ADVERTISEMENT

The Moth

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
Easily one kf my favorite NPR shows is coming to the Englert theater in Iowa City Talking with friends that want to go watch, I asked if they would be up for speaking.

For those that don’t know, when you attend a Moth session, every attendee can put their name in to be drawn and tell a story (let’s say for 5 minutes). If you get tabbed you get to tell your story on stage in front of x amount of people.

So., question for HROT. Would you do it? This place is a story stove. Could you stand up in a theater and let it rip? Could you tell a story that kept people awake? I have one that I’m working on. Going to put my name in the hat.

Go for it. Love The Moth and recommend it to everyone I know. I’d have to come up with a story but - yeah - I’d do it.

Easily one kf my favorite NPR shows is coming to the Englert theater in Iowa City Talking with friends that want to go watch, I asked if they would be up for speaking.

For those that don’t know, when you attend a Moth session, every attendee can put their name in to be drawn and tell a story (let’s say for 5 minutes). If you get tabbed you get to tell your story on stage in front of x amount of people.

So., question for HROT. Would you do it? This place is a story stove. Could you stand up in a theater and let it rip? Could you tell a story that kept people awake? I have one that I’m working on. Going to put my name in the hat.
Love the show, couldn’t do it though. When is this? I wouldn’t mind seeing a show. I have only listened to it on the radio.

Edit: Oct 10th.

Do they do any vetting before they choose or is it all random? There are a lot of good storytellers in Iowa City.

However, $55 seems a little steep for The Moth but maybe that's just me.

I’m signed up for StorySlam in June. Topic is on Guts. I’m workshopping a story about my wife during the time when our daughter was in the NICU

Do they do any vetting before they choose or is it all random? There are a lot of good storytellers in Iowa City.

However, $55 seems a little steep for The Moth but maybe that's just me.
This is a slam event (like a poetry slam) where people get up and tell their stories. They're recorded and, if good enough, they might appear on the podcast. After hearing the stories, winners are chosen and they might have a producer work with them to improve the pacing and delivery of the story. Those people can be invited to participate in MainStage events. Story slam winners can also participate in Grand Slam competitions - the highest award is a Grand Slam champion.

Reactions: millah_22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT