ADVERTISEMENT

In a barrage of Trump lies, pet-eating immigrants stand out

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

How Trumpism Rots a Small City

In claiming to be a champion of the residents of Springfield, Ohio, Trump and his acolytes have ripped them apart.​

(Photo by Maddie McGarvey/Getty Images)

Fear and Loathing in Springfield, Ohio

—Andrew Egger

At first, it seemed like this week’s “MAGA accuses Haitian migrants of pet murder in Springfield, Ohio” story would be just a bizarro news blip.

Then Donald Trump embraced the invented narrative on live TV to an audience of tens of millions during the debate: “They’re eating the dogs, the people that came in, they’re eating the cats . . . The people on television say, my dog was taken and used for food.” And the rest of the Republican spin brigade trudged wearily after him.

“I’ve heard conflicting reports,” Tennessee Sen. Bill Hagerty said on CNN last night. “There’s a lot of information on the internet that this is happening.”

Meanwhile, a horde of YouTubers and right-wing influencers have descended on Springfield, all hoping to find smoking-gun evidence of pet-cheffery in order to give proof to the lie they’ve helped launch. What they’ve found is locals echoing back their own rumors to them: “Then I heard that stuff on Facebook,” one Springfield woman told Charlie Kirk’s Turning Point USA, “and I thought, I better watch my dogs!”

This point bears repeating. What do many residents of Springfield itself have in common with Bill Hagerty, a random shill from two states away? They’re all just repeating nonsense they saw on the internet. Not a single person who has lost a pet of their own has come forward with their story. But plenty of Springfield natives are now convinced that Haitian immigrants one subdivision over are snatching dogs and cats by the truckload.

Has there ever been a better microcosm of our Trumpified politics? A small town, strained by a wave of new migrants, thrust into the national spotlight by opportunistic politicians and conservative hucksters, churned through a balkanized media ecosystem that lets false rumors spread like weeds. Trump says he wants to protect these communities. He ends up dividing them, inflaming tensions within them, all while using them as political pawns.

The migration of thousands of Haitians to Springfield, attracted by warehouse and manufacturing jobs, has created real tensions: strained social services, language barriers, rising rents. A car crash involving a Haitian driving without a U.S. license killed an 11-year-old boy, Aiden Clark.

But what’s most notable about this story (like so many others) is how much of the prejudice underlying it is whipped up from outside the affected community. Last month, a man showed up to speak at a Springfield town hall. “I’ve come to bring a word of warning,” he said. “Stop what you’re doing before it’s too late. Crime and savagery will only increase with every Haitian you bring in.”

The man didn’t live in Springfield. He said his name was “Nathaniel Higgers,” and he was a representative of the neo-Nazi group Blood Tribe. (“Nate Higgers” is a common gag name among white supremacists, for reasons I hope I don’t have to explain.)

More polished MAGA types won’t go that far, obviously. But they too are more than happy to raise the temperature on local racial tensions to get a bump of political enthusiasm out of their national base. JD Vance, who continues to stoke the ridiculous pet-eating story, has also caricatured the more serious issues:

“Do you know what’s confirmed?” he tweeted Tuesday. “That a child was murdered by a Haitian migrant who had no right to be here.”

The same evening of Vance’s tweet, at a Springfield town meeting, Aiden’s father denounced the senator’s invocation of his son.

“I wish that my son, Aiden Clark, was killed by a 60-year-old white man,” Nathan Clark said. “I bet you never thought anyone would say something so blunt, but if that guy killed my 11-year-old son, the incessant group of hate-spewing people would leave us alone. The last thing that we need is to have the worst day of our lives violently and constantly shoved in our faces, but even that’s not good enough for them. They take it one step further. They make it seem that our wonderful Aiden appreciates your hate, that we should follow their hate.”

Spreading racist rumors about Haitians eating cats is a scandal. Forcing a grieving father to have to make these remarks is a tragedy.​

MAGA always has to have a bogeyman to scare the sheep. Because they have no platform to appeal to the masses.
- Kitty litter boxes in classrooms for furries (debunked….cant find an actual school this ever happened at)
- Jews using space lasers
- pets getting eaten by migrants
- crime being way up, when it is actually down.
- Kamala - just turned black on us.
- Obama - doesn’t have a birth certificate

If I were Kamala, I’d say, “we don’t spout stuff that doesn’t have a factual basis. But if I was going to do that….you know, some people are saying Donald Trump wears adult diapers. I saw that on TV and the internet. I don’t know, could be true.”
Speaking of Haitians isn't that where Kammies Daddy came from?

Maybe they just wanted the geese as pets?
It's all bullshit. That photo of the black man walking with a goose was taken in Colombus two months ago and posted on Reddit.

An Ohio-based Reddit user who recently photographed a Black man holding a goose is desperately pushing back on claims being spread by the country’s biggest conservatives.

On the morning of Sunday, July 28, the redditor isitmeyourelooking4x came across an individual holding what appeared to be a dead goose near the corner of Cleveland Avenue and Taymouth Road in the city of Columbus.

A member of the r/Columbus subreddit, isitmeyourelooking4x shared the photo to the group’s more than 200,000 users that same day, totally unaware that the image would later become central to misinformation regarding Ohio’s Haitian community.

Reddit post from two months ago:

But all the claims have since fallen apart. The woman accused of eating the cat is not Haitian and was born in the U.S. She was also arrested in the city of Canton, which is roughly 172 miles away from Springfield.

Police in Springfield also released a statement regarding the Facebook post, noting that there “have been no credible reports or specific claims of pets being harmed, injured, or abused by individuals within the immigrant community.”

As previously stated, the picture taken by isitmeyourelooking4x was captured not in Springfield but in Columbus, nearly 50 miles away. The Haitians in Springfield were also granted temporary protected status, meaning they are not in the country illegally.

Even with every claim lacking evidence or being outright debunked, Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), former President Donald Trump’s running mate, continued to fan the flames by citing rumors from his constituents.

“In the last several weeks, my office has received many inquiries from actual residents of Springfield who’ve said their neighbors’ pets or local wildlife were abducted by Haitian migrants,” Vance said. “It’s possible, of course, that all of these rumors will turn out to be false.”

Vance, like many other prominent conservatives, further responded by shifting the goalpost and arguing that the influx of migrants to Springfield were causing issues regardless of whether the pet-eating claims were valid.

Well if anybody is a candidate for eating pets, it must be those poor-me, bib overall wearing, trailer trash, trailer living, welfare check sucking, ADC sucking, three teethed, third grade educated hicks that live below the Mason-Dixon line. You know, the maga cult.

It's all bullshit. That photo of the black man walking with a goose was taken in Colombus two months ago and posted on Reddit.

An Ohio-based Reddit user who recently photographed a Black man holding a goose is desperately pushing back on claims being spread by the country’s biggest conservatives.

On the morning of Sunday, July 28, the redditor isitmeyourelooking4x came across an individual holding what appeared to be a dead goose near the corner of Cleveland Avenue and Taymouth Road in the city of Columbus.

A member of the r/Columbus subreddit, isitmeyourelooking4x shared the photo to the group’s more than 200,000 users that same day, totally unaware that the image would later become central to misinformation regarding Ohio’s Haitian community.

Reddit post from two months ago:

But all the claims have since fallen apart. The woman accused of eating the cat is not Haitian and was born in the U.S. She was also arrested in the city of Canton, which is roughly 172 miles away from Springfield.

Police in Springfield also released a statement regarding the Facebook post, noting that there “have been no credible reports or specific claims of pets being harmed, injured, or abused by individuals within the immigrant community.”

As previously stated, the picture taken by isitmeyourelooking4x was captured not in Springfield but in Columbus, nearly 50 miles away. The Haitians in Springfield were also granted temporary protected status, meaning they are not in the country illegally.

Even with every claim lacking evidence or being outright debunked, Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), former President Donald Trump’s running mate, continued to fan the flames by citing rumors from his constituents.

“In the last several weeks, my office has received many inquiries from actual residents of Springfield who’ve said their neighbors’ pets or local wildlife were abducted by Haitian migrants,” Vance said. “It’s possible, of course, that all of these rumors will turn out to be false.

Vance, like many other prominent conservatives, further responded by shifting the goalpost and arguing that the influx of migrants to Springfield were causing issues regardless of whether the pet-eating claims were valid.

Prescient:

s-l960.webp

Reactions: Mister_Man
Well if anybody is a candidate for eating pets, it must be those poor-me, bib overall wearing, trailer trash, trailer living, welfare check sucking, ADC sucking, three teethed, third grade educated hicks that live below the Mason-Dixon line. You know, the maga cult.
Back in the day I suppose your family had a beater Cadillac parked in the front yard.

Back in the day I suppose your family had a beater Cadillac parked in the front yard.
You must be a little woozy from the Keystone Light already this morning. That was probably your neighbor. Mine had a new one. In the garage. I know, wild things for the maga cult to try and picture.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Seems like you folk used the front yard of your shack to park your caddy
Nah I just live a regular normal upper middle class life, I'm not like the maga cult that have a trailer parked down by the river, with bales of hay piled around it to keep out the wind, cardboard taped over the broken windows, a broken unusable antenna hanging from the roof, three coon dogs laying around in their own crap drawing flies outside, a wash line dragging my bib overalls hanging on it on the ground, my dad's 22-year-old truck broken down in the backyard, Mrs Cletus inside with her apron on warming up today's possum stew, and your view across the street to the local laundromat (closed). Ah, the maga cult's magical dream. Gosh Rico... you must tear up just thinking of such things.

It’s a serious issue putting 15000 refugees into a town of 80000. Without adequate resources to help absorb them. The citizens of that city have a right to have their issues addressed.
Instead u got shit for brains talking about pet eating. Instead of what he’ll do to make it better.
He already said what he’ll do ship them the fvck out and can come back when legally go through process. You missed that and fake caring as not in you whitey area. Fingers crossed you get a flood in your area of the same mess and see if you still hear with the same tone. You the doors locked lock straight ahead type

Trump got his news directly from the people of Springfield, Ohio who in both recorded calls to the police and meetings with city council stated this was happening. Those claims were made weeks before this became major news. Live reporting from Springfield shows citizens are very concerned for their safety, city services collapsing and yes, even the wildlife like ducks and geese. All because of the hatian migrants.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
He already said what he’ll do ship them the fvck out and can come back when legally go through process. You missed that and fake caring as not in you whitey area. Fingers crossed you get a flood in your area of the same mess and see if you still hear with the same tone. You the doors locked lock straight ahead type
Yep, Bonespurs will make good on that promise as soon as he gets done building the wall and cashing Mexico's check.

Trump got his news directly from the people of Springfield, Ohio who in both recorded calls to the police and meetings with city council stated this was happening. Those claims were made weeks before this became major news. Live reporting from Springfield shows citizens are very concerned for their safety, city services collapsing and yes, even the wildlife like ducks and geese. All because of the hatian migrants.
I love it when scruffy makes stuff up. Even though he looks like an idiot doing it, He tries SO hard, we should give him a little credit. Crap... now we need to protect cats dogs geese and ducks. What animals going to be next? 🤣🤣

Yep, Bonespurs will make good on that promise as soon as he gets done building the wall and cashing Mexico's check.
What a complete TDS NuGenix needer

5B for a wall - ha ha Mexico gonna pay(in tariffs they would have)

500B+ for flooded streets of illegals and ruin budgets and drain the system and fvck Americans and the needs of them

But hey you winning in tbat whitey neighborhood with high property taxes you cannot figure out why the poors can’t figure out how the little they got is swallowed up by people that shouldn’t be here and now they more fvcked.

Don’t be an out of touch white Privledged like this HOA reports neighbors Comrades do better

I love it when scruffy makes stuff up. Even though he looks like an idiot doing it, He tries SO hard, we should give him a little credit. Crap... now we need to protect cats dogs geese and ducks. What animals going to be next? 🤣🤣

Don't worry sabs, I've got receipts :)

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
You do know those Haitian migrants are here legally, right?

Edit: Orange said himself he saw it on tv not directly from people of Springfield.

You do know those Haitian migrants are here legally, right?

Edit: Orange said himself he saw it on tv not directly from people of Springfield.

GOP doesn't want any immigrants, especially the non-white kind. They pretend to say they want legal immigration, but that is just the version they present to the public to hide their racism. These are legal immigrants and here they are attacking them.

GOP doesn't want any immigrants, especially the non-white kind. They pretend to say they want legal immigration, but that is just the version they present to the public to hide their racism. These are legal immigrants and here they are attacking them.
And they're legal immigrants that started arriving into Springfield during Trump's presidency.

It’s gross. They’re like a plague of locusts descending on the town, chewing it up and moving on.

Vance might be a bigger piece of shit than Trump.

It's because we know that Vance knows better, but does it anyways, that's why he seems like a bigger piece of shit than Trump. Trump almost certainly has some sort of clinical diagnosis or at least it seems baked into his personality, to where it's just the way he is rather than a choice.

500B+ for flooded streets of illegals and ruin budgets and drain the system and fvck Americans and the needs of them

But hey you winning in tbat whitey neighborhood with high property taxes you cannot figure out why the poors can’t figure out how the little they got is swallowed up by people that shouldn’t be here and now they more fvcked.

Don’t be an out of touch white Privledged like this HOA reports neighbors Comrades do better
I think I might be able to decipher whatever that is that you tried to write. Maybe. So... it seems that yes you are poor, and yes you are needy, and yes you were or are down and out. And you want somebody to blame for it. Okay got it. Look within son, look within. Sometimes accountability sucks.

ALERT! ALERT! PEOPLE CARRYING GEESE!! CALL THE POLICE!! 🤣🤣 scruffy has gone off the deepend it appears.

pulp fiction they speak english in what GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT