ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller is claiming he didn't know, Arizona is backing him & he will probably get away with it

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

Article from the Arizona Republic:

Months, or even years, might pass before the FBI's investigation into college basketball translates into potential NCAA violations.

But Arizona has already begun stating its case.

The claims last week by Arizona coach Sean Miller, athletic director Dave Heeke and president Robert Robbins that Miller has acknowledged his responsibility to foster compliance — and statements by Miller and Heeke that the UA coach has long been doing so — demonstrate the university is prepared to defend Miller under an NCAA rule that can penalize head coaches even if they aren't aware of violations involving their programs.

Miller was not implicated in the federal complaint that resulted in the Sept. 26 arrest of UA assistant coach Book Richardson and nine other college basketball figures, but NCAA Bylaw 11.1.1.1. states that head coaches are responsible for the actions of their direct or indirect reports unless they can "rebut the presumption of responsibility."

That rebuttal possibility, which is not mentioned in the NCAA manual but is in a supplemental guide for head coaches, can take head coaches off the hook.

Instituted in 2013, Bylaw 11.1.1.1 essentially eliminates plausible deniability and puts head coaches under a guilty-until-proven-innocent standard. In order to rebut the presumption of responsibility, head coaches must prove they have fostered an atmosphere of compliance and have actively monitored their direct and indirect reports.

“They’re making sure the coaches are engaged, so they can’t turn a blind eye to it,” said Christian Dennie, a Texas-based attorney who specializes in working with schools on NCAA issues. “If they can make sure the coach is doing the right thing, they’ll probably be OK.”

So even if the NCAA finds Richardson was guilty of taking $20,000 in bribes as alleged in the federal complaint, Arizona and Miller might not be punished if the school can prove Richardson acted on his own and repeatedly misled Miller when asked repeatedly about compliance. (There are, of course, other allegations Arizona could face as a result of the complaint.)

But it’s a difficult standard to prove. Dennie said he recommends head coaches keep emails or other written records of their monitoring efforts, having been on campuses where the head coaches “don’t fully have their heads around what the requirements are.”

The exact standard of “promoting and monitoring” is also somewhat unclear itself, according to Stuart Brown, an Atlanta-based attorney who also works with schools involving NCAA issues.

“They are supposed to do both,” Brown said via email. “It is a case-by-case evaluation by the NCAA enforcement staff and then the (NCAA Committee on Infractions). Even if a coach does most or all of the ‘checklist’ coach control items, it might not be enough.

Read the whole article here: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...iller-potential-ncaa-investigation/748816001/

Last edited:
NCAA has the power to punish the school and head coach for the actions of assistants even if they 'didn't know'. He has been with MIller a long time so I assume this has been going on at Arizona a long time. This isn't going away quickly because it is an FBI investigation.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Lets hope Richardson blows the whistle on what Miller knew or at the very least ... pretty much turned a blind eye as to what his top recruiting assistant was doing.

My position has been these Head Coaches are keeping themselves at arms length away so that if their assistant gets caught violating NCAA recruiting rules they can use the "I didnt know" defense.

The difference is...this isnt the NCAA..its the FBI.

Lets hope Richardson blows the whistle on what Miller knew or at the very least ... pretty much turned a blind eye as to what his top recruiting assistant was doing.

My position has been these Head Coaches are keeping themselves at arms length away so that if their assistant gets caught violating NCAA recruiting rules they can use the "I didnt know" defense.

This situation caught me by surprise. While it is apparently unlikely, I hope that Miller didn't know.

NCAA has the power to punish the school and head coach for the actions of assistants even if they 'didn't know'. He has been with MIller a long time so I assume this has been going on at Arizona a long time. This isn't going away quickly because it is an FBI investigation.

but if you read the entire article, it appears if Miller has everything documented where he shows he monitored his assistants, he might be ok. The NCAA may think otherwise, of course.

it seems like this black cloud hovering over Arizona is going to affect recruiting for a while, too

I just worry that the FBI does not have anything on Miller and the NCAA won't do anything either, because Miller will say that he did monitor his assistants; like you said, the only hope is that the assistant tells all he knows

The spring of 2018 is going to be really interesting.

* Where will these top recruits end up?

* What will the recruiting classes look like for Louisville, Arizona, Auburn, Illinois, Oklahoma State, U SoCal, U of S Carolina, and other schools linked to this scandal?

* what schools will do a self ban from the 2018 NCAA tournament?

* will the NCAA ban any schools based on the info that comes from the FBI investigation?

This situation caught me by surprise. While it is apparently unlikely, I hope that Miller didn't know.

You're not one of the posters on here that called me nuts for saying College Basketball was this crooked are you? I sure wish I'd kept track.

The thing that will get Miller is his assistant is on a wiretap recording admitting that they paid for a current player and had an arrangement for another one. Assistant coaches don't make those things happen on their own. No one believes Pitino wasn't involved in the 100K deal at Louisville and they shouldn't believe Miller didn't have knowledge of his players being paid.

You're not one of the posters on here that called me nuts for saying College Basketball was this crooked are you? I sure wish I'd kept track.
No, not me. If you did, you would find I am skeptical of some aau programs, which a number of division I programs are cozy with.
I was referring to the AZ situation.

I'm not defending these assistants I'm not. They deserve to get whatever they are going to get including the end of their coaching careers. How stupid could they have been? From what I got ..this Arizona assistant was knocking down $300K a year..not a bad gig IMO. Why and the world would one risk that amount of money let alone their career?

Well...I have my theory. It was required. At least these assistants stuck their future & ass out there....by direct contact with all the parties involved. What do Head Coaches do?....you are not going to find them on tape. The chicken littles are hiding out ... with that little card that says "I didn't know anything".

On top of that the AD & School President are running to the defense of their boy. Yep its quite the racket..hire assistants you know will cheat (and dont need help doing so)...to get you your top of the top ranked players..and if by chance he gets caught (in this case BIG TIME caught)...use the hey he was operating on his own.

I'm sure this FBI thing caught every Head Coach a little by surprise..they have to be wondering who were the parties that helped lead the FBI to investigate.
Who knows maybe some program got sick & tired of all these illegal activities and even losing out on recruits because they dont hire assistants that commit these violations.

One thing is for sure..this is more than likely far from over...has to be some people losing a little sleep.;)

Reactions: Carlton
The thing that will get Miller is his assistant is on a wiretap recording admitting that they paid for a current player and had an arrangement for another one. Assistant coaches don't make those things happen on their own. No one believes Pitino wasn't involved in the 100K deal at Louisville and they shouldn't believe Miller didn't have knowledge of his players being paid.

Miller knows. that is why he sweats so much.

Good old plausible deniability. If it's good enough for government work, should be good enough for college basketball. Right? :eek:

Thanks Tom. Any idea where this money was coming from? Was it from Adidas only? If so, I would love to see what the purchase orders look like. For those who don't know how this works, there is a budget for everything at a company. A purchase order has to be created and approved for any purchase or payment (that is not payroll related). Then an invoice or voucher (where there is no invoice) has to be approved, which generates a payment. Who was the check made payable to? Surely not the player or the player's family. So many questions on how this all happens. I guess Adidas just has a budget for these $100,000 payments and its part of their normal business?

This is really, really sad when you think about it. All of these coaches are saying they had no idea this was going on and of course no one believes them (except the fan bases of the accused coaches).

Reactions: DanL53
I'm not defending these assistants I'm not. They deserve to get whatever they are going to get including the end of their coaching careers. How stupid could they have been? From what I got ..this Arizona assistant was knocking down $300K a year..not a bad gig IMO. Why and the world would one risk that amount of money let alone their career?

Well...I have my theory. It was required. At least these assistants stuck their future & ass out there....by direct contact with all the parties involved. What do Head Coaches do?....you are not going to find them on tape. The chicken littles are hiding out ... with that little card that says "I didn't know anything".

On top of that the AD & School President are running to the defense of their boy. Yep its quite the racket..hire assistants you know will cheat (and dont need help doing so)...to get you your top of the top ranked players..and if by chance he gets caught (in this case BIG TIME caught)...use the hey he was operating on his own.

I'm sure this FBI thing caught every Head Coach a little by surprise..they have to be wondering who were the parties that helped lead the FBI to investigate.
Who knows maybe some program got sick & tired of all these illegal activities and even losing out on recruits because they dont hire assistants that commit these violations.

One thing is for sure..this is more than likely far from over...has to be some people losing a little sleep.;)

just guessing but i think these coaches took bribes to steer players to agents and made sure players/players families got paid was because:

* "everybody" was doing it
* they thought there was no way they would ever get caught because the NCAA is weak
* there was high pressure to get these recruits
* the recruits were expecting to be paid/it was par for the course
* arranging for players/players families to be paid became an unwritten part of their job description
* they got used to the extra income and spent it

Also, it appears Chuck Person really needed the money; he must have blown all of his NBA earnings

Thanks Tom. Any idea where this money was coming from? Was it from Adidas only? If so, I would love to see what the purchase orders look like. For those who don't know how this works, there is a budget for everything at a company. A purchase order has to be created and approved for any purchase or payment (that is not payroll related). Then an invoice or voucher (where there is no invoice) has to be approved, which generates a payment. Who was the check made payable to? Surely not the player or the player's family. So many questions on how this all happens. I guess Adidas just has a budget for these $100,000 payments and its part of their normal business?

This is really, really sad when you think about it. All of these coaches are saying they had no idea this was going on and of course no one believes them (except the fan bases of the accused coaches).

From what I read when this all went down. The crook from Adidas that has been busted (Not the one that just joined from NIKE but the main one.) actually had false invoices to account for where the money went. The FBI has them now. :)

As to the coaches continuing to use the, "I didn't know" defense, I can't help but imagine some crook caught looting, cops all around, and the crook just keeps slowly putting things in his crook bag, gunny sack, whatever it is, and saying, "Oooops, dropped it!" That shit may work for the NCAA investigators who don't want to find too much. But that is also why the FBI so easily found what they have already!

It's all rather surreal. Players practicing for some schools like nothing happened. Coaches coaching for some schools like nothing happened. Bull crap nothing happened!

I think we might see some NCAA freagin' committee members actually caught tied up in all this before it is done.

In the meantime business as usual? Crazy. I guess, what's the option? But still...might not be a bad thing to actually try to fix some of the stuff and not deny it's out there.

This song goes out to Miller and all the others denying everything:

For the lyrically impaired like me:

Yo, man
Yo
Open up, man
What do you want man?
My girl just caught me
You let her catch you?
I don't know how I let this happen
With who?
The girl next door, you know?
Man