ADVERTISEMENT

Screw the NHL

TJ8869

HR King
Dec 7, 2006
My favorite team, the Blue Jackets, open their season tonight. I can’t watch it.

I can’t attend the game in person because of COVID. I can’t watch on tv because of a rate dispute between YTTV and Fox Sports. And I can’t watch on NHL.TV because of blackout restrictions.

I totally understand blackouts during a normal season. They’re trying to protect gate revenue. But there is no gate revenue to protect this season, so I don’t understand why they don’t lift the blackouts.

Let people watch whatever they want to watch on the $100 package and a lot of people will buy it. They could recoup some of the money they’re losing on gate revenue. Instead they’re screwing over their best fans.

My favorite team, the Blue Jackets, open their season tonight. I can’t watch it.

I can’t attend the game in person because of COVID. I can’t watch on tv because of a rate dispute between YTTV and Fox Sports. And I can’t watch on NHL.TV because of blackout restrictions.

I totally understand blackouts during a normal season. They’re trying to protect gate revenue. But there is no gate revenue to protect this season, so I don’t understand why they don’t lift the blackouts.

Let people watch whatever they want to watch on the $100 package and a lot of people will buy it. They could recoup some of the money they’re losing on gate revenue. Instead they’re screwing over their best fans.

Download Dofu Sports.

Reactions: TJ8869
I was able to watch the Blackhawks last night. I wish I wasn't.

Oh, and switch to Hulu if you want to watch Hockey. One nice thing about streaming is it is much less of a hassle to move from one to the other. The DVR on Hulu sucks though unless you pay extra money. On the other hand the original programming is far better.

Oh, and switch to Hulu if you want to watch Hockey. One nice thing about streaming is it is much less of a hassle to move from one to the other. The DVR on Hulu sucks though unless you pay extra money. On the other hand the original programming is far better.
The only problem with that strategy is it’s a never-ending game. Two months from now Hulu will get into a contract dispute with another channel I like and I’ll have to find yet another provider. And so on and so on. I’ve spent the past 15 years bouncing from one cable or satellite company to another because of these disputes. It gets old.

The NHL should just let fans pay $100 for the tv package and watch whatever games they want to watch without blackout restrictions. That would solve the problem.

The blackout isn't to protect the gate it is to protect your local RSN. Your beef isn't with the NHL, it's with YouTube and their fight with the RSNs.

DofuSports is legit. It's in the Google Play store. Download it.

Reactions: TJ8869

I knew the Hawks were gonna be bad and they were playing an elite team, but man last night was brutal. Looking at the lineup before the game was depressing.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Download Dofu Sports.
DofuSports is legit. It's in the Google Play store. Download it.
tenor.gif

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
The blackout isn't to protect the gate it is to protect your local RSN. Your beef isn't with the NHL, it's with YouTube and their fight with the RSNs.
That’s excellent point that I hadn’t really considered. All I know is I’m pissed at somebody.

I had to watch the Blackhawks last night.

A black out would have been better. 🙁

Imagining a hockey game in your head > watching real soccer.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
I knew the Hawks were gonna be bad and they were playing an elite team, but man last night was brutal. Looking at the lineup before the game was depressing.
Is Suban really their #1 goalie this year? I really don't think he has what it takes. He is like that Neuvirth or whatever his name was that played for the Flyers a few years ago. He has some really amazing saves and then let's 4 cheesy ones get by him.

i think blackouts are only relevant with the NFL (certain amount of tickets sold).

it more has to do with regional sports networks and television providers, imo.

either way it sucks. My nhl team is not blacked out in my area, but i think its dumb that games would be blacked out on nhl.tv for games i cant watch thru my cable provider (i get one of the chicago channels, but the Wild and Blues are still blacked out)

mlb.tv seems pretty worthless in Iowa

Reactions: sober_teacher
Is Suban really their #1 goalie this year? I really don't think he has what it takes. He is like that Neuvirth or whatever his name was that played for the Flyers a few years ago. He has some really amazing saves and then let's 4 cheesy ones get by him.
My guess is they use the tandem of Subban/Delia somewhat close to 50/50, unless one of them gets hot. So basically they don’t have a #1 caliber goaltender.

They just need to go into full rebuild mode. Wouldn’t be surprised if Toews is done for good. Seabrook is done. Keith has lost a step. Try to rebuild around Kubalik and hope DeBrincat can regain his rookie form. I’d even be open to trading Kane as he should fetch a high quality return. They’re not winning anything of substance anytime soon with him anyway.

Just gotta be happy with the three cups in six years and realize it’s time to start over.

Reactions: DooBi
Omaha is considered a Colorado market, yet Cox, the biggest cable company here, has never carried a station that broadcasts Avs games. We do get FoxSports Midwest, but because we're an Avs market they don't show Blues games. Stinks because I'm a Blues fan.

NHL is a dead market to fans and they aren't gonna do a thing about it because they have no fear of closing despite that.

My guess is they use the tandem of Subban/Delia somewhat close to 50/50, unless one of them gets hot. So basically they don’t have a #1 caliber goaltender.

They just need to go into full rebuild mode. Wouldn’t be surprised if Toews is done for good. Seabrook is done. Keith has lost a step. Try to rebuild around Kubalik and hope DeBrincat can regain his rookie form. I’d even be open to trading Kane as he should fetch a high quality return. They’re not winning anything of substance anytime soon with him anyway.

Just gotta be happy with the three cups in six years and realize it’s time to start over.
I know how you feel. I'm a big Kings fan. It was so much fun watching them dominate for 2 cups in between those Blackhawks cups but they have been shit the last couple years.

Do the Blue Jackets still have Bobrovski in goal? He's a good one that is fun to watch.

Do the Blue Jackets still have Bobrovski in goal? He's a good one that is fun to watch.
He signed with Florida as a free agent prior to last season. Joonas Korpisalo and Elvis Merzlikins are the goalies now. They’re young but have promising potential. And they cost a hell of a lot less than Bob.

It sure is nice to be talking about hockey! I'd still take college football first but I think the NHL has overtaken the NFL for me.

Politics is fun on this board but hockey is MUCH better! Lol

at least Jones didn't let it the first shot of the season this year...unlike 4 of the last 5 seasons!!!

Oh, and he made this save in OT

I know how you feel. I'm a big Kings fan. It was so much fun watching them dominate for 2 cups in between those Blackhawks cups but they have been shit the last couple years.
Kings/Hawks playoff series were insane...the 2014 Game 7 WCF game was amazing. So heartbreaking to lose that one in OT knowing the winner was going to easily beat the Rangers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT