ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Hawley embraces Christian nationalism in speech

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
How very un-American of the POS:

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) used a speech Monday to embrace Christian nationalism, the idea that America as a country should be defined by one religion, Christianity.
“I’m sure some will say now that I am calling America a Christian nation, and so I am,” Hawley said at the National Conservatism Conference in Washington. “And some will say that I am advocating Christian nationalism, and so I do.”

Hawley made the comments after arguing that the United States has historically been a country “held together by the homely affections articulated in the Christian faith — love for God, love for family, love for neighbor, home and country.”
The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, and the First Amendment says Congress “shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Yet Hawley and some other Republicans argue that the government should take a more active role in promoting Christianity.
In his speech, Hawley suggested that the government remove Pride flags from federal buildings and “inscribe instead — on every building owned or operated by the federal government — our national motto: ‘In God We Trust.’”
Later on in the speech, Hawley sought to distance himself from some Christian nationalists, expressing disagreement with those who he said “recommend fearful policies: an established church, ethnocentrism.” He said that is not America’s tradition and that Americans “defend the liberty of all.”

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) used a speech Monday to embrace Christian nationalism, the idea that America as a country should be defined by one religion, Christianity.
“I’m sure some will say now that I am calling America a Christian nation, and so I am,” Hawley said at the National Conservatism Conference in Washington. “And some will say that I am advocating Christian nationalism, and so I do.”

Hawley made the comments after arguing that the United States has historically been a country “held together by the homely affections articulated in the Christian faith — love for God, love for family, love for neighbor, home and country.”
The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, and the First Amendment says Congress “shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Yet Hawley and some other Republicans argue that the government should take a more active role in promoting Christianity.
In his speech, Hawley suggested that the government remove Pride flags from federal buildings and “inscribe instead — on every building owned or operated by the federal government — our national motto: ‘In God We Trust.’”
Later on in the speech, Hawley sought to distance himself from some Christian nationalists, expressing disagreement with those who he said “recommend fearful policies: an established church, ethnocentrism.” He said that is not America’s tradition and that Americans “defend the liberty of all.”

What a nutjob

"The American Israel Public Affairs Committee’s super political action committee, United Democracy Project, has spent more than $8.4 million to unseat [Cory] Bush in her Aug. 6 Democratic primary against St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell, according to federal campaign finance records."

Why is that relevant? Because Bell was supposed to run against Josh Hawley for the Senate seat. But apparently AIPAC talked him into ousting Bush instead.

Bush may be my least favorite Squad member, but would you rather get rid of her or get rid of Hawley?

Seems like a no-brainer to me; and AIPAC made the wrong choice.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I wonder how many Deists we have her on HROT, and in America?

Sounds like a poll question to me.

The question is deist by belief or deist by label.

Few label themselves ad deist.

Most people are deist by belief though.

Ask people if they believe that we are endowed by our creator with inalienable rights, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If the answer is yes that is a deist belief, not a Christian one.

Theologically if the Christian God were to endow you with an inalienable right you would never have to worry about it. Because those rights would be defended by God himself. On top of that many of the Christian God's greatest servants lost life and liberty in his service.

I don't object to the idea that we morally speaking have rights as humans, I fully support it. I object to the idea that God gave us those rights or considers them inalienable. Those rights are granted by people for people and only people can protect them from other people. The Christian God's focuses are a little higher. On your eternal rights as his child.

Theologically if the Christian God were to endow you with an inalienable right you would never have to worry about it. Because those rights would be defended by God himself.
Now there's an interesting concept.

Reminds me of the common question: "If Good is good and loves his people, why is there suffering?"

Would it be just if I punished your child for a crime you committed, and your grandchild, and your great great grandchild and so on?

The history of sin still affects us.

I wouldn't necessarily look at death as a punishment so much as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT