through a good hunk of the Ohio State game, the Maryland D had Elliot pretty bottled up. Specifically, up into the 3rd quarter, they had been holding Elliot to a little over 3 yards per carry. Furthermore, without a WRs good run, Michigan was held to 132 yards on 39 carries - 3.38 yards per carry!

The defensive line of Maryland doesn't seem too bad. It's not a group that is just going to let itself get dominated.

While Will Likely is a talented cover corner, Maryland's pass D certainly does seem somewhat suspect. Iowa will have to be able to pass the ball if they want to have success against Maryland. The pass will be needed to open up the running game against Maryland.

Reactions: ichawk24
Wisconsin- similar to Pitt, though I don't think they blitzed quite as much......ghost? Outside of the two scoring drives and a couple other missed scoring opportunities, our offense was shut down. The Badgers' was just shut down more.
Illinois- similar concept, lots of blitzing, very physical, we didn't finish drives. Had to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns and that allowed the Illini to stay with us on the scoreboard.

Just in the 1st quarter alone, on 3rd downs, Wisconsin would do 3 primary things ...
  1. bring 5 guys where the "extra" guy was a LB (typically Schobert) - they were mostly using Biegel as a 4th D-lineman on the edge (not unlike how we our LEO as a 5th guy on the line)
  2. bring 5 guys where the "extra" guy was a safety
  3. bring zone pressure - only bringing 4 guys, but placing emphasis on rushing with speed - they can pull it off because Biegel can drop back and cover much better than the average DE
They'd use the zone-blitz occasionally on earlier downs too. On first down, the Badgers would typically bring 8 to 9 hats within the box to shut down the run. If they'd read run on second down, they'd often do the same thing there too.

In the second half, when Wisconsin was doing a better job of playing field position, they were getting more aggressive when they had us pinned deeper. They were bringing more pressures - though still mostly with 5 guys. They really didn't want to get beat by the pass - so they made sure they had guys in coverage.

Against Northwestern, we were able to impose our will, but we also finished drives with touchdowns. That needs to continue against a supposedly weaker defense. If Iowa can control the line of scrimmage offensively, and possess the ball for long periods of time, finishing those drives with touchdowns, that in itself is going to be a big hurdle for Maryland to climb, aside from whatever our defense has in store for them.

Ironically, through the non-conference slate, our red-zone TD efficiency was quite impressive. We had 16 red-zone appearances and 14 resulted in TDs. Mind you, at least one of those failed occasions came on the fake field goal against ISU.

However, through the conference slate, our red-zone TD efficiency has been terrible. We currently lead the B1G with 16 red-zone appearances. However, ONLY 6 have resulted in TDs! It's interesting to ask "why." Here are some of my thoughts on the matter:
  • We've had to break in a new LT through the 3 games of conference play.
  • Our most veteran big-play WR was out through the first 2 games - the two games where our TD efficiency was the worst.
  • Beathard has been playing dinged. While he likely won't play healthy through the rest of the regular season - coming off the bye-week might mark the most healthy he'll be since the beginning of the season.
  • Credit is due to the defenses we've played. It's not like Ds are trying to make it easy for us.
  • There have been missed opportunities. I can count 2 plays alone against Illinois that arguably should have resulted in TDs. I won't pick on players or "go negative" ... but there are things that we can clean up too.
  • At least one miss by the refs, a no-call on a pass-interference/defensive holding in the end-zone.
Anyhow, I truly believe that getting guys back healthy will help. With Tevaun back - that gives us a 3rd receiving target whom Beathard seems to have a ton of trust in. More viable targets in the red-zone makes it harder for opposing Ds to cover.

Greater personnel-continuity on the OL will lead to fewer missed blocks ... that will help both in the run- and pass-game. The more time Beathard has, the more dangerous he is to defend. Obviously, the better the OL is blocking ... the easier to run the ball in the red-zone too.

Getting Daniels back should help. Having bigger bruising backs like Mitchell and Daniels good to go in the 4th quarter should help too. It helps to grind down opposing Ds - it can really get into the head of opposing DBs when they know that they have to come in on run-support.

Lastly, the problem will obviously be addressed by the coaches and they will continue to work on it - so that they can clean things up more. Ultimately, better execution in the red-zone will lead to a higher red-zone TD efficiency.

Last edited:
I am completely going on last year and know a lot of things are different. Maryland's offense made Iowa's D look BAD last year. I am hopeful Iowa can rise to the challenge and shut the Terps down. It would be a little disheartening to lose this one.

Iowa and Duzey will get revenge on Maryland this year. Maryland is their second easiest game remaining behind Purdue.

I am completely going on last year and know a lot of things are different. Maryland's offense made Iowa's D look BAD last year. I am hopeful Iowa can rise to the challenge and shut the Terps down. It would be a little disheartening to lose this one.

Maryland doesn't have near the talent on offense this season and Iowa's linebackers are playing much better this season compared to last season. Iowa basically had 2 question marks on defense this season: Will the linebacker play improve and can they replace their DTs? I think both of those questions have been answered with a resounding YES.

Maryland doesn't have near the talent on offense this season and Iowa's linebackers are playing much better this season compared to last season. Iowa basically had 2 question marks on defense this season: Will the linebacker play improve and can they replace their DTs? I think both of those questions have been answered with a resounding YES.

I'm more concerned about the match-up between Maryland's D vs Iowa's O. However, the mobility of their QB is a concern too.

If we can make Maryland 1-dimensional (i.e. take away the run) AND if we can score ... we should be able to control the game.

I'm more concerned about the match-up between Maryland's D vs Iowa's O. However, the mobility of their QB is a concern too.

If we can make Maryland 1-dimensional (i.e. take away the run) AND if we can score ... we should be able to control the game.

Also, making them one dimensional has DK foaming at the mouth.....I think they have thrown a very high number of picks and about a 44% completion rate. On defense it comes back again to setting the edge and LBs flying to the ball which they should be able to do better than ever knowing the passing game is not a huge threat. As far as our O vs their D, I know it does not always work like this but Maryland gives up some BIG numbers.....keep the balance, CJ will be far more effective with two weeks of rest, we will be a full strength at WR and TE, get one O lineman back, and we had 3 go to backs. I like our chances controlling the clock and long drives. Do that and EVERY Maryland offensive possession for them is ultra critical to produce something positive out of. If they(Maryland) CAN'T control the clock, they are in deep sheet.

Also, making them one dimensional has DK foaming at the mouth.....I think they have thrown a very high number of picks and about a 44% completion rate. On defense it comes back again to setting the edge and LBs flying to the ball which they should be able to do better than ever knowing the passing game is not a huge threat.
King would be foaming more if Caleb Rowe were starting. Perry Hills will likely be the starter - and he's been a much better decision maker. Hills has gotten the nod more as of late because he's demonstrated the ability to be the best decision-maker out of the QBs on the roster.

Maryland does not have a good defense.

Part of the problem with that game was our terrible offense. Defense got worn down. I don't know how many three and outs we had but it was a joke to watch.

Last year Vs. Maryland was hard to watch. The Hawks couldn't get out of their own way on Offense and the Defense got tired of chasing Diggs and their second string QB IIRC.
Maryland was begging Iowa to put them away, and when the Hawks refused, the Terps took advantage. This appears to be a much different Iowa team from last year, but Maryland has the athletes to compete and could make this a very close game.

Maryland does not have a good defense.
Their run D can be decent ... just look at the 2 examples I provided before. Look at how they bottled up Elliot for nearly 3 quarters of a game ... and how they contained Michigan's O.

Part of the problem with their D is their O. Their O is sufficiently mediocre that the D never gets very long breaks from being on the field. Against both Michigan and Ohio State ... the D eventually just got worn down. Through a little over 2 quarters ... the games were really close. Then in the last quarter to quarter and a half ... Michigan and Ohio State ran away in their respective games.

Also, to respond to an earlier poster - Maryland is 4th in the B1G in sacks per game. So they muster a pretty respectable pass rush. They have good size and athleticism on their DL.

Their run D can be decent ... just look at the 2 examples I provided before. Look at how they bottled up Elliot for nearly 3 quarters of a game ... and how they contained Michigan's O.

Part of the problem with their D is their O. Their O is sufficiently mediocre that the D never gets very long breaks from being on the field. Against both Michigan and Ohio State ... the D eventually just got worn down. Through a little over 2 quarters ... the games were really close. Then in the last quarter to quarter and a half ... Michigan and Ohio State ran away in their respective games.

Also, to respond to an earlier poster - Maryland is 4th in the B1G in sacks per game. So they muster a pretty respectable pass rush. They have good size and athleticism on their DL.

If you go back and look, a huge part of our defensive problem last year against Maryland was the scheme and game plan. I don't know why PP decided to blitz from all over, but they got burnt numerous times from it. Now given, the first zone blitz resulted in Ott picking off a pass, but that was the only time the blitzes worked out. Got burnt in a zone blitz, got really burnt on a corner crash. Corner blitzed and Lowdermilk was slow rolling up on coverage, they ran a 2 man screen right from where the blitz came from and he was off to the races. I think we'll see a lot more of our base defense, pretty much liked they played Illinois and Maryland doesn't have a qb anywhere near as good as Lunt, so I think we handle them pretty easily.

Weren't the terps the ones that ran influence blocking on us last year? I don't see that working this year. Our defense is much better and same with the offense.

OSU has been vulnerable this year. More so than last year.

Last edited:

These are the game by game rushing yards Maryland has given up.

OSU-182
Michigan-198
WVU-304
USF-240
Bowling Green-201
Richmond-56

Ghost, their rush defense is bad. If they keep Iowa's rushing game in check, that is Iowa's fault.

If OSU had made their QB change before Maryland they would have had 250 to 300 tds rushing I would wager.

These are the game by game rushing yards Maryland has given up.

OSU-182
Michigan-198
WVU-304
USF-240
Bowling Green-201
Richmond-56

Ghost, their rush defense is bad. If they keep Iowa's rushing game in check, that is Iowa's fault.
Bottom-line numbers rarely tell the full story. 66 yards of the Michigan total were due to a single run by their WR, Chesson. Thus, that implies that their other 39 carries went for 132 yards.

Up through the 3rd quarter - they were holding Ezekiel Elliot to something like 3.6 yards per carry. Then, as I mentioned before, they've been getting worn out - and the got pounded towards the end of the game.

Context is important.

Lastly, Bowling Green and WVU have pretty good Os - BGSU is especially good through the air. That will open stuff up in the running game because then the D is caught up having fewer hats in the box.

Passing really wasn't too much of an option in the Maryland/Michigan game. There was a hurricane in the area. So Maryland could sell out on the run.

Maryland moved Shane Cockerille back to QB, he was a QB turned into a FB. So it'll be interested if he plays any, he is listed as co-backup with Caleb Rowe for them.

Bottom-line numbers rarely tell the full story. 66 yards of the Michigan total were due to a single run by their WR, Chesson. Thus, that implies that their other 39 carries went for 132 yards.

Up through the 3rd quarter - they were holding Ezekiel Elliot to something like 3.6 yards per carry. Then, as I mentioned before, they've been getting worn out - and the got pounded towards the end of the game.

Context is important.

Lastly, Bowling Green and WVU have pretty good Os - BGSU is especially good through the air. That will open stuff up in the running game because then the D is caught up having fewer hats in the box.
Your reaching Ghost. I suspect you are protecting yourself from disappointment by coming up with reasons why things might not go well? I do the same thing sometimes. It is possible they slow Iowa's run game, but if you want to realistic, Iowa will likely rush for 200 plus yards. They are 6 games into the season and have the 99th ranked rush defense in the country. I believe Iowa is a top 25 rush offense that seems to be getting even better at running the ball. To put it into perspective, what would you say to a Maryland fan if they said "Iowa's rush defense can be had, they gave up 185 on the ground to North Texas." I would tell them they are likely to be disappointed on the 31st.

It didn't have anything to do with Maryland. It had to do with Ohio State's struggles and Michigan does not have a good offense.

Maryland vaunted defense:

34.7 pts 104th in the country
196.3 rushing yds per game 100th in the country
260.8 passing yards per game 105th in the country
457.7 yds per game 111th in the country
5.72 yds per play for 78th in the country
Opponents red zone conversion 85.71% 79th in the country
Opponents Red Zone TD% 75% 113th in the country

It didn't have anything to do with Maryland. It had to do with Ohio State's struggles and Michigan does not have a good offense.

Maryland vaunted defense:

34.7 pts 104th in the country
196.3 rushing yds per game 100th in the country
260.8 passing yards per game 105th in the country
457.7 yds per game 111th in the country
5.72 yds per play for 78th in the country
Opponents red zone conversion 85.71% 79th in the country
Opponents Red Zone TD% 75% 113th in the country

This....there is enough data through the season to give a fairly concrete idea of a teams identity and capabilities at this point. One game here or there can be thrown out but when you have played 6 or 7 games "you are who you are" for the most part. The only exception to that would be if you were without 2 or 3 key starters for a period of time that have the ability to make a huge impact once they return. I would be shocked if Iowa did not run for over 200 against Maryland. Control the ball, don't lay it on the turf, and play the defense we have been playing.

Your reaching Ghost. I suspect you are protecting yourself from disappointment by coming up with reasons why things might not go well? I do the same thing sometimes. It is possible they slow Iowa's run game, but if you want to realistic, Iowa will likely rush for 200 plus yards. They are 6 games into the season and have the 99th ranked rush defense in the country. I believe Iowa is a top 25 rush offense that seems to be getting even better at running the ball. To put it into perspective, what would you say to a Maryland fan if they said "Iowa's rush defense can be had, they gave up 185 on the ground to North Texas." I would tell them they are likely to be disappointed on the 31st.
I'm pretty confident in thinking that Iowa will likely win. That's not my concern. However, I like working through the mental exercise of anticipating how the game will flow. Like many fanatics, I get way too caught up into the game as it's being played. It helps my blood-pressure if I at least have an inkling of how the game will likely transpire.

Right now, I'm anticipating that Maryland will make the sledding tough for the Hawks through the first half - so the Hawks will have to adapt by being balanced and moving the ball through the air. A healthy Beathard should be able to do that pretty effectively. A healthier Hawk squad should have an improved red-zone TD efficiency ... so the Hawks should be able to score TDs a little better. Given the quality of our D - we should be able to distance ourselves from them in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT