ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Maryland

Same as the NWestern game: If CJ plays, we win this game handily. Really excited to see Tevaun Smith back on the field; I expect him to have a big day against the turtles

I'm pretty confident in thinking that Iowa will likely win. That's not my concern. However, I like working through the mental exercise of anticipating how the game will flow. Like many fanatics, I get way too caught up into the game as it's being played. It helps my blood-pressure if I at least have an inkling of how the game will likely transpire.

Right now, I'm anticipating that Maryland will make the sledding tough for the Hawks through the first half - so the Hawks will have to adapt by being balanced and moving the ball through the air. A healthy Beathard should be able to do that pretty effectively. A healthier Hawk squad should have an improved red-zone TD efficiency ... so the Hawks should be able to score TDs a little better. Given the quality of our D - we should be able to distance ourselves from them in the second half.
Fair.

Update:
Against Penn State - D
Gave up only 48 yards rushing
sacked Hackenberg 3 times

Against Penn State - O
Rushed for 241 yards
QB rushed for 124 yards alone
Passed for 225 yards
Threw 3 interceptions

Of the teams that Iowa plays, Maryland has one of the higher yards per carry. Within conference play, they are tied for 3rd, averaging 4.5 yards per carry. For the entire season, they are 2nd, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

Within conference play, they are 6th in the conference, giving up an average of 142.7 yards per game. It's hard to determine the merit of this number. On one hand, they've played Ohio State - which is a huge challenge to defend on the ground. On the other hand, Michigan is okay on the ground ... but that is due to philosophy and sheer determination and Penn State is only okay as well.

Overall, Maryland seems CAPABLE of throwing the ball ... but they also tend to throw INTs when they do so. They aren't terribly consistent through the air AND they lean heavily on the run.

The Maryland is highly "multiple" and will be a challenge to defend on the ground. They also have a lot of individual talent - although it doesn't yet appear like they play all that well together as a team.

My guess is that if Iowa can shut down their running game - then the Hawks should be able to win, perhaps handily.

MD ran several unique counters and QB draws. I like the game in Iowa City and our players being rested. Iowa 28 - 21

MD ran several unique counters and QB draws. I like the game in Iowa City and our players being rested. Iowa 28 - 21
My biggest concern for the game is the focus of the Hawkeye players. The last time we were favored and played at home - we had a less than stellar outing against the Illini.

For whatever reason, some of our better teams seems to focus better for road games than for home games. The 2009 season comes to mind in particular ... that group really seemed to be "road warriors."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT